Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All U.S. federal census images free on Mocavo

• 26-05-2015 6:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭

One for those of you researching in the U.S:

Mocavo.com has announced that they are making all federal census images from 1790-1940 free to view. Some, but not all editions of the census have been free to view on Familysearch and Ancestry for a while, but Mocavo is the first site to make all the images free to view with an accompanying index.

http://blog.mocavo.com/2015/05/u-s-federal-census-images-viewer-now-free-for-everyone

Mocavo is an FMP website so it will be interesting to see if the main FMP site follows suit and how Ancestry will respond.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19 Tullyneasky

I have had no joy with Mocavo. I created a free account but when I try to search even common names such as Doyle or Driscoll, the search engine tells me it has nothing to offer me.

I can't really believe there were no Doyles or Driscolls in any US census, can you?

Is this a way of trying to make me part with money? Or am I missing something that ought to be made more obvious?

Either way, the site doesn't win any favours with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

Yeah, it does not seem to be working today, for whatever reason. I tried with Smith, the most common name in the US, and nothing came up. Worked fine for me y'day (from an IP in Ireland).

People are reporting similiar issues on their FB page so there must be something going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19 Tullyneasky

Thanks for the update. I guess it's not the first site to collapse under the weight of a Free Access promo, so I'll reserve judgement for now.

May give it a go in a day or two.

Advertisement