Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi warranty on UK import

Options
  • 16-01-2019 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

Have a 2017 Audi imported from the UK last year.

Will Audi Ireland honour the 3rd year warranty? If not will Audi Belfast honour it?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I'd say you will have to go to north as Irish dealer or Audi Ireland will have no interest in you and I don't believe they are bound to honour the 3rd year.
    A trip north should be painless enough if required.

On a related note, a friend of mine was over from UK on hols a few years back with a 2.5 year old s class mercedes. He was a UK resident.
    Anyway, he had a breakdown, called whatever emergency number mercedes had supplied and was stunned when someone from mercedes in Ireland told him they wouldn't be doing anything under warranty and he would have to pay for repair.
    One phone call to his dealer in the UK and he had an apology from the Irish guy, a recovery truck within the half hour with a new E class on the back to keep him going while they did the warranty work.
    Moral of the story is that we are treated like sh1t here.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Usually the first 2 years are European wide under EU law, however the 3rd year is most likely is an Audi UK addition so may not be honored outside the UK. Best thing to do is ring a few dealers here and see what they say. As said you may have to travel to a dealer in the North if it's worth your while getting it done under warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Audi ROI don't cover the third year, but Audi NI will as Audi NI is operated by the UK distributor who covers the 3rd year additional warranty.
    mickdw wrote: »
    On a related note, a friend of mine was over from UK on hols a few years back with a 2.5 year old s class mercedes. He was a UK resident.
    Anyway, he had a breakdown, called whatever emergency number mercedes had supplied and was stunned when someone from mercedes in Ireland told him they wouldn't be doing anything under warranty and he would have to pay for repair.
    One phone call to his dealer in the UK and he had an apology from the Irish guy, a recovery truck within the half hour with a new E class on the back to keep him going while they did the warranty work.
    Moral of the story is that we are treated like sh1t here.

The actual moral of the story is the garage that he gave his custom to got him sorted as that's who he spent his money with and he received good customer service.

It's not that we are treated like **** here. The Irish dealer has no avenue to get paid for the work and absolutely no obligation to do it for free. They wouldn't be in business for long working for nothing.

Most roadside assist packages are European wide, even into the extended warranty period, so this would cover his recovery and hire vehicle. Obviously the UK dealer either had to call in a favour or foot the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Thanks lads. No issue with Irish reg going north ?

• Advertisement

Definitely not, the warranty is off the chassis. So either have the old UK reg or full chassis to hand when making a booking.

Audi ROI don't cover the third year, but Audi NI will as Audi NI is operated by the UK distributor who covers the 3rd year additional warranty.

The actual moral of the story is the garage that he gave his custom to got him sorted as that's who he spent his money with and he received good customer service.

It's not that we are treated like **** here. The Irish dealer has no avenue to get paid for the work and absolutely no obligation to do it for free. They wouldn't be in business for long working for nothing.

Most roadside assist packages are European wide, even into the extended warranty period, so this would cover his recovery and hire vehicle. Obviously the UK dealer either had to call in a favour or foot the bill.

The man's car was under warranty. Just because he drove it into Ireland on holidays doesnt change that. The contact number for breakdowns was via the UK. It was only when the UK relayed it to an irish dealer that the crap happened. I'm sure there are agreements in place Europe wide within Mercedes to ensure customers are looked after as was clearly demonstrated once friend rang his dealer.
    This is a different scenario to an irish resident looking for the 3rd year of cover but you will say it's exactly the same.
    The customer bought a top line Mercedes and is asked for money to repair it within warranty. Whatever way you want to break that down, it's a disgrace and Mercedes or anyone else need to ensure that doesn't happen anywhere in Europe.
    We saw that a phone call was sufficient to make it happen in this case so I'd still go with the treated like crap angle.
    Dealer clearly got paid so surely whatever agreement was done should be in place should anyone happen to have a breakdown while under warranty and not be told they would have to pay for work. He wasn't told he could claim it back in UK or anything just that he will have to pay. Also, truck or replacement car wasn't offered either just basically if you are not paying, goodbye.

The man's car was under warranty. Just because he drove it into Ireland on holidays doesnt change that.

Absolutely correct, his holiday doesn't change the status of his warranty. It also doesn't change the fact however that his warranty is exclusively backed by the MB UK dealer network.
    The contact number for breakdowns was via the UK.

As I said, with most manufacturers, the roadside assist packages are Europe wide, even when the warranty itself isn't, e.g. after the first 24 months. I don't know if that's the case for certain with MB, but it is for many many manufacturers.
    It was only when the UK relayed it to an irish dealer that the crap happened. I'm sure there are agreements in place Europe wide within Mercedes to ensure customers are looked after as was clearly demonstrated once friend rang his dealer.

Id bet the house on the fact that the UK dealer called the Irish one with a Visa card number.
    This is a different scenario to an irish resident looking for the 3rd year of cover but you will say it's exactly the same.

Well, it is the same. It's a UK distributed chassis, with a warranty active with UK retailers only and it's outside of the UK, so there is absolutely no warranty cover on it.
    The customer bought a top line Mercedes and is asked for money to repair it within warranty. Whatever way you want to break that down, it's a disgrace and Mercedes or anyone else need to ensure that doesn't happen anywhere in Europe.
    We saw that a phone call was sufficient to make it happen in this case so I'd still go with the treated like crap angle.

Just because you want it to be, doesn't make it so, in terms of "disgrace" etc etc. Whats a disgrace is being wealthy and intelligent enough to afford a new E-Class and not knowing the basic particulars of the warranty cover on it. It's a big investment. Look, though, in the long run, it's a good news story; he consulted his selling dealer and they didn't so much as flinch, they got him absolutely sorted and as you say, that's the moral of the story here.

It was an S class btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Thanks lads. No issue with Irish reg going north ?

None at all. Had my Allroad up with Agnew's a few times earlier in its life. Even got an NI reg loaner and transferred insurance with no issues.

• Advertisement

Reassuring lads. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

I'm not so sure. I've a 2017 BMW and similarly have 3 year warranty with two years only EU wide. If you read the small print the 3rd year will only apply to vehicles registered in the UK. I'm guessing that since its exported it's no longer registered in the UK. I could be wrong.

I'm also unsure how this effects getting the extended warranty - you have to get it before the main warranty runs out. It basically runs out at the end of two years here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

The third year is usually only valid in the UK, so if there is a problem it won't be covered here, however a trip up North will sort it. The first two are valid here because they are a manufacturer's warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

BMW are different where BMW Ireland and BMW UK are the same distributor ultimately they will pay for any warranty work done by a main dealer in either country.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SBPhoto

The third year is usually only valid in the UK, so if there is a problem it won't be covered here, however a trip up North will sort it. The first two are valid here because they are a manufacturer's warranty.
    Not true, 3years warranty on a UK Import is also valid here, Audi do 3yrs warranty on new cars sold here since 2013

Audi Warranty

Our guarantee to you As proof of the confidence we have in the quality of every new Audi, we offer a three-year manufacturer’s warranty, three-year paint warranty and a 12-year body protection warranty.

Three-year manufacturer’s warranty 320x160-warranty-image1.jpg
    From 2013, all Audi vehicles come with a three-year warranty which protects your vehicle against the failure of mechanical and electrical components due to manufacturing defects. 2 years unlimited mileage with cover in the third year up to 90,000km

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

BIL has Audi in NI honour warranty of his A4, they did additional work that was covered and provided a car for the day too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

SBPhoto wrote: »
    Not true, 3years warranty on a UK Import is also valid here, Audi do 3yrs warranty on new cars sold here since 2013

From 2013, all Audi vehicles come with a three-year warranty which protects your vehicle against the failure of mechanical and electrical components due to manufacturing defects. 2 years unlimited mileage with cover in the third year up to 90,000km

Well I must confess to being unaware that Irish market Audis had a three year warranty, it is still possible that the third year of a UK warranty may not be covered here. Typically, the third year is covered by the dealer network so Irish dealers will not cover a UK dealer warranty. If it's a manufacturer's warranty then yes, there will be no problem.

Irish Audis have a third year warranty, as do the UK cars but the third year is non transferable between regions.

Irish Audis have a third year warranty, as do the UK cars but the third year is non transferable between regions.
    I have had a small item replaced under warranty with Audi here in the third year, my A6 is a 161 UK import no problem with warranty, covered here for the 3 years according to Audi Ireland

That would be sweet.

• Advertisement

I have had a small item replaced under warranty with Audi here in the third year, my A6 is a 161 UK import no problem with warranty, covered here for the 3 years according to Audi Ireland

There may have been factory goodwill if it's a common component to fail. Year 3 is not covered.

There may have been factory goodwill if it's a common component to fail. Year 3 is not covered.
    Audi Waterford informed me that is was covered under the manufactures warranty. no problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

I was only told by Audi south Dublin that the 3rd year was not covered in Ireland as it was a UK import.

Swapped it for a Bmw this week as they will cover UK imports in Ireland no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,170 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

heroics wrote: »
    I was only told by Audi south Dublin that the 3rd year was not covered in Ireland as it was a UK import.

Swapped it for a Bmw this week as they will cover UK imports in Ireland no problem.

2 years is EU law, anything else is by whatever deal each importer in each country has with each other.

Swapping a car purely for warranty purposes would seem idiotic?

heroics wrote: »

Under what circumstances did they tell you this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

What's the position with UK new car warranties in this country post-brexit?

mickdw wrote: »
    Under what circumstances did they tell you this?

Car wouldn’t start. Audi assist came out got it started and said to bring it to Audi to get checked. Booked it into Audi south Dublin no problems. About an hour after dropping it in got a phone call to say it’s a UK import and they couldn’t look at it under warranty.

2 years is EU law, anything else is by whatever deal each importer in each country has with each other.

Swapping a car purely for warranty purposes would seem idiotic?

Well there were a couple of problems and as Audi wouldn’t fix them under warranty and I didn’t want to bring it up the north I got rid of the car.

Advertisement