Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

IS200 smoke coming from the oil cap

Options
  • 21-01-2019 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

05 IS200 SE
    This morning I noticed the heating wasn't working correctly on the way to work - then the oil light came on, followed by the TRC Off light start flashing, 10 mins later the car just completely cut out and there was a small bit of smoke coming from the engine. It won't start now. I topped it up with some oil that I had left over.
    When I start it - it sounds like a diesel engine starting and then dies.

I've had to abandon the car and get to work.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭w211

You already "made" the leak down test and discovered where the pressure leaking out.

Now you have a only 2 "simple" options. First to pay for mechanic and remove the cylinder head for inspection. It can be only the gasket problem. That "test" does not cost load of money. Estimated 50-100eur. If the gasket does not have a blown out signs (to oil channels), then your piston rings are broken/worn out. This is the part where you need to check the cylinder walls. If it damaged or worn out too much, do not invest the more money for that engine. Do not forget to check the block and cylinder head level. If it is warped, bad news. The gasket replacement are reverse process and requires only the cleaning process and the new gasket + new bolts. The piston ring replacement it is not difficult but if you are so far you may rebuild all cylinders not just 1. It takes load of hours but it may worth it.

The 2nd option are the engine replacement. The engine replacing takes 1-3 hours but you never know how healthy it are.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭horsebox1977

Looks like a leak in the radiator.

10 minutes driving by over heated engine can destroy the everything. Like I suggest, do not spend too much money for it. Figure out how big are the damage and then make a calculations how much it will cost for you. Post the pictures and we all will help you as we can.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

This lad ^ is right. Ye one goosed it. The "diesel" sound means some previously tight engine bits have been introduced to the world of "excessive wear" :(

I replaced the radiator at a cost of 275 supply and fix.

All good.

• Advertisement

Pretty expensive repair. The brand new radiator cost about 90EUR and labor 185EUR. Ok the coolant cost too something, but still way too expensive.

w211 wrote: »
    Pretty expensive repair. The brand new radiator cost about 90EUR and labor 185EUR. Ok the coolant cost too something, but still way too expensive.

I asked a mate prior and he said that price is ok.

I never asked the price of the part when I collected the car as I was in a rush and I was previously expecting some bad news - this was good news!

Quick look on Mick's garage - (which I know is expensive) but the part ranges from 160e to 220e.

And another site is showing the price for 150e.

Coolant is what about 10e.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭Dartz

How the **** is that still running if you ran it out of coolant or oil to the point where it sounded like a tractor?

How did you manage to run an engine to that point anyway?

If I see the temperature gauge needle *move* it usually means expensive problems, without ever getting to the redline. Overheating an engine oblivious like to the point where it cuts off and steams from the oil cap seems almost unthinkable. How can anyone get to that point - with no idea what the car is doing or why?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

My car lost pretty much all oil and the oil pressure warning only appeared at the very end.

Still driving fine and the mechanic couldn't fint the cause. That was long time ago. 5l top up to bring it to the acceptable level was required.

Weird things happen with cars.

You're generally supposed to check the level of that on a regular basis.

It's not just an RX8 thing - it's a general car thing. Having so little oil in an engine that it looses oil pressure sems somewhat bizarre.

And having 5 L of oil 'go away' seems almost impossible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Dartz wrote: »
    You're generally supposed to check the level of that on a regular basis.

It's not just an RX8 thing - it's a general car thing. Having so little oil in an engine that it looses oil pressure sems somewhat bizarre.

And having 5 L of oil 'go away' seems almost impossible.

It lost oil very quickly and while it sounds bizarre it did happen. Still driving fine with over 300k on the clock.

I check oil more regularly now and it's still there.

After that kind trouble, sell that car quickly. Overheated engine repair can be very high. Cheaper is to buy used engine and swap it.

The temp gauge in the car didn't move past zero - not sure why. I know this as I took a photo of it when the lights came on - and a correction in my initial post, it was the engine management light came on and not the oil light - and also the TRC off was flashing.

This all happened within 10 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

w211 wrote: »
    After that kind trouble, sell that car quickly. Overheated engine repair can be very high. Cheaper is to buy used engine and swap it.

"I just drove my car for a while without coolant or oil. Jaysus I better sell it."

If this isn't the most Irish thing I've ever read, it's damn close.

The temp gauge in the car didn't move past zero - not sure why. I know this as I took a photo of it when the lights came on - and a correction in my initial post, it was the engine management light came on and not the oil light - and also the TRC off was flashing.

This all happened within 10 minutes.

No coolant flow to sensor. Same with no heat from the vents. Water pumo fault? Or so little coolant in the engine that it just can't flow.

Driving a car till it shuts off itself usually means going from an annoying bill to an expensive one.

I'd be amazed if there wasn't more damage to the engine somehow.

Advertisement