Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Animosity; male neutered cats

• 07-11-2019 11:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭

In all my cat decades this is a new one.

After Beata died last year I had 2 cats left, both neutered males and happy with each other. One aged 15 ish, the other I think at least 6 now.

I took 3 rescued street cats in a year ago; all neutered, 2 girls, one boy. All about a year old. No idea when the boy was fixed.

All was well at first; when I went a walk, I had all five cats with me.

Then the .. well, war, started. Jacob, my 6 year old, refused to follow when we went out. He would stand by the house, staring after us. Because Oliver is with me.

This has escalated into quite overt aggression from the youngster and sheer terror from Jacob. He is literally terrified. Oliver comes near him and confronts and Jacob hides. Jacob has scratches on his face often. I watch all the time and tell the lad off but do not want to alienate him; he is affectionate with me etc. Just Jacob he tackles.

f they come face to face eg one going out and one coming in, they freeze and Oliver glares and I have to get between them and let Jacob run for cover.

I can understand what they call hormone memory but this is way beyond that.

Anyone else had this kind of thing? As I said it is almost a full year since they came, I do not want this to escalate into full out war. Had this once with Siamese males.

Thank you!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,333 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Sounds like potentially redirected aggression. Best bet is to try to get Oliver to associate Jacob with good things; if he sees Oliver he get treats and trying to offer more routes for Oliver to get around the place so he can get more comfortable and grow some self confidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Nody wrote: »
    Sounds like potentially redirected aggression. Best bet is to try to get Oliver to associate Jacob with good things; if he sees Oliver he get treats and trying to offer more routes for Oliver to get around the place so he can get more comfortable and grow some self confidence.

Oliver just jumped Jacob while he was eating... I was almost asleep and Jacob then jumped on me. The noise!

I had been feeding the new three in the kitchen and closing them in there at night but the cold was so intense and the only heat is the kitchen. So the door was open
    They tend to sit one on each side of me when I am abed ( which is a lot of the time) and Oliver stares at Jacob until I make him leave off.

Always then cosset him with cuddles. The need now is to get them to co-exist.

At least now Jacob does not literally hide. So that much is progress.

I think it is past the treats stage; the prize now is my affection which I am being lavish with.

This is a problem with rescues; you have no idea what they have been through. With the wee black one and her terror of doors, it was far easier to understand and help her with. Does Oliver need to be boss cat? As he grows up fully? Jacob is a threat to that? Just by being here? He is the least aggressive cat there could be.
    He is a wimp! A wuss!
    Thanks; all ideas help!

Nody wrote: »

I have been slow! Thank you! Oliver is a teenager in cat terms. Coming into his full strength … He is supremely healthy and yes, very confident. Best place in the world for cats out here. Free to race and leap and run. Very affectionate too. He needs... manners putting on him, without harm. I am BOSSCAT in this house! He is ultra affectionate with me too.

Had Jacob or Boycat taken him down a peg or two? But they are pacifists.

Had he been really aggressive damage would have been done by now. Patience

Grateful to realise posting here is so helpful; maybe as I am alone here!

Y'day I saw Stinkertom, the local stray, lurking at the far end of the long drive. The one who used to live here and has been a total pest.

Realised I have not heard or seen him for a very long time; clearly Oliver has seen him off! Oliver is also a great ratter. Swings and roundabouts.

Just now a matter of rechannelling some of his territorial behaviour elsewhere than on old Jacob!

Advertisement