Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Book to teach Toddler from Gaeilge

Options
  • 05-12-2011 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hey lads,

In a bit of pickle - I need to find an Irish book for my sister. She has an 18 month old baby and wants an Irish language book so she can teach him a few words.

She wants him to get a handle on it from the get-go and has intrusted me with the task of find such a book. I think she wants a general story book as gaeilge:cool:

Any chance ye could point me in the right direction - I've found Irish books on the web but due to my lack of fluency I can't really tell which would be suitable.

Thanks!:D

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I know primary school teachers are very fond of "big books" for starting literacy lessons with Junior Infants. They have the words in large font and have pictures to go with the story, so they're ideal for parents/teachers reading with children.

The school-books section of your local book-shop should have them in English. It might be harder to source them in Irish because of how the Primary School curriculum is structured (no reading as Gaeilge until 2nd Class). Do you have any contacts working in Gaelscoileanna?

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭craoltoir

There are plenty of books available for pre-school children. You could check sites like siopagaeilge.ie, litriocht.com or leabhar.com. If you visit Dublin check out An Siopa Leabhar, 6 Harcourt Street, Dublin 2. A catalogue of children's publications is available here: http://www.irish.ie/dynamic/file/Catalg_2011_leabhairagusabhair_do_dhaoine_oga.pdf

Some books have CD's with them such as Máire agus a mála and Micí Moncaí: http://www.siopagaeilge.ie/products/Leabhair%20do%20Ph%E1ist%ED/phaisti47/product13b-70.htm

Go n-éirí leat!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Bran agus a Cháirde, are the best "BIG" books for pre-school kids

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭boogeyman

Guys thanks a million! - I'm gonna check them out right away.

Cheers:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Gaeilge72

Also, have you seen BabógBaby's teddy bear? It is a young child's toy where you press the various parts of him. He teaches words, colours, etc. Lovely for a child of that age - very cute bear too! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

Gaeilge72 wrote: »
    Also, have you seen BabógBaby's teddy bear? It is a young child's toy where you press the various parts of him. He teaches words, colours, etc. Lovely for a child of that age - very cute bear too! :)

Saw this yesterday in Mac Gabhann's. Nice piece of work, but not visually attractive to a child, it's a strange mix of olive/dark green.

There's an Usborne Céad Focail book that I can't recommend enough, all of the nouns as Gaeilge that the child will need....

• Registered Users Posts: 12 treass

Very good online shop here, everything seems to be catered for :)
    http://www.futafata.ie/index.php?language=en&osCsid=9e61baa1f00621645c334800abc7aa38

Advertisement