Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Researching Sinclair Family Tree...

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭LordSinclair

The thing is, I haven't been able to find anyone else in Ireland who might have been a brother or a sister of John Sinclair. I've gone through a good few marriage certs for Sinclair's of similar age as him but I just can't get the breakthrough that I need to get to answer the question as to where did this ancestor come from?!?

shanew wrote: »
    Most of those Indexes refer to documents destroyed in the PRO - so the index is often the only surviving reference.

Shane

What do you make though of an unmarried couple deciding to make a will?!? Was it maybe a legal requirement back then, if you were issued a marriage license, that you had to make a will???

Whatever about what little they might have possessed in 1854, they all certainly seemed to end up in tenements and abject poverty as the years went on, moving around a lot, etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

The M.L. means a marriage license, rather than a will - they are all lumped together in the same index.

Shane

shanew wrote: »
    The M.L. means a marriage license, rather than a will - they are all lumped together in the same index.
    Shane

Thanks a mil for clearing that up Shane!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sustclair

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 sustclair

"But what I discovered in the National Library, is that there was another Robert Sinclair, also employed as a Land Steward, who lived in Ballinasloe around the same timeframe. This Robert Sinclair was a Land/Farm Steward to Earl Richard Clancarthy of Ballinasloe.

There is a mention of this Robert Sinclair, Land Steward at ballinasloe, in a reference to an old letter his son wrote back in 1891 (his son William was then aged 71, so would have been born around 1818). In the letter, William mentions that his Father Robert St. Clair was Land Steward to "Old Earl Richard" until his (Robert St. Clair's), death in 1834."

Robert St Clair's family name was Little Bob. The son who wrote the letter was called George. His first career was as a policeman. George went to Australia with his wife Anne Thompson in 1841. They had numerous children out there, a Robert Thomas St Clair was the firstborn. After Anne died (1867), he married Julie McCabe. George and Julie moved to Auckland, NZ, where they lived until he died in 1893.

I don't know if this is any help to you. I have a bit more information. But this probably confirms if you are/are not related?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Welcome to Boards sustclalr.

If you haven't done so already do read the charter.

Please don't drag up old threads.

This one is over ten years old and the person who started it has closed their account.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement