Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handwriting help

Options
  • 02-05-2015 12:58pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Could you help me read this address please?

I think it's a workhouse death - the informant is an inmate, but I'm interested in Michael Cullen's address.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

I think it's:
    7 Holycross
    ____ Clonliffe Ave or Rd. The 'a' in married looks like the same letter in that last word, which makes me lean towards Ave, but Clonliffe Rd might make more sense with the address having a line before that.

Holy Cross/Clonliffe College is up near Corker on the Clonliffe Rd, could be something to do with that. Someone with Dublin geography knowledge would probably know more.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Would it be Holycross Cottages?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Thanks for your help guys. That's what I read the address as too.

Hermy - that's not them in the 1911 but it threw me for a second. This is the family living on Old Mayor St. Note the 17 children born to the mother! Mary Cullen on this census is my great grandmother. Looking for her father's death but it's a common name.

Genealogy Forum Mod

17 in approx 37 years of marriage! A Carla' woman too, no less. The GRO will fund their Xmas party from you if you have to get all those certs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,281 ✭✭✭✭Victor

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Could you help me read this address please?

I think it's a workhouse death - the informant is an inmate, but I'm interested in Michael Cullen's address.
    It might be useful to include a link to the page, so we can see associated documents.

Hermy - that's not them in the 1911 but it threw me for a second. This is the family living on Old Mayor St. Note the 17 children born to the mother! Mary Cullen on this census is my great grandmother. Looking for her father's death but it's a common name.

I don't follow. Is the Michael Cullen in 7 Holycross Cottages in the 1911 Census not the same as the Michael Cullen in your death cert?
    If not, are they related?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Victor wrote: »
    It might be useful to include a link to the page, so we can see associated documents.

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I believe they are 2 separate people called Michael Cullen. I have the death cert of one above, who died in the workhouse in 1912. I now do not think he is same person as the Michael Cullen, my ancestor, on the 1911 census, which I linked to.

Coolnabacky - the family legend said she had 22 children! Hermy, I don't think they're related, just some name repetition in the families.

I have another handwriting question.

This is from the North Dublin union workhouse census return. There's 70 pages odd so I won't link to it but I've included several words. I took me ages to find the person on the actual return.
    What does it say beside the age 50 person? Again, I have an idea but I don't want to bias any fresh eyes!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Really hard to decipher but going on the one above the second word looks like Paralysis? And the first word seems to begin with an M as in Mitral below - but that's just going on the handwriting alone and the only double word disease of the time I can think of was 'creeping paralysis' which was an early term for MS - but the first word here has me thrown!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I almost said 'infantile paralysis' which would have been akin to polio. But the last few letters of the first word look like 'tion' and the last two letters of the second word look something like 'ium'.

Hermy, I don't think they're related, just some name repetition in the families.

Same name. Same address. No relation. Genealogy is weird sometimes.:D

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Robyn15

I've looked at the Workhouse admission books on FindmyPast. There are 2 Michael Cullens who died in the North Dublin Workhouse one aged 42 from 116 Gardiner St who was a labourer annd died 3rd April 1912. And Michael Cullen aged 66 with a wife Eliz. occupation Carrier? of 7 Holly? Cottages Clonliffe Road. died 1st June 1912.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Robyn15

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭blue banana

I’m looking for some help on deciphering a first name as well as a latin comment in a marriage record here
    http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/display-pdf.jsp?pdfName=cork%20%26%20ross.bantry.p4803.00121

It’s the seventh entry on the page and it’s the marriage of John Connolly and Charlotte Walpole in Bantry in 1879.

I’m interested in finding out John Connolly’s father first name as well as any idea of what the latin comment in the far right is and what it translates to. I think it starts with Sponsa (bride).

Thanks for any help in advance.

BB

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Very difficult challenge! Perhaps the father's name was Edward or Edmund. I can't figure out the Latin, but I suspect that the bride was CoI, and it might be a reference to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭niallb

The second word might be an abbreviation of acatholica, which would tie in with the bride being CoI.
    It's interesting, and very faded!

Thanks guys, yep it's a challenging one. The person looking for this record is in the US and I have suggested that they order the civil marriage cert from the GRO so hopefully that will throw some light on John Connolly's fathers name.

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I too would go with “sponsa acatolica” (spouse/wife non-catholic) and Edwardus or Edwinus for Connolly’s Christian name.

Underneath is more difficult – is it “do” (i.e. "ditto") for sponsa or the start of another word? Or “do – filiam comm,,,,,,a” (wife the daughter [of] ,,,,,,,,,)
    I could not make “disponsationis”out of it – were dispensations a requirement for mixed marriages back then?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭CeannRua

I’m looking for some help on deciphering a first name as well as a latin comment in a marriage record here
    http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/display-pdf.jsp?pdfName=cork%20%26%20ross.bantry.p4803.00121

It’s the seventh entry on the page and it’s the marriage of John Connolly and Charlotte Walpole in Bantry in 1879.

I’m interested in finding out John Connolly’s father first name as well as any idea of what the latin comment in the far right is and what it translates to. I think it starts with Sponsa (bride).

BB

Sponsa recentus ad fidem conversa - bride recently converted to the faith. Same words pop up in notes on previous pages.

Thanks a million CeannRua, much appreciated.:) I will pass on the info.

BB

BB

Well it turns out from the Civil Marriage record that John Connollys fathers name is Denis.

Thanks to everyone for the input.

Advertisement