Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there any plans to upgrade the signalling systems & speeds of the waterford line

Options
  • 12-01-2019 9:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭

With the whole drivers recruitment drive being announced due to future upgrades and NTA stuff mentioned in the news I've been wondering what plans are in place for rail transport in Ireland in the next 5-10 years?

I know in the last 20 years I've seen the Dublin - Waterford line improve a lot in terms of speed and frequency but it's still a slow enough up to 2 hours 45 minutes at times.

The Waterford - Clonmel line is dire too and needs some serious upgrading it seems. (from a commuters point of view).

Do you think in the future there'd ever be 2 rails the entire length of the line?
    Will we ever see increased frequency of express trains with less or no stops between cities?
    Will Kilkenny platform ever be lengthened to accommodate the longer trains?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,989 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

as far as i know no upgrades are planned for the waterford-dublin line, but that could change and maybe it has but i haven't heard anything. double tracking it as much as is possible would be good, but it will be expensive so i can't see it happening unfortunately. as far as i know, and i might be wrong, Kilkenny platform can't be lengthened. of course had they kept the station where it originally was then perhapse there may have been room but perhapse i'm wrong on that also.

waterford-clonmell-limerick junction will probably be shut in the next few years unfortunately. certainly potentiall for a good service but neither irish rail or the NTA seem to give a damn about it, it has been effectively left to die over decades. track renewal has taken place i believe but nothing in return in the form of anything that could be called a service. ridiculous but there you go.

in relation to increases of express trains between the cities, i would think there certainly may be scope for a few more at morning and evening but whether they will happen or not is anyone's guess.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

Why can't Kilkenny be expended?

Whats the latest on Waterfords new station?

Is the speed limit not restricted due to the ground or something.

Can't ever see the whole line been doubled. Maybe as far as Carlow would be in scope. Making more use of Lavistown Curve would decrease journey times and help with frequency.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

IE 222 wrote: »

There was a thread about it before Christmas (re why u can't have longer trains on that line) & I think the answer is because Mc Donagh Junction was built in the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Can't ever see the whole line been doubled. Maybe as far as Carlow would be in scope. Making more use of Lavistown Curve would decrease journey times and help with frequency.

Making more use of the curve would eliminate trains calling at Kilkenny - how would that be sensible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Idea what you could do is run Dublin to Kilkenny commuter services and then have Dublin to Waterford trains not calling at Kilkenny. Or open up a Manulla Junction style station at the Lavistown curve and run shuttles.

• Advertisement

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Making more use of the curve would eliminate trains calling at Kilkenny - how would that be sensible?

I know, thats the point. The poster was asking about shorter journey times and extra services. As some express services already run via the curve there is no reason why more can't.

There was a thread about it before Christmas (re why u can't have longer trains on that line) & I think the answer is because Mc Donagh Junction was built in the way!

I was talking more along the lines of extending eastwards. Loose the signal box and siding and just extend platform 1.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Idea what you could do is run Dublin to Kilkenny commuter services and then have Dublin to Waterford trains not calling at Kilkenny. Or open up a Manulla Junction style station at the Lavistown curve and run shuttles.

Manulla style wont happen and is pointless.

They could start the morning Carlow - Dublin from Kilkenny and run the 6am from Waterford as an express only calling at Thomastown, Carlow, Athy and get into Dublin around 7:45am.

Maybe an earlier 615am service from Dublin to Carlow would allow for 7:30am return service from Carlow.

An extra Midday service from Dublin would help fill the gap between the 1450 & 18:30 Waterford - Dublin services and maybe push the evening services out a bit to give a later evening departure in either direction as 18:30 always seemed a little early for the last train on such a short route.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,670 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

The signalling system is still newish (14 years) but yes they need to fix the long standing issues at Rossinan, Bennettsbridge and Coppenagh.

New turnouts at Muine Bheag and restoring the old speed limit plus dropping it off the 07.05 would be the best short term upgrade. Remove the speed restriction which was temp at Bennettsbridge.

Indications last year was not until 2021-2022 but chances are it will be delayed.

It's only Thomastown-Waterford where the line isn't great.
    I was talking more along the lines of extending eastwards. Loose the signal box and siding and just extend platform 1.

Signal box is now disused after the new signalling was moved last year. Extending the other end is better and cheaper. With more ICR middle coaches coming I don't see it happening.

Most of the current problems are timetable issues and the continued refusal to produce a complete new Heuston timetable. The current one is in place 6 years any every adjustment they made is just extra time to cover themselves instead of looking at the real problems.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

Signal box is now disused after the new signalling was moved last year. Extending the other end is better and cheaper. With more ICR middle coaches coming I don't see it happening.

Surely the extra middle coaches increases the likelihood of it happening with longer trains. I thought they couldn't use the old train shed end due to the shopping centre hence the buffers moved forward the and u-shaped platforms.

Does the underground carpark entrance prevent trains travelling further down the old station at all??

• Advertisement

Surely the extra middle coaches increases the likelihood of it happening with longer trains. I thought they couldn't use the old train shed end due to the shopping centre hence the buffers moved forward the and u-shaped platforms.

Does the underground carpark entrance prevent trains travelling further down the old station at all??

Well 201's were able to run round when it opened in 2007, they moved the buffers instead of putting in a new lift/footbridge to platform 2.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Well 201's were able to run round when it opened in 2007, they moved the buffers instead of putting in a new lift/footbridge to platform 2.

Well if they still have ownership and access it obviously makes sense to extend westwards into the old shed but i was off the understanding thats prevented with a sale of the land to the shopping centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭Qrt

waterford-clonmell-limerick junction will probably be shut in the next few years unfortunately. certainly potentiall for a good service but neither irish rail or the NTA seem to give a damn about it, it has been effectively left to die over decades. track renewal has taken place i believe but nothing in return in the form of anything that could be called a service. ridiculous but there you go.

Considering Tipperary has some of the most vocal TDs in the Dáil, it’s remarkable to see how little they seem to care about a railway line which is almost entirely within the Tipperary constituency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Qrt wrote: »
    Considering Tipperary has some of the most vocal TDs in the Dáil, it’s remarkable to see how little they seem to care about a railway line which is almost entirely within the Tipperary constituency.

They’re a car loving community in South Tipp.

Give them credit they are managing just about to run the current schedule with trains instead of buses these days...

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

Qrt wrote: »

I dont hold any candle for Tipp TD's but that comment is somewhat unfair imo, Not an issue all over the county for starters, Thurles has numerous daily trans for eg to Dub/Cork so they can iive without W/F. The Wexford/Waterford line campaigners didn't get very far nor the Navan campaigners. There is an excellent service from Limerick Junction to Dub/Cork and Limerick but a hopeless timetable to W/F entirely unsuitable for most purposes so guess they have given up on it. Apart from Clonmel, towns in South Tipp seem quite depressed so guess the TD's have other priorities.

The problem with that line is the connections it tries to cater for. Clonmel and the likes must be one of the most connected stations in the country with a connection to every city in the country. The only place its doesn't offer a connection to on the Hueston side is Westport. I really don't think there is a need nor demand for onward connections other than Dublin and Waterford. Any other possible connections resulting from serving Limerick Jct shouldn't dictate the timetable. The current timetable is like connecting Enniscorthy with Dublin, Wexford, Belfast, Sligo and Hazelhatch just becase it serves Connolly.

My guess is any potential commuters a long the line would want to travel into waterford in the mornings. They should look at running the service from Limerick instead. If the 5:30am Limerick - Dublin set could be split in Limerick Jct a service could reach Waterford to connect with the 7:50am Waterford - Dublin service.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭questionmark?

First train arrives into Waterford at 11:29. Second train arrives in at 20:30.
    Completely useless service.

What's astonishing is the cost of a ticket tomorrow from Clonmel to Waterford is €3:59!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

First train arrives into Waterford at 11:29. Second train arrives in at 20:30.
    Completely useless service.

What's astonishing is the cost of a ticket tomorrow from Clonmel to Waterford is €3:59!!!!!!

Is it really that cheap? It would be several times that to get to Kilkenny or Carlow which would be a similar distance on the Dublin line !

Kilkenny platform length issue is a surprise? Could the donkeys not have factored that in when developing Macdonagh Junction ? Which btw the part of the old station is completely undeveloped and in typical IR fashion dilapidated and neglected- they can’t even operate a lift properly at Kk.
    There’s definitely potential for another morning service from Kilkenny that would be very well used- there’s only one service that gets in before 9.00am (6.42-8.11 am) and is always packed. So much untapped potential on the IR network that could take pressure off the M7 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭questionmark?

road_high wrote: »
    Is it really that cheap? It would be several times to get to Kilkenny or Carlow which would be a similar distance on the Dublin line !

It is that cheap. I checked the Irish rail website. So cheap it's basically free! If they really want to encourage people to use the line then 1) have train times that get in to waterford and limerick in time for work or hospital appointments. Also add a Sunday service for students 2) Advertise it. Many people in the area (folks live in the area) don't even know a service is in place it's nuts!

• Advertisement
Advertisement