Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW F10 bootlid

Options
  • 18-01-2019 5:26pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I've just picked up a car today, a 2012 BMW 520d.
    But, opening the bootlid and it springs up so fast it nearly goes through the rear window.
    Is this a common fault and I will be bringing it back to the dealer for a repair but I'm just wondering what sort of fix is this going to take?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I've just picked up a car today, a 2012 BMW 520d.
    But, opening the bootlid and it springs up so fast it nearly goes through the rear window.
    Is this a common fault and I will be bringing it back to the dealer for a repair but I'm just wondering what sort of fix is this going to take?

There are two springs on either side of the boot which provide the tension, sounds like they may need to be replaced.

Not to be the bearer of bad news but I would also make sure that the N47 engine in that 5 series has been thoroughly looked over before the timing chain causes issues down the line.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

There are two springs on either side of the boot which provide the tension, sounds like they may need to be replaced.

Not to be the bearer of bad news but I would also make sure that the N47 engine in that 5 series has been thoroughly looked over before the timing chain causes issues down the line.

Seems all good, full BMW service history and a 12 month warranty

• Registered Users Posts: 51,156 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Definitely not normal for the boot to spring up fast.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

bazz26 wrote: »
    Definitely not normal for the boot to spring up fast.

No, it nearly took the arm off of me!
    Still, doesn't seem like a difficult fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It's not a slow opener, I wouldn't put my jaw over it...use the key to pop it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    No, it nearly took the arm off of me!
    Still, doesn't seem like a difficult fix.

Look on the bottom of the boot lid where it meets the bumper.

There are 2 manual adjusters. These are supposed to be adjustment for how easy / hard to is to slam down the lid and it to lock.

Perhaps all it is is that these are wound right out.

Very simple to put back in a bit, just twist by hand.

Now there is a decent spring up on the lid anyway. Just unlock car and hold boot button, it'll spring open, no need to lift yourself.

When I hit the button, the bootlid flies up, if it wasn't for the limits on the hinge itself you'd think the rear window is about to buy it.
    As it stands, I just hold the hand over it so it doesn't move so fast.
    There's no problem with locking it or closing it, that's fine, just the opening action is a tad too "vigorous"!

Also, the vanes on the right-most vent are coming away.
    I presume that it's a replacement job, but is this a handy job or is the whole dash coming out?

The wood trim panel comes off you can get at it then...

I'd take it all back to them to sort it if you bought it from BMW as your probably after paying through the nose for the pleasure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Our one here pops to about half way.

• Advertisement

The wood trim panel comes off you can get at it then...
    It is the vent sandwiched between the steering wheel and the driver side door.

I'd take it all back to them to sort it if you bought it from BMW as your probably after paying through the nose for the pleasure.

Didn't get it from a BMW dealer!
    But I'll probably make a snag list and bring it to the company, let them come up with solutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Most vents pry out, not a difficult job. Lots of F10s sitting breakers so you'd get one easy enough.

Most vents pry out, not a difficult job. Lots of F10s sitting breakers so you'd get one easy enough.

Most of the guides online seem to have people yanking the trim off, I'll have to do more googling!

Get the DVD player switched on if you've the wide-screen, keep the kids quite.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Ok, a bit more to it but still very easy. At 4 minutes.
    https://youtu.be/SjB33urmxdg

Get the DVD player switched on if you've the wide-screen, keep the kids quite.

Does that thing work on the go? I thought it but out while in motion.
    Yeah, I got the model with the pro-nav screen, nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Resurrecting an old thread rather than staring a new one.

I have the same problem with a 2016 F10. The boot is flying up quite dangerously. It seems to be quite a common problem and there are lots of youtube videos on how to replace the springs. I found a parts site online that sells the springs separately rather than in a set.

I have removed the panels to view the springs but I can't tell which one needs to be replaced. Is there any way of knowing? The tension in them seems to be the same on both sides

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Update on this:

The driver side is the one with the piston in it. The passenger side is a spring only with a blank in it. They are different sizes.

The part numbers are 51247204367 and 51247204366

I purchased these from Amazon - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08SMC6NB5?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Took me 20 minutes to replace both - youtube is your friend

Advertisement