Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The relative paucity of state-created resources

Options
  • 03-01-2016 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭

I only recently became interested in brushing up on my Irish, and, obviously, my first stop was Google, and then the Gaeltacht department website, to see what resources were available.

I was more than a little disappointed to find no free online course, or pdf book.

Given the amount we spend on the Irish language each year, shouldn't the Department have spent the capital required to formulate a course, or even just buy the copyright of one of the better books?

It seems a little unfair to have to pay to learn a language which ought to be native to me.

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,710 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I take it you're not paying your water charges or property tax either then?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I take it you're not paying your water charges or property tax either then?

They're paid alright.

But you'd think after all the talk about Irish, and reviving the living language, we could at least have some sort of official online guide to learning Irish, for those adults that wish to.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

I think Duolingo is free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Caoimhgh1n

If you are near a Gaeltacht, you would be surprised what a bit of emersion can do.

If not, go to your local library, they usually have something.

Advertisement