Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-Open Lisbon-Abortion Thread Please

Options
  • 28-05-2008 5:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭

I cannot believe that moderator oscarBravo shut down my thread on the Lisbon Treaty and abortion. It is politicised abuse of moderator power on his behalf and the thread should be re-opened. He talks about promoting discussion but himself makes blunt, dictatorial posts such as "What part of ___ is unclear?", leaving no room to consider the finer points.

If a reasonably open forum like Boards.ie doesn't have the guts to talk about Lisbon and Abortion, it's no wonder at all that the media and political parties can't handle it.

If this thread is more appropriate in the development section, feel free to move it there.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

You still haven't explained with sufficient evidence how abortion could possibly be introduced. S instead you have resorted to shouting down everyone else with facts to back their arguments up. You're like one of those westbro baptists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭,8,1

I haven't shouted down anyone actually. I made some propositions and questioned the pro-Lisbon consensus that the Maastrict provisions will remain effective. It's up to the reader as to whether they want to consider, accept or reject those propositions. I'm just putting them out there.

IMO it's the pro-Lisbon side that shout people down on abortion. "Oh here's such and such a provision from Maastrict, that should do, if you don't agree, shut up."

As for "not explaining how abortion could be introduced", well I have, quite distinctly. It involves the Charter of Fundamental Rights, the European Court of Justice, and the new primacy that they have.

Again, you don't have to agree with this analysis but nonetheless I did explain how I think it will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Bye bye, watch your arse on the way out.

By the way, I heard getting hit in the arse by a door is a ploy by Europe to introduce abortions. Careful now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Where is your evidence? We're all still waiting.

Bye bye, watch your arse on the way out.

Excusez-moi? What is this, Soviet-style intellectual integrity?
    Where is your evidence? We're all still waiting.

I gave it in this and the original post in the form of logical deductions based on the institutional, legal changes caused by the Lisbon Treaty.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Moved from Politics/European Union.

This falls under my definition of "soapboxing". The EU treaties explictly recognise Ireland's constitutional ban on abortion. There's nothing to discuss. Even if there was, you had an opportunity to discuss it, and chose not to.

You also obviously haven't read the forum charter. Please do so before posting again.

,8,1 wrote: »
    Excusez-moi? What is this, Soviet-style intellectual integrity?

No, it appears to be Youth Defence-style intellectual integrity.

The EU treaties explictly recognise Ireland's constitutional ban on abortion. There's nothing to discuss. Even if there was, you had an opportunity to discuss it, and chose not to.

To the best of my knowledge, Ireland's Constitutional abortion ban only gets a mention in the 1992 Maastrict Treaty which is incorporated in the Lisbon Treaty. The question is, how does this provision stand up to the more fundamental changes that Lisbon will cause. Which include: primacy of the ECJ, primacy of Charter of Fundamental Rights and the novel EU Citizen status.

I do not think it will ultimately stand up, however the question should certainly be up for debate. In legal systems there are contradictions all the time; but when push comes to shove it is the prime authority has the final say.

So, to take it further, that section of Maastrict could be deemed anti-CFR and removed just as the Irish law could be.

There is scarcely any issue on which "there is nothing to discuss", and it's most dubious when someone tries to tell you as much.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

If you dont like how things are done here, kindly go off to politics.ie

To the best of my knowledge, Ireland's Constitutional abortion ban only gets a mention in the 1992 Maastrict Treaty which is incorporated in the Lisbon Treaty.
    1. This is not the place to discuss politics; it's a place to discuss moderation. You probably would have known this had you read the charters of the Politics and Feedback forums.
    2. You are wrong. There is explicit mention in the Lisbon Treaty about the inclusion of a protocol that essentially states "This Treaty has no power over the Irish constitutional status of abortion."
    3. When you were told this, you just ignored what people said. Moreover you got personal and insulting. There was no discussion occurring. In accordance with the Politics charter, the mod thus closed it.
    4. As the closure of the thread was correct (though I disagree with it; I would have enjoyed pissing you off more), this thread is useless. This is not censorship, it's ensuring discussion. If you'd like a soapbox, please piss off to another site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Welcome to Feedback ,8,1. We'll keep your political persuasions under wraps, don't worry ,8,1.. ,H,A ..... ,Hitler,A.... ,H,Adolf...

No one said youth defence/stormfront types were the sharpest tools in the box I guess, I still expected better though.

This is not the place to discuss politics; it's a place to discuss moderation.

Aside from the fact that there are unresolved points on the locked thread, I was asked "where is your evidence" here, wasn't I?
    When you were told this, you just ignored what people said. Moreover you got personal and insulting.

I did not ignore it as I recognised the Maastrict provisions exist; I just don't think they have any real weight. In terms of blocking an abortion ruling, I don't think it has the power to do that. It's from 1992. It worked in the framework of the EU then but EU will have changed radically after Lisbon.

A more reliable solution if Ireland is interested in preserving our abortion ban, is for the Charter of Fundamental Rights to have "right of the unborn" clause analgous to our own Constitution. I mean, if the EU really does respect our current laws and has no interest in changing them, what harm would such a specific clause in the Fundamental Charter cause?

I did indeed point out that people's own person preference for legalisation of abortion may be stulting their interest in making accurate information available. Nothing unreasonable about suggesting this.
    You are wrong. There is explicit mention in the Lisbon Treaty about the inclusion of a protocol that essentially states "This Treaty has no power over the Irish constitutional status of abortion."

A specific quote from the Treaty would be welcome but I do believe that's the Maastrict provision. I.e. of questionable worth in preventing universal on-demand abortion.
    As the closure of the thread was correct (though I disagree with it; I would have enjoyed pissing you off more), this thread is useless.

So as your objective on that thread was to just piss someone off, you admit that you're not interested in "discussion occuring"? The least you can do if you really want debate to prosper is to engage in it yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭BMH

I did not ignore it as I recognised the Maastrict provisions exist; I just don't think they have any real weight. In terms of blocking an abortion ruling, I don't think it has the power to do that. It's from 1992. It worked in the framework of the EU then but EU will have changed radically after Lisbon.
    Perhaps the moderator had a similar interpretation of your thread, and decided it simply didn't exist...

Welcome to Feedback ,8,1. We'll keep your political persuasions under wraps, don't worry ,8,1.. ,H,A ..... ,Hitler,A.... ,H,Adolf...

Hmm.. I had not noticed that.. You're the one with the Hitler fixation here obviously. ",8,1" rather is a reference to Commodore 64 nostalgia.
    Perhaps the moderator had a similar interpretation of your thread, and decided it simply didn't exist...

Similar interpretation, what do you mean? I recognise the existence of the Maastrict Treaty; oscarBravo just locks threads he disagrees with and closes down debate. There's no comparison.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Why does abortion constantly rear its head when there's something like this referendum going on? I reckon that for the vast majority of people it's a non-issue, they're going to vote yes or no on the basis of any number of issues before they even get around to considering abortion as a vote decider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

,8,1 if you didnt pick fights here, you'd get a lot more respect. Instead of fighting, you should be rational and willing to take on other peoples thoughts. If you don't believe them - three simple words to type; "prove that please". That way you can prove your point too. Claiming that the head mod of the soc forums was politicizing the debate and crushing freedom of speech was never going to work in your favour.

Zaph wrote: »
    Why does abortion constantly rear its head when there's something like this referendum going on? I reckon that for the vast majority of people it's a non-issue, they're going to vote yes or no on the basis of any number of issues before they even get around to considering abortion as a vote decider.
    If it was actually true it'd be the cornerstone of the No campaign(though it still is for the likes of Cóir and Kathy Sinnott) and the referendum would be easily defeated. As a country with a high church-going population abortion is only a non-issue at the moment as no one wants to debate it -look at the results of the last abortion referendum- and it would spark even greater controversy if such a touchy subject was going to be decided by foreign interests.

Why does abortion constantly rear its head when there's something like this referendum going on?

Perhaps because alot of the time it is relevant? Our abortion law is Constitutionally bound, so naturally abortion will tend to come up in Constitutional referendums.

Perhaps because alot of the time it is relevant? Our abortion law is Constitutionally bound, so naturally abortion will tend to come up in Constitutional referendums.
    Perhaps he was wondering why it comes up in referenda that clearly have no effect on abortion law, and the answer is fear-mongering by eurosceptics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

turgon wrote: »
    ,8,1 if you didnt pick fights here, you'd get a lot more respect.
    And if you didn't push a baffling woman-hating agenda.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

So you're looking to be aborted?

Dudess wrote: »

I didn't see any women-hating around. In fact I never see it. Its only women anti males really in 21st century. And right too in the past, considering the bad hand women have been dealt over the years. But I think thats kind of over.
    The Massive Weight of Uncles Wedding Band
    Weights Heavily on Aunt Jennifer's Hand

Sorry for being off topic.

Please, keep your radical communist notions of 'women's rights' and 'feminism' out of this.

I didn't see any women-hating around. In fact I never see it. Its only women anti males really in 21st century. And right too in the past, considering the bad hand women have been dealt over the years. But I think thats kind of over.

The Massive Weight of Uncles Wedding Band
    Weights Heavily on Aunt Jennifer's Hand
    Sorry for being off topic.
    It's great to see how Leaving Cert poetry has opened your eyes to the current women's conspiracy. Onward, Christian soldier.

Also, it's "sits heavily upon", and the poem is actually by Adrienne Rich, not Eavan Boland.

I didn't see any women-hating around. In fact I never see it. Its only women anti males really in 21st century.
    I'm referring to the starter of this thread. Have a look at his past unsubstantiated, insane comments about women and feminism - they're... hilarious.

Similar interpretation, what do you mean? I recognise the existence of the Maastrict Treaty; oscarBravo just locks threads he disagrees with and closes down debate. There's no comparison.
    You accuse him of brushing aside views he doesn't agree with. You're doing the same, except instead of a bulletin board, you're choosing to ignore European legislation simply because it doesn't fit your agenda.
    Dudess wrote:
    Oh look, another nut job!
    Please, this thread contains a complicated discussion that your woman-brain clearly doesn't understand.

BMH wrote: »
    It's great to see how Leaving Cert poetry has opened your eyes to the current women's conspiracy. Onward, Christian soldier.

Also, it's "sits heavily upon", and the poem is actually by Adrienne Rich, not Eavan Boland.

Wow I really got that one wrong. Studying Boland today. Too much pressure at the moment, thank god it happened here and not instead the exam!!!

By the way, I hate Adrienne Rich for being to single-issue. So I hope I didnt sound too much like I was supporting her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

"prove that please"

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

...oscarBravo just locks threads he disagrees with and closes down debate.
    Ah, I wondered how long that would take.

If I lock threads I disagree with, we can work on the assumption that any thread in the EU forum expresses an opinion I agree with. Right?

Man, I'm one crazy, mixed-up individual.

Advertisement