Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Equine Genealogy

• 08-12-2011 9:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry to post this here but I'm not sure where else it might belong, as the horse racing forum tends to deal mainly with gambling as opposed to questions like this.

I came across an old photograph in my house of a member of my family with a horse, the name of this horse is given as Veldt Kornet on the back of the photo. This horse was, as far as we know, the same horse who was the winner of show-jumping classes in these islands from around 1907-1912. He was a winner at Olympia.

Does anybody know where one might uncover the breeding records of a horse from this period (either his own breeding or his subsequent crop). We have tried to do so locally but it is proving very difficult.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭missloulou

You could try:

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/

Do you know what breed this horse is or have any other information on him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭CeannRua

Have you tried the RDS Library? They might be able to advise even if they have nothing relevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

later10 wrote: »
    Does anybody know where one might uncover the breeding records of a horse from this period (either his own breeding or his subsequent crop). We have tried to do so locally but it is proving very difficult.

Try the Turf Club at the Curragh. As the horse was a jumper you should try the Hunts in the area where your family lived at the dates you quote. Another avenue is a the annual ‘Racing Calendar’ - it covers all major National Hunt events, look at it for the years you mentioned , the horse could be listed and its pedigree would be given – e.g. Iron Duke, by Arthur, dam Gypsy, by Rob Roy, gr. dam by Creed’s Superior out of Noblessa. Periodicals of the era also would give good detail on important sporting events – e.g. Illustrated London News
    Rs
    P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Thanks for the suggestions guys, hopefully those will turn up something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭convert

If the horse was a showjumper then it's unlikely that the Turf Club would have any records of him/her as they only deal with race horses rather than sport horses. You could try the Irish Horse Board or Show Jumping Ireland, but I'm not sure how far back their records go.

You could also try posting in the Equestrian forum as people there may have done this before and so be in a position to help you.

• Advertisement

Update:

We found a new picture of the horse and rider in an old society magazine named Irish Life. It doesn't say much about the ancestry of the horse, but it's an encouraging start and has given us some new pointers..

This magazine, copies of which are in the National Library is a great source of information on hunting, racing and other equestrian matters, filled with photographs and personal items of information including society parties, weddings, and general gossip.

Unfortunately it hasn't been made available online yet, but when it inevitably does it will be a fascinating resource for many.
    convert wrote: »
    If the horse was a showjumper then it's unlikely that the Turf Club would have any records of him/her as they only deal with race horses rather than sport horses. You could try the Irish Horse Board or Show Jumping Ireland, but I'm not sure how far back their records go.

Well formal showjumping competitions were still very new in the early years of the 20th century and it would have been standard for horses to have been retired from racing & hunting (the horse himself looks like a lady's hunter) or at least to have dabbled in those disciplines, so I think the Racing Calendar in particular is a suggestion well worth pursuing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭convert

later10 wrote: »
    Well formal showjumping competitions were still very new in the early years of the 20th century and it would have been standard for horses to have been retired from racing & hunting (the horse himself looks like a lady's hunter) or at least to have dabbled in those disciplines, so I think the Racing Calendar in particular is a suggestion well worth pursuing

No need to be so snappy or condescending, I was only trying to help :( and maybe save you time in the long run as I've done something similar in the past researching a family member competed on Nations' Cup teams.

I wasn't being snappy or condescending... why would I?

I think you're being too sensitive.

Advertisement