Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Logainm.ie

Options
  • 20-12-2011 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Hi

I am sure most of you have used or at least heard of this site. I’ve been researching my family tree now for about 3 years on and off, I am also interested in local history & pick up info about that along the way. While looking up the origins of my townland I noticed that one of the references used to establish a correct spelling was an estate map from 1807. I never knew this map existed although I had sourced others. I tracked this map to the national archives, the map itself was in great condition and had beautiful colour, it broke the townland into different parts by numbering. The arable land was split up into 2 parts, one of the areas was part occupied by my family (not a very common name in the area). The tithes applotment for the same townland 1831 also lists my family but here we are even earlier! The reason why this is so important to me is because before this new info 1831 was the earliest I could say for definite that we lived in this townland. We are also in the census of Elphin 1749 but are in another townland approx 1.5 miles away.

Ok I’ll stop waffling now! My point is I never thought that this site would lead to direct info about my family, all I was looking for was the origin of the townland.
    So it may be of some use to you, check it out.
    Do you know of any other unlikely sources which may turn up some interesting leads.

http://www.logainm.ie/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

There is a part of the logainm site that really should be more prominently displayed.

There are a large number of excellent maps and historical name origin sources on the top right in the 'Information Resources' section.

Advertisement