Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Researching Sinclair Family Tree...

Options
  • 29-11-2011 5:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

I'm currently researching my Sinclair family tree, and have run into a bit of a roadblock that I'm hoping someone on the forum might be able to help me with...

Basically, I've gone back as far as my GGG Grandfather, John Sinclair, who died at 10 Moore Street, Dublin, on 3rd March 1894, (the death certificate says he was 71 when he died which would have meant he was born circa 1823, asuming that the age insertion on the death certificate is any way accurate, which I know is often not the case).

I have his marriage Certificate, (which can be viewed here):

http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/ed3bc50525175

Which mentions that he is a printer, living at 22 Essex Street in what is now Templebar. (This address, 22 Essex Street West was the offices of Grierson & Sons, Royal Printers of the Dublin Gazette), It also mentions his father (my GGGG Grandfather), is Robert Sinclair, and his profession is down as a Land Steward.

So I know the name of my GGGG Grandfather, and his profession, but here's where the mystery starts...

I recently went into the National Library Genealogy Room on Kildare Street and the head genealogist there over the genealogy office, very kindly helped me run a few searches through their online databases. Until I had done this, I had previously found a Robert Sinclair who lived near Derriaghy in Co. Antrim, who fitted the age profile, who worked as a Land Steward in the area and who I found a death certificate for, stating that he died aged 65 in 1871 (giving him an approximate year of birth of 1807), so I took this to be my GGGG Grandfather.

But what I discovered in the National Library, is that there was another Robert Sinclair, also employed as a Land Steward, who lived in Ballinasloe around the same timeframe. This Robert Sinclair was a Land/Farm Steward to Earl Richard Clancarthy of Ballinasloe.

There is a mention of this Robert Sinclair, Land Steward at ballinasloe, in a reference to an old letter his son wrote back in 1891 (his son William was then aged 71, so would have been born around 1818). In the letter, William mentions that his Father Robert St. Clair was Land Steward to "Old Earl Richard" until his (Robert St. Clair's), death in 1834.

(Link to the extract from the above letter, is below):

http://www.ballinasloe.com/forum/index.php/topic,957.0/wap2.html

The previous Robert Sinclair from Antrim who I had thought was my GGGG Grandfather was Land Steward to the Marquis of Hertford.

I've obviously tried going through the Church of Ireland records but the records for the parish of Creagh were destroyed years back.

What I'm trying to do I suppose, is to find a birth certificate for my GGG Grandfather John Sinclair, who appears to have been born circa 1823. I imagine he was born in Ballinasloe or else in Antrim, depending on which Robert Sinclair/St. Clair I am ultimately dealing with here in terms of my GGGG Grandfather?!? :confused:

Unusually, my GGG Grandfather John Sinclair, on his marriage certificate his name is John Sinclair, but on his death certificate issued in 1894, (found on www.glasnevintrust.ie), he is down as John St. Clair, but the Sinclair/St. Clair sirname is often considered to be one and the same name.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

The mods might move this to the genealogy forum please, and we can help him out.

Thanks,

Pinky

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭LordSinclair

pinkypinky wrote: »
    The mods might move this to the genealogy forum please, and we can help him out.

Thanks,

Pinky

Is this not the Genealogy forum where I originally posted?!? :confused:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Apologies, I thought I saw it somewhere else!

Am very distracted.

Couple of points:

there won't be a birth certificate for 1823 - they didn't start registering births until 1864.
    Secondly, Sinclair/St Clair: you should definitely consider them the same name - spelling was not fixed until the early 20th century.

As I see it you have 2 possible gggg grandfathers but you actually cannot be certain that either of them is him - there's not enough evidence to go on at this stage.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

just to add a little detail on the 1855 address - the Grierson business is listed in Thom's 1852 at 22 Essex Street West - formerly Smock Alley as follows :
    G.A. and J.P Grierson, Queens printers
    Geo. A. Grierson, LL.D. barrister
    John Foster Grierson esq.

I dont see any listing for a James Rankin (bride's father) printer listed in Dublin

Grierson is absent from 22 Essex St. West by in 1858 , and there's a Pattison Jolly, printing office listed instead.

Working back a little to 1843 - there's no number 22 on Essex Street West, but there is a Grierson printing business a 19. Maybe a number change over the years...

Shane

shanew wrote: »
    just to add a little detail on the 1855 address - the Grierson business is listed in Thom's 1852 at 22 Essex Street West - formerly Smock Alley as follows :
    G.A. and J.P Grierson, Queens printers
    Geo. A. Grierson, LL.D. barrister
    John Foster Grierson esq.
    I dont see any listing for a James Rankin (bride's father) printer listed in Dublin

Grierson is absent from 22 Essex St. West by in 1858 , and there's a Pattison Jolly, printing office listed instead.

Working back a little to 1843 - there's no number 22 on Essex Street West, but there is a Grierson printing business a 19. Maybe a number change over the years...

Shane

Thanks for that Shane! I think James Rankin could have genuinely worked at 22 Essex Street and then they may at some stage have decided to basically blag the address for the purposes of using it as an address for a marriage! Or is there a possibility that they could have lived in a dwelling place on an upstairs floor above the printing business, I dunno?!? The problem I have is that this marriage certificate I posted on my OP from www.Irishgenealogy.ie, is the earliest record or mention I can find of my GGG Grandfather John Sinclair. In terms of my own lineage, this seems to be the first appearance of a Sinclair from my own particular family line, to appear in Dublin, although there were obvioulsy other Sinclair families living in Dublin at the time and previous to 1855.

Another interesting thing I've discovered is that there is a Robert Sinclair, living at Essex Street, buried in Glasnevin who was aged 1 year and 1 month and died on 26th December 1855. So John Sinclair married his wife Euphemia Rankin on 20th February 1855, yet buried their first born child, Robert Sinclair, on 26th December 1855, so Robert must have been born around the end of November 1854. A bit of me often thinks that this was a scandal at the time and they left somewhere else and landed in Dublin to set up a new life, Robert was born around November 1854 and they married a few months later in February.

John died in 1894 aged 71, but Euphemia lived on until 1916, dying at the age of 79. So when they married in 1855, assuming the ages of death are there or there about's, their ages were approximately 18 and 32 respectively.

Also, it is stated in the 1916 census that Euphemia (aged 74 at the time), was born in Scotland, but at the time of the census, she was living with her Daughter and her family (she wasn't the head of the household and probably wasn't filling out the census herself):

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000087430/

But in the 1901 census, (when she was living in Dominick Street in Dublin with only her two daughters and she probably would have been filling out the census herself), it mentions that she was born in Dublin City:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai003691647/

I'm wondering (I know, it's all speculation really!), would she have had a Northern Irish/Antrim accent that was confused at the time of the census by her Son-in-Law, for a Scottish accent and is this how a mention of her being born in Scotland was made on the census form, because clearly ten years previously when she was filling out the census form in her own household, she stated that she was born in Dublin City??? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭CeannRua

There is also this marriage which would look to be Euphemia's brother so may suggest against them landing in Dublin on their own:
    http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/9441d30525193
    The I. Sinclair witness might be mistranscription for J. Sinclair. Turnbull is an unusual sounding middle name. Wonder if it might be his mother's maiden name or have some other family significance.

CeannRua wrote: »
    There is also this marriage which would look to be Euphemia's brother so may suggest against them landing in Dublin on their own:
    http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/9441d30525193
    The I. Sinclair witness might be mistranscription for J. Sinclair. Turnbull is an unusual sounding middle name. Wonder if it might be his mother's maiden name or have some other family significance.

Thanks for that CR, I came across this event before, but it being 2 years (1857), after my GGG Grandfather married in 1855, I assumed that it didn't really have a bearing on when he might have come to Dublin???

Notice the same witness (Thomas O' Connor), on both marriage certificates, and you look at the actual original certificate, it looks more like a J Sinclair than an I Sinclair, what you think?!?

http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/reels/d-59-3-2-013.pdf

Also, I found a record in the National Library for a will, made by John Sinclair & Euphemia Sinclair in 1854, a year before they married, I could never work out what that was about, the actual will doesn't seem to exist anymore...

Agreed that the 1857 marriage has no bearing on when J. Sinclair arrived in Dublin. I wasn't trying to suggest that. What I was trying to suggest very badly is if Turnbull is a reference to a family surname, it gives you another name to play with in case they all came to Dublin together. I think the same person signed the Sinclair name on both marriage records. On its own it could be either I or J but putting the two together looks like J.

Is there a link to the NLI reference to the will? Have you tried looking for estate papers for the landed estates you mentioned? Records of Euphemia Rankin/James Rankin in Scotland?

Agreed that the 1857 marriage has no bearing on when J. Sinclair arrived in Dublin. I wasn't trying to suggest that. What I was trying to suggest very badly is if Turnbull is a reference to a family surname, it gives you another name to play with in case they all came to Dublin together. I think the same person signed the Sinclair name on both marriage records. On its own it could be either I or J but putting the two together looks like J.

Is there a link to the NLI reference to the will? Have you tried looking for estate papers for the landed estates you mentioned? Records of Euphemia Rankin/James Rankin in Scotland?

Now that you say it, I did find that in the grave in Glasnevin where Robert Sinclair was buried, it's actually a Rankin grave, with a Euphemia Rankin who died 11th January 1852 (aged 6 days old), and also a James Rankin, aged 60, (probably Euphemia Sinclair's father) who died 22nd July 1854, so whatever about John Sinclair, it would seem this Rankin family were in Dublin since at least 1852.

The Turnbull sirname seems to be strongly connected to Scotland, (the same could be said for the Sinclair family):

http://www.tbull.com/tbjom/index.php

I haven't checked any of the estate papers, as not sure where I would start looking for this kind of information?!?

Is there any chance that if John Sinclair was born in Antrim, that there would be a record in the PRONI archives???

Now that you say it, I did find that in the grave in Glasnevin where Robert Sinclair was buried, it's actually a Rankin grave, with a Euphemia Rankin who died 11th January 1852 (aged 6 days old), and also a James Rankin, aged 60, (probably Euphemia Sinclair's father) who died 22nd July 1854, so whatever about John Sinclair, it would seem this Rankin family were in Dublin since at least 1852.
    Is there any chance that if John Sinclair was born in Antrim, that there would be a record in the PRONI archives???

I was just checking the 1851 Dublin City census (which shows head of household only), and came across a Jas. Rankin (James) at 22 Essex St. East. Nearby there's another Rankin - a Jno. (John) at 19 Temple Lane South
    off Dame St.

PRONI have many of the CofI records for NI - but you would need to know which parish to check - there are quite a few in Antrim ..

Shane

• Advertisement

I was just checking the 1851 Dublin City census (which shows head of household only), and came across a Jas. Rankin (James) at 22 Essex St. East. Nearby there's another Rankin - a Jno. (John) at 19 Temple Lane South
    off Dame St.

PRONI have many of the CofI records for NI - but you would need to know which parish to check - there are quite a few in Antrim ..

Shane

Huge thanks for that Shane, in the Robert Sinclair grave above, the Euphemia Rankin baby that died just after her birth, her address is listed as "Temple Lane", so they are obviously all closely connected family members... Maybe I'm following a false lead here, as there is an Essex Street East and an Essex Street West??? The connection to the address Essex Street West, is the address of the Dublin Gazette, (Grierson & Sons), but your search above shows up Essex Street East???

EDIT: Just been on Google Streetview, 21-22 Essex Street East is now where Fitzsimon's Hotel of Templebar is located! I'm wondering would the street number have held the same spot on the street over 156 years?!?

definitely Essex Street East - that's why it jumped out.

Both the Rankin addresses (E.St.Est and T.L.Sth) are listed as Tenements in Thom's 1848 - which suggests that maybe they were owned by the Rankins rather than residences?

No. 22 Essex Street West is listed in Griffith's with a date of 1854, as being occupied by George A. and John F. Grierson - 'house & small yard, stable and machine room'

Also in 1854 On Griffith's - No. 22 Essex Street East is occupied by Miles Condon 'house and small yard'. The immediate lessor (not necessarily the owner) is Joseph Wright.

I'll try to find the other address on Griffith's to see if there anything of interest there..

Shane

found a listing for Temple Lane - think it's the right one, there's no civil parish shown on the page just 'South City Ward' and it's listed after other streets in the area e.g. Temple Bar, Fownes St etc..
    19 Temple Lane, vacant (no occupant), immediate lessor is Robert Casey, description 'house (dilapidated)'

Shane

I made a bit of a mistake there with the current set-up of Essex Street East, Fitzsimon's Hotel actually is 16-18 Essex Street East. The street seems to have some recent enough buildings, I can't see a 22 Essex Street East address there now, might pop in and see if I can ask some local business if there is anyone at 22 now. I'm sure it's long long since lost to progress as the song says...

At last, 22 Essex Street East is now La Med Restaurant in Temple Bar...

http://www.lamed.ie/home.html

I think much of that area has been redeveloped over the years - but here's a summary of the layout as per 1848 :

Essex Street East - from Parliament St to Temple Bar
    house number 1 to 49
    junctions with Eustace Street, Sycamore Alley, Crampton Court and Crane Lane

The numbers usually run down one side of the street and back the other - so both 1 and 49 would have been at the Parliament St end.

Essex Street West (late Smock Alley) - from Fishamble Street to Exchange Street
    house numbers 1 to 22
    junction with Morgan's Court
    major buildings - SS Michael and John RC Church, between 19 and 20

I would say the Grieson address was at the Fishamble Street/Essex Street West Junction - so about here on Google Street View : http://goo.gl/Mb3hx

Shane

I think much of that area has been redeveloped over the years - but here's a summary of the layout as per 1848 :

Essex Street East - from Parliament St to Temple Bar
    house number 1 to 49
    junctions with Eustace Street, Sycamore Alley, Crampton Court and Crane Lane

The numbers usually run down one side of the street and back the other - so both 1 and 49 would have been at the Parliament St end.

Essex Street West (late Smock Alley) - from Fishamble Street to Exchange Street
    house numbers 1 to 22
    junction with Morgan's Court
    major buildings - SS Michael and John RC Church, between 19 and 20

I would say the Grieson address was at the Fishamble Street/Essex Street West Junction - so about here on Google Street View : http://goo.gl/Mb3hx

Shane

But do you think I have the Essex Street West address completely wrong in my research and that it should have been actually Essex Street East??? I suppose I went with Essex Street West originally because the business was essentially a printing business and my GGG Grandfather John Sinclair was a printer???

just remembered Smock Alley theatre is where the old church was located - almost next door to 22. So Grieson's was on the northern corner of the Fishamble Street/Essex Street West Junction .

S.

But do you think I have the Essex Street West address completely wrong in my research and that it should have been actually Essex Street East??? I suppose I went with Essex Street West originally because the business was essentially a printing business and my GGG Grandfather John Sinclair was a printer???

ah - see what you mean... forgot why the original focus was on Essex St. West..rather than unspecified Essex St on the baptism marriage

pity the record isn't more specific. I already checked for any possible 1840/50 listings for Rankin or Sinclair in printing type businesses, but didn't find anything.. they would usually only be listed if they ran a business rather than were employees for example..

Do you have any later addresses for John ?
    I didn't see any sign of him at Moore St.

S.

there's is one detail in about the two streets that's different iin the listings - the Civil parish. I dont know for certain how strictly the CofI parishes in the city followed these.. but think they were adhered to in most cases.
    Essex Street East is split - no 1 St. John, 11 to 37 St. Andrew, 2 to 9 St. Weburgh, and 38 to 49 City [??]

Essex Street West is listed as St. John

If these were applied then it looks like Essex St. East ... since none on the other street is covered by St. Andrews where the marriage is listed (it's usually in the Bride's parish)..

Shane

ah - see what you mean... forgot why the original focus was on Essex St. West..rather than unspecified Essex St on the baptism marriage

pity the record isn't more specific. I already checked for any possible 1840/50 listings for Rankin or Sinclair in printing type businesses, but didn't find anything.. they would usually only be listed if they ran a business rather than were employees for example..

Do you have any later addresses for John ?
    I didn't see any sign of him at Moore St.

His death certificate has him down as having died at 10 Moore Street on 3rd March 1894. He had a daughter Sarah on 3rd October 1864 and on her birth cert, the address is down as 61 Lower Jervis Street. They had another daughter on 17th July 1871, and the address then is 14 Moore Street.

By 1901 Euphemia (who is a widow since 1894), and two of her three daughers, are down in the 1901 census as living in Dominick Street:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/Rotunda/Dominick_Street/1281781/

Her son William (my GG Grandfather), is down as living at Bride Street:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/Wood_Quay/Bride_Street/1346123/

You can see my G Grandfather is also living there, (John Sinclair, aged 16)...

In the 1911 census, Euphemia is living at 28 Moore Street with her daughter (now Ellen Byrne), and son in law Thomas Byrne, and their family, and Euphemia's two daughters, Ellen & Jane, are also living there.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/North_City/Moore_St_/39834/
    there's is one detail in about the two streets that's different iin the listings - the Civil parish. I dont know for certain how strictly the CofI parishes in the city followed these.. but think they were adhered to in most cases.
    Essex Street East is split - no 1 St. John, 11 to 37 St. Andrew, 2 to 9 St. Weburgh, and 38 to 49 City [??]

Essex Street West is listed as St. John
    If these were applied then it looks like Essex St. East ... since none on the other street is covered by St. Andrews where the marriage is listed (it's usually in the Bride's parish)..

Shane

I agree there with you, the marriage cert says St. Andrews Parish which seems to agree with what you have found above...

There is also a James Sinclair, (son of my GGG Grandparents John & Euphemia), down as living at 13 Moore Street when he married on 17th January 1882.

http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/reels/d-80-3-11-010.pdf

So they seem to have been based over on Essex Street East and at some stage subsequently moved across the Liffey to Jervis Street and then shuffled around that area until they came to be living in and around Moore Street when John died there in 1894.

• Advertisement

The "Best Fit" candidate for my GGGG Grandfather Robert Sinclair, the Land Steward, would seem to be a Robert Sinclair who I have a death cert for, who died at Lagmore, Derriaghy, Antrim, who died in 1871, aged 65 years.

I had this guy more or less very heavily pencilled in as being my GGGG Grandfather, until I participated in a family tree DNA project for the Sinclair DNA Project worldwide and then recently found that genetically, I matched very closely with another Sinclair particant in the project, now living in Australia, but who could trace his lineage back to Ballinasloe.

Then low and behold, after I do some reasearch on this line of enquiry, what do we find?!? Evidence of a Robert Sinclair down there who was also a Land Steward! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

followed up on those addresses - nothing for your Sinclair's though..

1863 - 61 Jervis Street, tenements (listed a a single street from Stand Street to Gt. Britain St. - no separate upper and lower)
    1872 - 11 to 17 Moore Street, tenements

1891 - 10 Moore St., Christopher Roche, victualler
    1894 - 10 Moore St., vacant

I have an ancestral line of Land Stewards also. They can be awkward to follow as they could move around quite a bit. My gtgtgtGrandfather was a Land Steward in Co. Offaly and later moved to an estate in north Co. Dublin., and later worked in south west Dublin. His moving to Dublin around 1848 was possibly due to him being shot at several times! Not a popular job during the famine. He is also supposed to have been sent to work for a time in Scotland on the estate of the relation of his boss - but we have never been able to find any evidence of this.

Shane

I was just going to ask if there's any chance the Robert Sinclairs in Ballinasloe and Antrim are the same person or do known dates go against it?

Then, just referring back to the Turnbull name / Scotland place of birth there is a reference to a Turbull/Rankin printing firm in Glasgow. Could just be coincidence but... http://www.nls.uk/catalogues/resources/sbti/rae-reynolds

I'll have a look later for estate papers for the estates unless someone else beats me to it..

I was just going to ask if there's any chance the Robert Sinclairs in Ballinasloe and Antrim are the same person or do known dates go against it?

Then, just referring back to the Turnbull name / Scotland place of birth there is a reference to a Turbull/Rankin printing firm in Glasgow. Could just be coincidence but... http://www.nls.uk/catalogues/resources/sbti/rae-reynolds

I'll have a look later for estate papers for the estates unless someone else beats me to it..

That had occurred to me... But it seems that the Robert Sinclair (St. Clair), of Ballinasloe, had a son, George, who wrote a letter in 1891 (when he was in the 73rd year of his life), to his own son (also a Robert St. Clair), and in this letter he mentions the ballinasloe of his youth, and he mentions that his father, Robert St. Clair, was a Farm Steward to the old Earl Richard (Earl Cloncarthy), before "he", (not too sure whether "he" in this context refers to the old earl Richard or George's father, Robert St. Clair), who died in 1832.

http://www.ballinasloe.com/forum/index.php/topic,957.0/wap2.html

My GGG Grandfather was 71 apparently when he died in 1894, so assuming that he was born in or around 1823, he could have been a son of Robert St. Clair, who seems to have died (as per the letter in the link above), in 1832 (assuming of course that "he" in the letter, who is referring to someone who died in 1832, actually means Robert St. Clair and not his employer, the Earl of Cloncarthy)...

Richard Trench, 2nd Earl of Clancarty died in 1837 according to Wikipedia but you may want to double-check this.

Re estate papers, there is a website called www.landedestates.ie which gives details of estates in Munster and Leinster. There is an entry there for the Trench/Clancarty estate. It details sources but it doesn't look to me that there is any big collection of documents listed there.

There are a lot of estate papers in PRONI and there is a catalogue on its website. If you just search for family names though on the catalogue, you will get a lot of hits. You can use this doc to narrow down collections that relate -http://www.proni.gov.uk/index_alphabetical_index_to_private_deposits.pdf
    then search the catalogue with the name and the reference number that the above doc gives. There are references there to Hertford/Seymour papers. You are best to search all sites under both the title and the family name so Trench/Clancarty and Seymour/Hertford.

Also, check www.nli.ie and the catalogues on there; and http://sources.nli.ie. The National Archives site has lists of private collections it has - I didn't look on there but there are a couple of docs on the site. Estate collections can be difficult to search depending on how catalogued. It will be a lot more straightforward for you to search for parish records.

You mentioned an 1854 will in a earlier post - do you have a reference for it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Re estate papers, there is a website called www.landedestates.ie which gives details of estates in Munster and Leinster.

Sorry to intrude but to the best of my knowledge landedestates.ie only deals with Munster and Connaught. Just wodering if anyone knows of a site that deals with Leinster?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy, I've never heard of a comparable site for Leinster. Are you looking for something specific?

Going back to the Sinclairs, has anyone experience of looking at apprenticeship agreements - wonder if the printing trade would have generated such agreements??

Edit - sorry just realised I said Leinster in last post - should have said Connaught as Hermy pointed out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Hermy, I've never heard of a comparable site for Leinster. Are you looking for something specific?
    Thanks Ceann and not to derail the thread but the site you mentioned gave me a great bit of info on Heronsbrook House, Co. Galway and it would be nice if I could find something similar for Newcastle House, Co. Dublin. Here's a relevant bit from the Cork Examiner:
    BIRTHS.
    October 6, at Newcastle House, county Dublin, the wife of Ignatius Moore, Esq., of a daughter.
    I haven't really begun researching that particualr branch of the family tree yet but something like the NUI project would be a great place to start.

Genealogy Forum Mod

You mentioned an 1854 will in a earlier post - do you have a reference for it?

Just back in Dublin after a few days down the country so couldn't get to my research notes at home!

The will, I found a small book in the NLI and it was titled, "Index of Wills (1800-1853), Dublin Diocese"...

The reference read:

Sinclair, John & Euphemia Rankin, 1854 [M.L] 403.

I remember when I spoke to the really helpful head genealogist in the NLI Genealogy section, I think she told me that the reference above was a reference to a marriage license (M.L.).

I've been into the National Archives (on Bishops Street I think), where all the old books are for probates and wills and I couldn't find any reference at all to a will, I don't know how a will would have worked, with John dying in 1894 and Euphemia surviving until 1916???

• Advertisement

Most of those Indexes refer to documents destroyed in the PRO - so the index is often the only surviving reference.

Shane

Advertisement