Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing a bike

Options
  • 21-01-2019 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I keep going around about starting to ride in Ireland, and trying to make numbers.

Things I have counted so far:

Motorbike: 3000-3000e (making another thread about this) I'm thinking about a Monster 696. How much does it cost to change registration name?
    Clothes: I guess I will need technical clothes to ride in this weather. Jacket, pants, gloves, helmet, maybe a trunk to keep it while riding.
    Insurance: I have had the A2 license for 5 years but never rode. I haven't been able to get a quote online. How much can it be? If I bought a bike in Spain and ship it over, can I still ride it with Spanish insurance?
    NCT: How much is it per year?

Thats all I can think of, am I leaving anything out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

If you are bringing the bike in under a change of residence, then you may be exempt from VRT (Vehicle Registration Tax). This usually requires the bike is in your name for at least 6 months before importation.

Insurance you will have to phone them about: technically you have no experience, and you might find it difficult or, expensive. I would suggest phoning the various bike insurers: Principal Insurance, Carol Nash Insurance and Liberty Insurance. You will be asked details about the bike (power etc, so make sure you're looking at an A2 class bike).

Your Spanish insurance will only cover you here as a tourist for up to 30 days.

There is no NCT for bikes.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Malolan

JaimeB wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I keep going around about starting to ride in Ireland, and trying to make numbers.

Things I have counted so far:

Motorbike: 3000-3000e (making another thread about this) I'm thinking about a Monster 696. How much does it cost to change registration name?
    Clothes: I guess I will need technical clothes to ride in this weather. Jacket, pants, gloves, helmet, maybe a trunk to keep it while riding.
    Insurance: I have had the A2 license for 5 years but never rode. I haven't been able to get a quote online. How much can it be? If I bought a bike in Spain and ship it over, can I still ride it with Spanish insurance?
    NCT: How much is it per year?

Thats all I can think of, am I leaving anything out?

Can't ride monster 696 on A2 license in Ireland unless you get the bike restricted.

see the list of bikes you can ride with your license:
    https://www.magireland.org/2012/information-sheets/a2-license-facts/

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭JaimeB

I will have it restricted of course. Im getting the A in March, but would like to ride restricted for a while.
    I would need to pay VRT, will that automatically give me a new plate in Ireland?
    How much do you guy think clothes can be?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

I would wait until March then, no point in restricting it when it's nearly February already and then derestricting it in March.

VRT will sort your new Irish reg.

Check insurance prices before you buy a bike though.

Clothes, you can spend a little or a lot, starting out you should spend a little , you don't know what you really need or want from your gear until you've spent some time on the road. 400 ish for good budget gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭JaimeB

Makes sense. Has anyone bought a bike from copart? Is it worth it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Makes sense. Has anyone bought a bike from copart? Is it worth it?

There was a thread last year about people with bad experiences with copart. Seems like it worked out in the end, but do keep in mind they sell very much 'as is'

Found it

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057861331

• Registered Users Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭Goose81

I will have it restricted of course. Im getting the A in March, but would like to ride restricted for a while.
    I would need to pay VRT, will that automatically give me a new plate in Ireland?
    How much do you guy think clothes can be?

There is literally no point I riding a restricted bike. Unless it's factory restricted insurance companies won't even insure it in alot of cases and the bike won't even be rideable

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭wallpapers123

Malolan wrote: »
    Can't ride monster 696 on A2 license in Ireland unless you get the bike restricted.

see the list of bikes you can ride with your license:
    https://www.magireland.org/2012/information-sheets/a2-license-facts/

Can you restrict higher capacity motorcycles to fit the licensing regulations??

Could you please enlighten us if you have some more information ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Dude, scroll down. Its in the link.

Advertisement