Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Life in Ireland during the recession...

• 11-10-2010 4:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭

Just back from town...

Everyone looks happy.
    Everyone getting on with daily life.
    Everyone smiling, having the craic.
    Shopping, people singing.

Then you read the papers or watch the news and read/hear the whole country is "suffering" and "depressed." Read boards and its the end of the world!

Life goes on, and the country isnt as bad as you think it is.

I love Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,106 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Which 'Town' ... ooooo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭SamSamSammy

dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

chances are that the people you saw were either

1: public sector workers
    2: welfare scroungers
    3: pensioners

one thing in common... guaranteed income each and every week and well paid at that :mad:

Haha, always with the negativity.

Go out and enjoy life! Everyone else is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭BrenosBolts91

Hooray

• Advertisement

and most people still thing that the boom will be back next week, that the government will wipe out their debts and all will be well.

you havn't seen anything yet, this is the start

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Haha, always with the negativity.

Go out and enjoy life! Everyone else is.

Damn straight...who needs a job anyway. Its only money....I can just tell the bank I will pay them back later, meanwhile I am off to the shops to buy me a pair of rose tinted glasses. Are they scratch resistent? I would hate for them to scratch and allow the reality to set in you see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Timistry

:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,370 ✭✭✭bladespin

Getting all angry and depressed isn't going to help anything, as usual there's a few begrudgers out there, only difference is they begrudge you a smile now. :rolleyes:

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Rabble Rabble

CamperMan wrote: »
    and most people still thing that the boom will be back next week, that the government will wipe out their debts and all will be well.

You spent the entire boom waiting for the recession, didnt you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Ireland will never recover. We will return to our third world status and live off scraps from tourists.

Whilst there is obviously more money than we think, evidenced by that lady who sent €100,000 from under her mattress to Lottery Win scam artists, the means to create new and sustained wealth has been destroyed and we are left with an increasing toxic piles.

Literally too. like the Irish Steel site in Cobh that the Irish Gov sold for a £1 and now face €100,000 a day fines from the EU for their failure to clean up the radio active dump on site.

And there are more .... we sold our agriculture, fertilizer, steel, ship building, food production, bakeries ... the list is endless.

I am thinking of moving back to Ireland, as the recession is not really hitting the area I work . Seen some fine cheap property.

gbee wrote: »
    Ireland will never recover. We will return to our third world status and live off scraps from tourists.

Whilst there is obviously more money than we think, evidenced by that lady who sent €100,000 from under her mattress to Lottery Win scam artists, the means to create new and sustained wealth has been destroyed and we are left with an increasing toxic piles.

Literally too. like the Irish Steel site in Cobh that the Irish Gov sold for a £1 and now face €100,000 a day fines from the EU for their failure to clean up the radio active dump on site.

And there are more .... we sold our agriculture, fertilizer, steel, ship building, food production, bakeries ... the list is endless.

All sold and packed off to China. Shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Acapella

dublin.

Take a trip to Limerick....Angelas Ashes has nothing on the Limerick City of 2010.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

There has been a number of changes and observations I've seen.

Everyone is having a whinge every second of the day.

"Recession" possibly became the most misused word in the English language.

Finger pointing/wagging was at an all time high.

The political game got so blatantly obviously patronizing trying to turn the lower class against the government.

Irish people are completely unrealistic and wont accept simple facts,solutions and inevitabilities like cost cuts, cuttbacks and/or redundancies.

I am thankful now I put myself through college and didn't take up the labour jobs I could have taken there a few years back. Couple of months outa college and I'm in a long term contract job paying nice money.

There is so much wrong going on alright, but I wouldn't say the "banks" and the "government" are the biggest problem imo...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

Guys, this thread shows just what's wrong with these boards. I'm not for an instant going to suggest all is well but I agree fully with the OP in that life does go on.

I raised a similar point when the news of unemployment fell last month. Most people here simply twisted it into bad news which is wasn't. What's going on here is the polar opposite of the Celtic Tiger belief that the boom can't end in that many believe the bust can't end.

Things will improve. It may take time but whining and begrudging won't make you feel any better or change anything, so why do it?

There is so much wrong going on alright, but I wouldn't say the "banks" and the "government" are the biggest problem imo...

Very true. I look at Irish history like this; When the English were here, they caused all our problems. After they left, the Church was the source of all our ills. Now they're both gone so now it's the bankers. I'm not absolving those parties of anything but I think there's a pattern at work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

It's a beautiful sunny day, only if we had more of these

@op wait till these people realise their childrens schools are falling apart, the hospitals are closing, welfare is reduced, rates on mortgage go up, roads are potholed etc etc etc
    since its a Monday the people you seen are obviously not at work...

grafton street was buzzing today absolutely packed and the sun shining.. beautiful.

Yes there are bad bits, but theres no need to be all depressed about the future, life it what you make it.

Having a negative attitude will get you no where in life imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

Acapella wrote: »
    Take a trip to Limerick....Angelas Ashes has nothing on the Limerick City of 2010.

Hmm, so families of 10 living in two room hovels with no lights, no heating, no running water and no sewage facilities is now common in Limerick? On top of that, infant mortality is up so that any parent can expect to loose a child to TB or something similar?

Forgive me being crass but a statement like that proves you have no idea just how hard life was here in the past. If you want to see real hardship, type "great irish famine" into google.

Exactly mate!

People complaining of the recession from a warm home, with fast broadband and a 50" HD TV, with Sky on, the works. Have food and drink..

Life is OK, stop hating Ireland!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 549 ✭✭✭unit 1

Ispat still waiting for a tweet from Dan BrownBoyle about that.:rolleyes:

grafton street was buzzing today absolutely packed and the sun shining.. beautiful.

Yes there are bad bits, but theres no need to be all depressed about the future, life it what you make it.

Having a negative attitude will get you no where in life imo.

:eek: what about recent graduates whom studied hard for 5 years in a 40hr a week course only to be told by everything company you apply for to either **** or they ignore you even exist. Its grand for people in the PS or a secure job that they got before the cuntry went tits up.

I have not got a negative attitude. I have never got a penny from the government. In fact I earned so little that I was not entitled to any social welfare. There were no jobs in my field so I left my family and friends to find a better life besides wasting away in a country that I LOVE:(

OOOOO Grafton street was buzzing. Call the IMF and tell them that we are grand out! There are lots of people walking on one street in the entire country. Therefore, the public finances are fine?:rolleyes: they were probably dreaming of what they could afford to buy/were buying before they were in masssive negative equity.

I do believe that Ireland will recover to resemble a pseudo 1st world country and I feel priviliged to have been a teen in the celtic tiger era even though i lived in a rural area and did not benefit from the boom. Therefore im not negative overall!

Ireland shouldnt need the IMF, may have to have a few taxes and indeed we'll all lose out, but sure this is life, you take the rough with the smooth, you move on, you get by..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭trihead

Timistry wrote: »
    :eek: what about recent graduates whom studied hard for 5 years in a 40hr a week course only to be told by everything company you apply for to either **** or they ignore you even exist. Its grand for people in the PS or a secure job that they got before the cuntry went tits up.

I have not got a negative attitude. I have never got a penny from the government. In fact I earned so little that I was not entitled to any social welfare. There were no jobs in my field so I left my family and friends to find a better life besides wasting away in a country that I LOVE:(

OOOOO Grafton street was buzzing. Call the IMF and tell them that we are grand out! There are lots of people walking on one street in the entire country. Therefore, the public finances are fine?:rolleyes: they were probably dreaming of what they could afford to buy/were buying before they were in masssive negative equity.

I do believe that Ireland will recover to resemble a pseudo 1st world country and I feel priviliged to have been a teen in the celtic tiger era even though i lived in a rural area and did not benefit from the boom. Therefore im not negative overall!

If you did your 5 years [college] in Ireland which I'm assuming who did - who do you think paid your college fees? 1500+ euro reg fees don't count as fees :rolleyes:

trihead wrote: »
    If you did your 5 years [college] in Ireland which I'm assuming who did - who do you think paid your college fees? 1500+ euro reg fees don't count as fees :rolleyes:

Well 4 years in Ireland. I think it was around 750eu the first year or 2. Id gladly work and pay taxes to pay the money my free education cost. I have no intention in sponging of the state. I never have and I hopefully never will. Jez people are so defensive these days and think that the young are negative expendibles whom complain about their current situation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Johnny Favourite

People need to start putting the session back into the recession!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

i have to agree with the op people today are so busy moaning about the recession they don't stop for a minute to realise how good they got it,

If you have, a mobile phone, sky tv, food on the table and clothes on your back you are not living in a 'recession' you ARE officially a million times better off then someone who lived in a previous recession. yes mobile phones weren't around and either was sky tv, but damn it you want to know hard times take a look at the average household budget in 1960 in relation to income vs outgoings.

The Irish media are doing what we Irish always do....thinking abut only the bad side...'poor us' and 'it's not my fault its *insert person/group to be blamed*'

we need to get optimistic....for example "if i take a 20% pay cut now, yes ill struggle (have to give up my vodka and red bulls on Saturday night) but in 3 years time i will be back on my original salary and still have a job"

If we just adapted our way of thinking to a more positive route and accepted we ALL have to take a hit right here right now, then life in a recession wouldn't look so bad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

What recession?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

chances are that the people you saw were either

1: public sector workers
    2: welfare scroungers
    3: pensioners

one thing in common... guaranteed income each and every week and well paid at that :mad:

I dream for the day I can give up my high paying job to be on the dole or getting a ****ty pension...

• Advertisement

we need to get optimistic....for example "if i take a 20% pay cut now, yes ill struggle (have to give up my vodka and red bulls on Saturday night) but in 3 years time i will be back on my original salary and still have a job"
    QUOTE]

No you wont and its best for the economy if you dont. Thats why the Croke park agreement is the biggest piece of blackmail this country has ever seen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Someone sounds bitter. Things aren't bad for some people, so get over it.

I am none of the above on your previously posted list and most of the people out in town and going to the top restaurants are not either.
    Bookings are hard to get in Dublin at the moment and I'm saying that from experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Under A Funeral Moon

It's well for all of those folk out shopping on Grafton Street today. Some of us had to enjoy the "beautiful sunny day" from our workplaces. I'm glad you had a nice day though, OP.

When I was in there, it was lunch time, everyone with a smile and having the craic, normal life goes on....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

All sold and packed off to China. Shocking.

The Chinese though, a great bunch of lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

"Splash some cold water on your face and go outside. You'll see things are just the way you left them."

- Mad Men screenwriter

• Advertisement

Superbus wrote: »
    "Splash some cold water on your face and go outside. You'll see things are just the way you left them."

- Mad Men screenwriter

but he is now a multi-millionaire legend :confused:

OisinT wrote: »
    Someone sounds bitter. Things aren't bad for some people, so get over it.

I am none of the above on your previously posted list and most of the people out in town and going to the top restaurants are not either.
    Bookings are hard to get in Dublin at the moment and I'm saying that from experience.

balls to it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

JE5US CHR!ST! You are all a big bunch of begrudgers on here!

Everyones in the **** at the end of the day, get over it and sort your own gaff out!

Christ on a stick!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

chances are that the people you saw were

public sector workers
    :mad:

Howzat?:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Still about 88% of the country are employed and town is full of happy ripped off tourists - If you want to see doom and gloom , walk around a council estate after Jeremy Kyle finishes when they decide to get up and go to the pub in their Pyjamas

• Advertisement

If I could get dole, I would.

money for me, money for the mrs, rent paid for.. not just some crappy 2 up 2 down, no, I could afford a nice big house on the dole because the state will pay for it.. the government should slash welfare by 75%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Couldnt agree with the OP more, I wish people would just shut the **** up about it cos for most of them life is exactly the same.

In fact, for anyone on a salary, which again is MOST people in the country (not all, but the majority) they could even be better off financially now in day to day life.

Wage same, everything else cheaper. Grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

It really is the same as the people who talked up the bubble, except in reverse.

Things will never stop going down, things will get far worse, IMF etc. etc.

As during the bubble, people will just muddle on, best they can.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

Thats the spirit OP! F*ck the merchants of fear :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

i was in dublin on saturday night at the oktoberfest and there was a queue all the way back to georges dock luas stop to get in at 6pm

isn't it gas how this thread gets so little, yet a thread on leaving Ireland has nearly 200 posters.

Moan, moan, moan. Look on the bright side of life ffs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

If I could get dole, I would.

money for me, money for the mrs, rent paid for.. not just some crappy 2 up 2 down, no, I could afford a nice big house on the dole because the state will pay for it.. the government should slash welfare by 75%
    Ah yes, so what if I used to work between 80-90 hours a week doing two jobs, used to come home with about a grand after taxes, I'm clearly a lazy git who hasn't had to spend the bones of 5k on courses since none of them are financed, clealy i deserve 50e a week after working since I was 17-21. But I'm a young male, I don't count right?

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭whatswhat

Never a truer word spoken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

whatswhat wrote: »
    Never a truer word spoken.

Without a reference, what word was never truer?

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭whatswhat

Without a reference, what word was never truer?

Sorry,forgot to add quote.Was reading the guys comment about if you want to see true hardship,google The Great Famine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement