Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog choice help

Options
  • 22-07-2019 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hi all. Family have decided they want a dog. Two kids age 11 and 9. When I was young my House had German pointers, Springer spaniels, Jack russells and a rottweiler at various times. And loads of cats so I Am grand with them all.
    Has to be smallish dog, i would like a Jack Russell and my wife likes King charles. We Both dislike other Persons choice and are considering a beagle. We discussed getting a dog from pound but a few Friends did it recently and the dogs are nuts. No problem walking it and can bring to work so wouldn’t be left alone.
    Can anyone advise on beagles or other breed. I want a dog with intelligence and personality. I know that’s luck of the draw though.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I'd advise against the King Charles...on health grounds. That breed can go very wrong, very expensive and very painful (for both owner and the poor dog)

Clever little Terrier mix from a rescue would be my choice...abundant supply out there.
    Pick a cute one that you all can agree on.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭wobert

peasant wrote: »
    I'd advise against the King Charles...on health grounds. That breed can go very wrong, very expensive and very painful (for both owner and the poor dog)

Clever little Terrier mix from a rescue would be my choice...abundant supply out there.
    Pick a cute one that you all can agree on.

Thanks for reply. I really don’t like King Charles so not under consideration.My wife might be retaliating by ruling out jack Russell’s. I was open to rescue dog because there are so many that need a home but a few of my wife’s friends adopted dogs recently and are finding them difficult, probably due to previous mistreatment. So wife doesn’t want to go that route. This will be our first dog so they want to get from puppy stage. Will definitely get rescue dog in a few years I think

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

I would go for a terrier mix from a rescue. Loads out there at puppy stage so less likely to have issues. Where are you and we might be able to recommend a good rescue by PM.

thanks for your reply, we are in Dublin 3. I told my wife its possible to get rescue puppies. seemingly herself and kids have decided on a beagle and have picked a name. We won't be getting a dog until mid September at least. I would like to explore rescue option more. health wise I assume there is more of a risk with a rescue dog than getting from a breeder. or is inbreeding an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

wobert wrote: »
    thanks for your reply, we are in Dublin 3. I told my wife its possible to get rescue puppies. seemingly herself and kids have decided on a beagle and have picked a name. We won't be getting a dog until mid September at least. I would like to explore rescue option more. health wise I assume there is more of a risk with a rescue dog than getting from a breeder. or is inbreeding an issue.

Beagles are not for the faint hearted OP .. please don’t get a dog based on looks .. your in for a shock

Op your last comment unfortunately shows serious lack of knowledge.. please please do lots of research .. and not just via boards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭daheff

Labrador or a golden retriever

Both good friendly dogs. Might be a bit big though?

Beagles ,while nice, tend to want to follow scents, so if they escape could run off.

Also maybe think about a cocker spaniel?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Instead of setting your hearts on a breed, why don't you just wait and see what's going when the time comes? A mixed breed dog is generally a healthier option. Pure breeds, there will always be a risk of breed specific issues, but no, a rescue is not higher risk than a breeder and with a rescue your puppy will at least have been assessed health-wise and given their first set of jabs.

If you're looking for somewhere to start looking, maybe try <snip> :)

daheff wrote: »
    Labrador or a golden retriever

Both good friendly dogs. Might be a bit big though?

Beagles ,while nice, tend to want to follow scents, so if they escape could run off.

Also maybe think about a cocker spaniel?

Thanks for your reply. Yes both lovely dogs, We did think they might be too big for house/ garden.
    I did read that beagles they can do a legger if onto a good scent.
    Whatever dog we get would be getting 2 hours exercise a day at least.
    Cocker spaniels are too close to King Charles for my liking. Our neighbour has one. Springer Spaniels are very nice. our family had two, from same litter. one was a really good dog, the other was demented. our friends have one and he is also demented so wife has ruled them out.

Instead of setting your hearts on a breed, why don't you just wait and see what's going when the time comes? A mixed breed dog is generally a healthier option. Pure breeds, there will always be a risk of breed specific issues, but no, a rescue is not higher risk than a breeder and with a rescue your puppy will at least have been assessed health-wise and given their first set of jabs.

If you're looking for somewhere to start looking, maybe try <snip> :)

Thanks for your reply. We won't rush into getting anything in particular. I want to do good bit of research anyway. pure breed isn't a requirement for me at all. My wife has been put off rescue dog option because of friends dogs, the dogs are nice but damaged from lack of care. I would still consider it, will have a look at various websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Adopting a dog from a Rescue would be wiser than buying a pup as with a rescue you have a trial period before adoption and experienced rescue back up for help and advice. When you buy a pup you have no idea of temperament or energy level. Beagles are gorgeous although high energy and natural born scent chasers. He will need plenty of attention and walks and is a pack dog so will be happier with company even his human "pack" Although there are variations in every breed.
    You could submit your details with a rescue and they will keep you in mind. A good rehoming person will have a feel for what dogs will suit and will contact you when one is available for a meet and greet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Thanks for your reply. We won't rush into getting anything in particular. I want to do good bit of research anyway. pure breed isn't a requirement for me at all. My wife has been put off rescue dog option because of friends dogs, the dogs are nice but damaged from lack of care. I would still consider it, will have a look at various websites.

I know you were mentioning this about pounds before, and yes pound dogs can be very damaged, but rescues aren't the same. They can still have some dogs with very bad backgrounds who need extra care, but they won't just land them on someone who isn't able for their needs.

In the good places, you go in and they help you find the right dog for you. There are a lot of collie-crosses and lab-crosses in the rescues, either are a great family dog (I see you can give them 2 hours of walking a day, which is great!). Most of the rescues won't have their puppies online, because they want people to see the older dogs and fall in love with them (they can be harder to home).

I couldn't even tell you what my dog is - at various times she has been described as a terrier/pointer/staffie/jack-russell/lab mix :P She is herself anyway, best dog anyone could ask for and she was a puppy from a rescue. She had been fostered before we took her (at about 15 weeks old) and was crate trained, almost fully house-trained and was already starting to learn tricks.

Ann22 wrote: »
    Adopting a dog from as Rescue would be wiser than buying a pup as with a rescue you have a trial period before adoption and experienced rescue back up for help and advice. When you buy a pup you have no idea of temperament or energy level. Beagles are gorgeous although high energy and natural born scent chasers. He will need plenty of attention and walks and is a pack dog so will be happier with company. Although there are variations in every breed.
    You could submit your details with a rescue and they will keep you in mind. A good rehoming person will have a feel for what dogs will suit and will contact you when one is available for a meet and greet.

Thats really helpful, thank you.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

As other posters have said OP, a good Rescue will know the temperaments of the dogs they have and will do their very best to match with your family.
    They will also supply back-up.

I'm confused why you think rescue dogs would have more health issues than a dog from a breeder. In my experience it's the opposite. We have 5 dogs (jacks) - the only one who isn't a rescue still suffers health problems which the vet diagnosed (at great expense) as stemming from having pneumonia as a pup that was left untreated. We bought her when she was 9 weeks old. Saw both her Dam and Sire, researched the breeder etc. What we couldn't see was the damage to her lungs caused by the same breeder not bothering to get her treated.

Most rescue dogs arn't 'broken' - some just had the misfortune to be owned by broken humans. Plus there are many dogs in rescue for genuine reasons - particularly now when people are finding it so hard to get rental accommodation that will accept dogs.

And - rescue's do have puppies as well. Puppies that will have been vet checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,027 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I have 2 x retrievers and a small terraced house - they just need couch space lol :o OP there's nothing wrong with researching different breeds even if you do go the rescue route so you know what traits you can expect? A reputable breeder would imo be more choosey/picky than a rescue too as to who they let take one of their pups too.

tk123 wrote: »
    A reputable breeder would imo be more choosey/picky than a rescue too as to who they let take one of their pups too.

I don't think you have experienced just how choosey/picky a reputable rescue is when it comes to who can adopt... :P

I could be wrong - and open to correction - but I have never heard of a breeder doing a Home Check. Nor were we ever home checked back in the days when we did buy off breeders.

I know you were mentioning this about pounds before, and yes pound dogs can be very damaged, but rescues aren't the same. They can still have some dogs with very bad backgrounds who need extra care, but they won't just land them on someone who isn't able for their needs.

In the good places, you go in and they help you find the right dog for you. There are a lot of collie-crosses and lab-crosses in the rescues, either are a great family dog (I see you can give them 2 hours of walking a day, which is great!). Most of the rescues won't have their puppies online, because they want people to see the older dogs and fall in love with them (they can be harder to home).

I couldn't even tell you what my dog is - at various times she has been described as a terrier/pointer/staffie/jack-russell/lab mix :P She is herself anyway, best dog anyone could ask for and she was a puppy from a rescue. She had been fostered before we took her (at about 15 weeks old) and was crate trained, almost fully house-trained and was already starting to learn tricks.

Thank you, I will look into the rescue places. your dog sounds great, good personality/character would be my main hope. We only decided yesterday that we would get a dog after kids begging for a year so will be careful in deciding.
    if anyone could recommend rescue centres to contact that would be really helpful.collie- crosses sound good.
    Im not sure how beagle became the preferred choice tbh, my aunt had one when I was a kid and he was lovely. dog would get lot of attention and exercise no matter what one we get.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,027 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I don't think you have experienced just how choosey/picky a reputable rescue is when it comes to who can adopt... :P

I could be wrong - and open to correction - but I have never heard of a breeder doing a Home Check. Nor were we ever home checked back in the days when we did buy off breeders.

Well I know at least one breeder who background checks anyone who contacts her lol and rightly so!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I think you missed out the word Reputable. The huge amount of time & effort I put into my dogs. I can tell you I am far more fussy then any rescue! Plus unlike rescue dogs the parents of any pups from here have certified health checks.

Also you need to make sure any rescue you use is also Reputable. I saw a thread elsewhere a few days ago. A very experienced lady wanted to rescue a Husky & the Rescue refused. Made all sorts of excuses that the woman was not a suitable owner. The rescue involved had several of their dogs shot for worrying sheep.

As other posters have said OP, a good Rescue will know the temperaments of the dogs they have and will do their very best to match with your family.
    They will also supply back-up.

I'm confused why you think rescue dogs would have more health issues than a dog from a breeder. In my experience it's the opposite. We have 5 dogs (jacks) - the only one who isn't a rescue still suffers health problems which the vet diagnosed (at great expense) as stemming from having pneumonia as a pup that was left untreated. We bought her when she was 9 weeks old. Saw both her Dam and Sire, researched the breeder etc. What we couldn't see was the damage to her lungs caused by the same breeder not bothering to get her treated.

Most rescue dogs arn't 'broken' - some just had the misfortune to be owned by broken humans. Plus there are many dogs in rescue for genuine reasons - particularly now when people are finding it so hard to get rental accommodation that will accept dogs.

And - rescue's do have puppies as well. Puppies that will have been vet checked.

Thanks,I just wondered about the health because I suppose you wouldn't know the history of the dog from rescue where as presumably a dog breeder would.
    we had a German pointer from a breeder and he cost a fortune in vet bills due to eye problems so I understand it can happen no matter where pet comes from.
    I probably shouldn't have mentioned it.
    Friends got a dog recently from Rescue centre. It was badly mistreated with previous owner. They said it was about 8 years old but it acts like its 18 years old. Its really nice but terrified of everything. sleeps non stop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

if anyone could recommend rescue centres to contact that would be really helpful.collie- crosses sound good.

Just on collie crosses, I've had 2 as fosters and dog number one essentially took after his sighthound half - he was as laid back as they come, crashed on the sofa, did the occassional zoomie, soft as butter and half as bright. Lovely dog.

Dog number 2 was more on the collie side - massively bright (I started doing agility with her), brave as a lion, no concept of danger (she scaled 7.5ft walls and climbed on/through EVERYTHING) and when she got bored she would escape from anywhere. She needed a job (though she adored kids and is getting on really well with a family now).

I suppose my point is that the above 2 dogs were the same cross but chalk and cheese. I'd start with what you plan to do every day with your dog, what personality traits you want, size, amount of shedding and pick something that fits (whether that's a breed or an individual dog in rescue).

I wouldn't go the pound route if you're worried about issues, but a good rescue should be able to set you up with a dog that suits if you use one that fosters the dogs out. Or a GOOD breeder will give you direction on whether the particular breed will fit your lifestyle and what you plan to do.

• Advertisement

tk123 wrote: »
    I have 2 x retrievers and a small terraced house - they just need couch space lol :o OP there's nothing wrong with researching different breeds even if you do go the rescue route so you know what traits you can expect? A reputable breeder would imo be more choosey/picky than a rescue too as to who they let take one of their pups too.

Retrievers seem like lovely dogs. we would have same house size also.
    loads of research to be done before decision made and I really appreciate everyones comments.

Choc Chip wrote: »
    Just on collie crosses, I've had 2 as fosters and dog number one essentially took after his sighthound half - he was as laid back as they come, crashed on the sofa, did the occassional zoomie, soft as butter and half as bright. Lovely dog.

Dog number 2 was more on the collie side - massively bright (I started doing agility with her), brave as a lion, no concept of danger (she scaled 7.5ft walls and climbed on/through EVERYTHING) and when she got bored she would escape from anywhere. She needed a job (though she adored kids and is getting on really well with a family now).

I suppose my point is that the above 2 dogs were the same cross but chalk and cheese. I'd start with what you plan to do every day with your dog, what personality traits you want, size, amount of shedding and pick something that fits (whether that's a breed or an individual dog in rescue).

I wouldn't go the pound route if you're worried about issues, but a good rescue should be able to set you up with a dog that suits if you use one that fosters the dogs out. Or a GOOD breeder will give you direction on whether the particular breed will fit your lifestyle and what you plan to do.

I would prefer short haired dog, still at early stage of deciding. will look at rescue option as well as breeders. More family discussions needed. I think it will have to be a puppy, probably non negotiable with the kids. Good to know this is option with rescue.
    other friends got a rescue dog a few years ago and I think the rescue centre went to check their house.

Knine wrote: »
    I think you missed out the word Reputable. The huge amount of time & effort I put into my dogs. I can tell you I am far more fussy then any rescue! Plus unlike rescue dogs the parents of any pups from here have certified health checks.

Also you need to make sure any rescue you use is also Reputable. I saw a thread elsewhere a few days ago. A very experienced lady wanted to rescue a Husky & the Rescue refused. Made all sorts of excuses that the woman was not a suitable owner. The rescue involved had several of their dogs shot for worrying sheep.

You seem to have taken my post personally.

All I can say is that in all my 50 odd years of having dogs - all of which were bought off reputable breeders and ranged from IKC registered corgis to IKC registered West Highland Terriers to IKC registered King Charles not once were we home checked.

I fail to see what someone being refused a husky has to do with dogs being shot tbh - they are two separate issues - but I agree that not all rescues are reputable, but it isn't that difficult to find out which are. It's rather more difficult to find out which breeders are as some of the more unscrupulous ones know how to put on a show for potential buyers.

Do you homecheck?

As for pups - many pups are born in rescues so yes, their dams would be vet checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

You seem to have taken my post personally.

All I can say is that in all my 50 odd years of having dogs - all of which were bought off reputable breeders and ranged from IKC registered corgis to IKC registered West Highland Terriers to IKC registered King Charles not once were we home checked.

I fail to see what someone being refused a husky has to do with dogs being shot tbh - they are two separate issues - but I agree that not all rescues are reputable, but it isn't that difficult to find out which are. It's rather more difficult to find out which breeders are as some of the more unscrupulous ones know how to put on a show for potential buyers.

Do you homecheck?

As for pups - many pups are born in rescues so yes, their dams would be vet checked.

If they were Reputable they would homecheck. IKC Reg does not mean Reputable. The fact they did not check you out says it all really.

So you are telling me that Rescues hip/elbow, patella, eye, heart check the rescue dogs? Really? I can tell you that does not happen

My point was the 'Husky Rescue' was anything but Reputable. Their dogs were responsible for worrying sheep!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I'm fostering a Beagle cross at the moment. She's a ball of energy, enthusiasm, part grasshopper/kangaroo and am appetite that doesn't stop. NOTHING edible can be left in reach, and by reach I mean in the room behind a locked door. Counter tops are easy for jumping, if I've washed a bowl she'll rob the brush out of the sink to check for morsels of food on it, and she'll knock over a wheelie bin if she thinks there's anything worthwhile in it. No chance of ever lettiing her off lead as she will fpllow her nose and has zero recall. Beagles and their crosses are hard work - this poor girl has had a family that couldn't keep up with her already, so please don't go by what the dog looks like, and try and focus on personality and whether it's a good fit for your family life.

Also, short dog hair sticks in EVERYTHING. Carpets, rugs, cushions, upholstery, and all your clothes. I find course short hair way harder to remove than finer wavy hair.

Also, short dog hair sticks in EVERYTHING. Carpets, rugs, cushions, upholstery, and all your clothes. I find course short hair way harder to remove than finer wavy hair.

I love jackers. Love em. Love the ball of energy and over-the-top fiestiness.

Wouldn't have one in a fit. Can't stand all that white hair on my inevitably black clothes.

And I say that as someone with a German Shepherd cross who spends 90% of their life vacuuming (and who will probably get another).

Knine wrote: »
    If they were Reputable they would homecheck. IKC Reg does not mean Reputable. The fact they did not check you out says it all really.

So you are telling me that Rescues hip/elbow, patella, eye, heart check the rescue dogs? Really? I can tell you that does not happen

My point was the 'Husky Rescue' was anything but Reputable. Their dogs were responsible for worrying sheep!

I have already said not all those who claim the title of "rescue" are reputable but it is easy enough to find out who is and who isn't.
    Most certainly every breeder isn't reputable and it is not so easy to find out who is and who isn't.

Reputable Rescues do not breed for profit. The pups born in them are the result of them taking in pregnant bitches.

But you know what, this thread isn't about Rescue Vs Breeder as you seem so intent on making it. If you want to open a thread on that topic go right ahead.

The OP didn't seem to realise that Breeder does not = healthy dog or the extent that Reputable rescues go to to ensure a good match between dog and adopter. Or that rescues have puppies.
    Now the OP does and can make a more informed decision.

Choc Chip wrote: »
    I love jackers. Love em. Love the ball of energy and over-the-top fiestiness.

Wouldn't have one in a fit. Can't stand all that white hair on my inevitably black clothes.

And I say that as someone with a German Shepherd cross who spends 90% of their life vacuuming (and who will probably get another).

I have 5 jacks.
    I gave up black clothes many years ago - and navy. Nothing attracts jack hairs like navy.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

<snip> would be a good place if your interested in puppies. Or the <snip>

I did get a dog from the pound and he was a saint. So grateful . He's a few years passed now and we have another mix. She is literally irreplaceable. Nobody knows what she's a mix of.

Keep an open mind until you see what's out there

• Advertisement

I would prefer short haired dog, still at early stage of deciding. will look at rescue option as well as breeders. More family discussions needed. I think it will have to be a puppy, probably non negotiable with the kids. Good to know this is option with rescue.
    other friends got a rescue dog a few years ago and I think the rescue centre went to check their house.

Okay, if you're set on a pup, you've a few options:

1. A breeder, found on the internet who will sell you a IKC reg. pedigree pup.
    2. A breeder who, through your research you've decided is reputable (health checks relevant diseases/conditions, inbreeding coefficients, has a purpose for breeding, raises pups in the house with relevant socialisation to household noises, cares about where their pups go and what happens to them).
    3. A rescue crossbreed pup
    4. A purebred rescue pup

Number 1 I don't personally agree with ethically. There are lots of pups around and there's no need for more. Plus without the health checks you're potentially setting yourself up for heartbreak and/or huge medical bills and a shortened lifespan. Without good early nutrition and socialisation there's also the possibility of behavioural problems down the road which can be just as dangerous, upsetting and costly.

Number 2 you're paying more money for, but you're starting off on a much better foundation and you've a better chance of escaping huge vet bills in future. Plus that early socialisation (vaccums, washing machines, kids, the hairdryer - everything really) will set you up for a lot of success, but you have to be willing to put the work in to develop it.

Number 3 is a crapshoot if I'm honest. You might get the traits of either breed and any set of health issues so you HAVE to be willing to take on the health issues and traits of either breed, as you did in option one (but spread across the breeds in the mix). On the plus side, you'll likely pay less money and if the foster in the rescue is good, the puppies will have had good nutrition and good early socialisation

Number 4. You're limiting the health issues to one breed, but again you have unknown parent history so you have to take in the potential future health downsides of option 1, but at a lower cost, without the ethical issues and with the added bonus of good socialisation (if rescue and foster is good). It's a middle ground I suppose, but you have to see whether you're willing to take the risks of this v option 2.

Advertisement