Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you wise to Dunnes marketing ploy?

Options
  • 22-10-2019 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭

10 Euro off every 50 euro you spend. Sounds great doesn't it. However if you look at some of their products are way overpriced compared to Aldi/Tesco. Here are a few examples that I have noticed.
    Bag of spinach Dunnes: 1.49 Aldi/Tesco .89
    Free range chicken fillets Dunnes: 6.99 for 400g
    Aldi: 6.49 for 454g
    Dunnes butter was 2.50 for a while, everywhere else was 2.19

I'm sure there are many more examples. They definitely make up that 10 euro

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

I tend to buy bulky branded items in Dunnes, such as Laundry Detergent, Shampoo, etc. Get to just over the 50 euro and then go to Aldi for the groceries.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,671 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Indeed. Dunnes stores, the difference is, we're expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭The Jman

I just use it to buy alcohol. The 2 slabs for €50 is great value when ya use the tenner off!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Ariel 65 wash 4.225 kg washing powder: Dunnes Eur 12 Tesco normally Eur 24.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

4 pack Heinz beans Tesco €3.49 and Dunnes €3.
    Fairy Platinum Plus Dishwasher Tablets 60 pack at least €7 cheaper in Dunnes than Tesco.
    We can find items cheaper, or dearer, in each all night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Bazzy

Herself went in the last day and got the sauces in the jar we rarely use them but they we're 50cent each and they were not full to top with sugar and salt I was shocked

We would normally get the detergent and other big things and do the groceries in Aldi

I find the clothes are a tiny bit more expensive than pennys etc .. but they last way longer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

What always amazes me in my local Dunnes is the people who go to the checkout and find out there shopping is €41 or €42 euro. They then grab random crap to bring it up to €50 to get token.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭fitzparker

why wouldnt you? its basically free random crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

fitzparker wrote: »
    why wouldnt you? its basically free random crap.

Which is the best kind of random crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

You really need to shop carefully in Dunnes. I used to buy their Fillet steaks to bring my purchase up to the €50. I realised that they were charging something like €34 a kilo Lidl fillets are gorgeous and at €26 a kilo. However if you buy €50 worth and use €10 voucher it works out cheaper.

Vegetables/fruit two for €3.00. These can often be bought individually for 99c elsewhere.

Chilled fresh pasta is nearly 3 times dearer in Dunnes than Tesco or Lidl.

Gallo Merlot €8.50 in Dunnes but €10 in Tesco and SuperValu....so I buy in Dunnes and use €10 off voucher as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Gallo Merlot €8.50 in Dunnes but €10 in Tesco and SuperValu....so I buy in Dunnes and use €10 off voucher as well.

Unfortunately our government are in the process of outlawing the use of discount vouchers for the purchase of alcohol. More of the nanny state.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Maybe if you grew up in a household with an alcoholic parent you might feel differently. We cant all have the 'im okay so feck the rest' attitude.

There is a real problem with the relationship some people have to alcohol and drinking. And ill miss my 16 euro bottles of rum from aldi, but hope the carnage at A&E's around the country eases up.

The Scottish Government estimates that if trends continue its minimum unit pricing (MUP) strategy will save 392 lives over its first five years.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The Scottish Government is desperately trying to extrapolate a normal varience in figures to justify the policy as the EU has required they prove it works or else it'll be deemed an anticompetitive measure just like our minimum cigarette pricing was

It doesn't work. Alcoholics will further neglect spending on other essentials or turn to crime to fund their drinking

• Registered Users Posts: 16,474 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The Scottish governments figures are predicated on completely ignoring the concurrent rise in a use of drugs fuelled by alcoholics moving to cheaper alternative get wasted chemicals.

Overdose deaths in Scotland have risen to their highest level ever and there is plenty of studies pointing to the introduction of MUP as the catalyst for that rise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Funny how similar the argument can be to the vintners association, when opposing the drink driving limits being lowered. But in that case the number of people who died on the roads fell. the number of bereaved families fell.

I agree it is very soon to get definitive empirical evidence form scotland but even anecdotal evidence is that the A&E's are seeing less drink related incidents. That can only lead to lower deaths. If only 100 less people died from drink related incidents - then that would be a success.

The argument we should not try to make things better because its not certain what the effect will be... it doesn't hold much water

http://www.healthscotland.scot/media/2587/mesas-monitoring-report-2019.pdf
    since 2010 the volume of pure alcohol sold per adult through supermarkets and off-licences in Scotland has fallen by 9%.

The number of minors reporting drinking alcoholic beverages on a regular basis has also been in strong decline between 1990 and 2015.

Alcohol-specific deaths from 1981 to 2017 declined strongly between 2006 and 2012 and although there has been a slight rise, particularly among men in deprived areas aged 55-64, it is way off its 2002 peak and much more closely aligned to the death rate in England and Wales.

Rates of driving under the influence were also in decline well before the introduction of MUP. In 2004/05 rates were 21.8 per 10,000 population but in 2017/18 they were 10.8 per 10,000 – although rates have been more or less the same since 2013/14.

In addition, rates of ‘drunkenness and other disorderly conduct’ hit a peak of 80.8 per 10,000 in 2013/14 and then collapsed to 15.9 in 2017/18. The lowest rate at any point “in observed history”.

Alcohol as ‘a factor’ in homicide cases or those reporting themselves as victims of violent crime – even if the crime rates overall are lower than previously – remains high however.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You've just given a pile of text they shows MUP has had no impact... Everything falling before it

It's being driven by neo prohibitionists and not facts. You'll get abused distorted data to try claim it's having an impact when it does nothing of the sort

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭GreenandRed

How many here have thrown out fruits, vegetables, milk etc that was bought in Dunnes because the €50, €100 or other mark had to be be hit to qualify for extra discount or discount at the next shop? Not Dunnes fault, they're being smart. But just buying stuff not needed, to allegedly save money, then waste more money than saved by throwing out stuff past it's usage date.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I think the use of such vouchers for alcohol purchases is to be banned soon.

So that + the MUP will be a bit of a downer for those who like a drop or two.

Also - the vintners are delighted with this. They know it won't reduce consumption but may rescue their failing off sales trade

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

How many here have thrown out fruits, vegetables, milk etc that was bought in Dunnes because the €50, €100 or other mark had to be be hit to qualify for extra discount or discount at the next shop? Not Dunnes fault, they're being smart. But just buying stuff not needed, to allegedly save money, then waste more money than saved by throwing out stuff past it's usage date.

Not me. I have my shopping list when i go into Dunnes. It's only when i get to the till and i see I'm €10 or €20 away from the next €50.
    I'll then dash to get a load of nappies or dishwasher tabs or whatever that will always be used and will not perish on me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Not me. I have my shopping list when i go into Dunnes. It's only when i get to the till and i see I'm €10 or €20 away from the next €50.
    I'll then dash to get a load of nappies or dishwasher tabs or whatever that will always be used and will not perish on me.

Don't dash back, use the calculator on your phone as you shop. Sorted :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I've thrown out more fruit and veg bought in lidl tbh.
    I only buy in lidl if I know I'm using it that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

I do similar. When I get to the til if i'm just below the €50 limit and I have a voucher, I will go back and pay non perishable things like toilet rolls, dishwasher tablets, washing liquid, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Gooser14 wrote: »
    Ariel 65 wash 4.225 kg washing powder: Dunnes Eur 12 Tesco normally Eur 24.

10 in Iceland

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Miaireland wrote: »
    What always amazes me in my local Dunnes is the people who go to the checkout and find out there shopping is €41 or €42 euro. They then grab random crap to bring it up to €50 to get token.

Why not? Weekly shop for me last week was €86 in Dunnes. The wife had two vouchers so I grabbed myself a bottle of gin for €22 returned to till, redeemed two vouchers total bill now €88 plus free bottle plus 2 more vouchers for this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Why not? Weekly shop for me last week was €86 in Dunnes. The wife had two vouchers so I grabbed myself a bottle of gin for €22 returned to till, redeemed two vouchers total bill now €88 plus free bottle plus 2 more vouchers for this week.

Exactly . It makes complete sense if the amount is close to €100 . I eyeball what is on offer like washing powder or cat food and if I come close to €100 I run and grab one that will bring me to €100
    Plus you have two vouchers for next we or pass them on at least

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭GreenandRed

Maybe if you grew up in a household with an alcoholic parent you might feel differently. We cant all have the 'im okay so feck the rest' attitude.

There is a real problem with the relationship some people have to alcohol and drinking. And ill miss my 16 euro bottles of rum from aldi, but hope the carnage at A&E's around the country eases up.

The Scottish Government estimates that if trends continue its minimum unit pricing (MUP) strategy will save 392 lives over its first five years.

I agree with your first two paragraphs Exterminator but I think the minimum pricing to reduce binge drinking is a cheap fudge. We need to find why people drink too much. An alcoholic, like any drug addict, will beg borrow or steal to get drunk.

Drink Aware have classes for just 8000 students in Irish secondary schools. They, and drug awareness classes should be on every curriculum. Sex education classes include discussions on consent. Why talk about consent and not include excessive drinking.

Apologies for veering off topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Don't dash back, use the calculator on your phone as you shop. Sorted :p

I'll be damned if I'm going to add up all my purchases as I put them in the trolley. Life's too short.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭facehugger99

If I'm a bit short to get the €50 limit I'll run back and grab something quick to bring me over the amount - usually I grab a couple of bottles of beer.

Anyhow, I'm in Dunnes last week and it comes to €96 or something so I run back and grab myself a couple of IPA's.

As I get back to the checkout with beers in hand there's a few people queuing behind me and my 10 years old turns to my 8 year old and loudly exclaims "Told you" - in reference to the beers.

Everyone in the queue chuckles and I feel like a problem drinker.

Fin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I don’t buy in Dunnes as they’ve always been expensive. Brand ed tems can be bought in low price stores like dealz and Mr Price etc for half what they cost in Dunnes. There is absolutely no need to shop there anymore.

Advertisement