Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is boarding or a sitter better for cats?

Options
  • 21-10-2019 11:36pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭

My fiancé and I will be travelling for two weeks over Christmas and need to figure out what to do with our cat while we're gone. Would boarding or getting a sitter in be a better option? She is a young cat with heaps of energy who loves playing and being around us, although she's not a snuggly cat, so in that case boarding might be better as she won't be alone? Having said that, I know cats are very territorial so she might be happier staying in the house and having someone come to her.

We had originally thought about bringing her to my fiancé's parents for them to look after her, but I'm worried that would be too much for them as she's a very energetic cat and his parents are a bit frail. I'm also concerned that she would escape when they're entering or leaving the house, she is like lightning as soon as a door is opened and we can't risk her being outside overnight in December (we're in Canada and it gets very cold). Them coming to our house is not an option as they don't drive, and them staying in our house is also not an option as there are too many stairs.

We have been away overnight a couple of times, and in those cases we have had a friend come around to feed and play with our cat and change the litter tray. I don't feel it is fair to ask someone to do this at Christmastime though when they have their own plans with their friends and families. We don't know any of the neighbours well enough to ask them as we're quite new to the area. Paying a sitter to come around could be an option (assuming someone will do it over Christmas) but there's also the consideration of giving someone we don't know access to the house. I would love to know what other people do with their cats for a similar timeframe.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Put stuff away, leave out loads of food and water and off ya go. Outside of that if you're worried about the cat scarpering drop it into a sitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,533 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Put stuff away, leave out loads of food and water and off ya go.

For two weeks??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

o1s1n wrote: »
    For two weeks??

Was adding the second line but depending on the size of the run cat could be grand. Don't need daily human interaction anyway or to be looked after as regularly as dogs would for instance.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Put stuff away, leave out loads of food and water and off ya go.

If it was overnight maybe that could work, but there's no way that would work for two weeks. Her water would go stale, her wet food would congeal and god knows what state the litter tray would be in (or the rest of the house, since she'd probably stop using the litter tray). We don't have a cat flap as it gets too cold here in winter.

Was adding the second line but depending on the size of the run cat could be grand. Don't need daily human interaction anyway or to be looked after as regularly as dogs would for instance.

Pure madness , not to mention cruel , to leave a cat on its own for 2 weeks when it’s obviously used to very good care and lots of human interaction . They do need daily interaction if that’s been their life to date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

Hi OP, my mam has put her cat in a cattery for several stays - the longest was 3 weeks.

We approached it like this - she's safe, fed, watered and warm (the cat that is:pac:). She won't get to snuggle on my mam's lap in the evening for 3 weeks but that leaves 49 weeks where she will.

The cattery used had individual stalls with a long corridor. When the stalls were being cleaned, the residents had the run of the corridor. The owner would suss out the personality of the residents and let more than one into the corridor to play.

We brought toys, her blanket and a tee-shirt my mam wore.

Never had an issue and were happy with the peace of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭twomonkeys

I’ve used both a cattery and a sitter. From my own observations I found a sitter worked better for our cat. She just seemed more contented to be in her own environment regardless of whether we were around or not.
    A decent sitter should come to your house before you go away and interact with your cat to allow the cat to get to know them. This will also give you a gut feeling on the person too. It also means you’ll have someone checking in your house/taking in mail etc while you are away, might be an advantage??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,266 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Depends on your cats disposition; if they are social butterflies then boarding is usually no problem but if they are shy then I'd strongly recommend home boarding if possible because moving to a new place can have serious effects on them as cats are creatures of habit and even a stranger at home means they feel comfortable were to hide etc. (as a cousin of mine learned the hard way; her cat was boarded once and came back a wreck).

• Registered Users Posts: 34,533 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

If you ever have cats don't leave them alone for two weeks. It's not good for them at all. They might not need as much interaction as dogs, but two weeks would be verging on cruel. If they're close to their owners they'll get lonely, not to mention their litter would be stinking at that point.

I have an automatic feeder that can do six feeds, so I can leave both of mine alone for a maximum of three days.

If it's any longer than that, what I'll do is have someone pop in after three days, spend a few hours with them, refilled the feeder and potentially get another three days.

Even at that, it's still not great for them and they'll be climbing all over me the moment I get home.

Two weeks and you should really either have someone staying with them or have them in a cattery.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 DaDoRonRonRon

I've used both sitters and boarding in the past with the same cat and she fared better with getting someone to call by and look after her in her own home. Having said that though she is an older cat and the hustle and bustle of the cattery didn't suit her. You say your cat is young and energetic so would probably enjoy the constant activity and company. Also, it's a big commitment for someone to make enough time to give your cat the company they will need over the Christmas period when there are so many social events to get to. If you decide to board you will need to move quickly though, many catterys will already be fully booked for Christmas at this stage.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! Good point DaDoRonRonRon about many catteries being booked for Christmas at this stage, I really should get a move on - I've sent a few enquiries out and will hopefully get something sorted out sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭acequion

I would definitely opt for the cattery but do your research to get a good one.

One very good reason to opt for a cattery is security. No worries about your cat running off and staying out all night.No worries at all that your cat might wander off and not come back. Nor any worries about litter, feeding or any of your cat's needs. Your cat gets properly looked after and you get peace of mind.

My cat goes to the cattery several times a year and in summer it can be up to three weeks at a time. Never any problems and she enjoys playing with the other cats there, though she's always delighted to be back home with me and I get lots of extra cuddles for days after.:pac:

Like another poster said, you'd want to book asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

My cats are such different personalities - one was an ex-feral kitten - she sleeps in the house at night - she goes to the most perfect cattery, and really seems to enjoy being there. The other cat was an ex-feral adult - she sleeps outside in a workshop at night, in the house all day, so I have a neighbours teen come every day to put down food and water - theres a window open in the workshop so she can come and go (the cat, not the teen!!)

One of the places I contacted about boarding didn't have any space left, but they do home visits so we have booked them to do that instead. The lady who does it will come to the house, play with our cat, clean the litter box, wash the bowls and feed her and check everything is in order. She will also send us pictures and/or videos of our cat after each visit so we can see that she's happy and well. She seems to really love cats rather than just seeing it as an income, so I have a really good feeling about her.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and for prompting me to get a move on, it is great to have something booked!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭BIGT4464

Outside, leave food there next to the kennel. The neighbors will probably feed it anyway.

BIGT4464 wrote: »
    Outside, leave food there next to the kennel. The neighbors will probably feed it anyway.
    I'd just posted to say I've organised someone to come to the house. We wouldn't leave the cat outside for two weeks, especially since we're in Canada and the winters are very harsh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Put stuff away, leave out loads of food and water and off ya go. Outside of that if you're worried about the cat scarpering drop it into a sitter.

I don't particularly like cats, but even I can see that's no way to treat an animal.

I would personally prefer a boarding home for the two weeks so your cat has some normality throughout the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

Cattery is better in my option especially over Xmas. You don’t want your cat escaping and risk it wandering off. I rather security of Cattery knowing they are looked over and get interaction a few times a day. Mine is so nervous but the value for money and care she gets in Cattery is great. Let me know if you would like me to pm you name!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

A sitter honestly.

Any time i have brought any pet to a boarder they come back traumatized. Even NICE boarders.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭quokula

I know there can be different personalities but on the whole cats are extremely territorial and don't like being taken to strange places. They'll be much happier at home, even with less human contact. That's not to say no contact though, it's absolutely vital to make sure someone is giving them fresh food and water every day, and spending some time with them. But they'd most likely be happier spending 22 hours a day on their own at home than 24 hours a day somewhere unfamiliar with more company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭acequion

quokula wrote: »
    I know there can be different personalities but on the whole cats are extremely territorial and don't like being taken to strange places. They'll be much happier at home, even with less human contact. That's not to say no contact though, it's absolutely vital to make sure someone is giving them fresh food and water every day, and spending some time with them. But they'd most likely be happier spending 22 hours a day on their own at home than 24 hours a day somewhere unfamiliar with more company.

Don't agree there at all. My cat's an unreal little lump of a pet and she just has to be minded. So, though she sulks when driven off to cattery, she thrives while there. Now always the same cattery and always the same lady minding her. And it works out great. Bear in mind that my cat, at almost 8,is as territorial as they come and loves her home and comforts. But will a sitter give a cat those same comforts? You can never be sure. Which is why, personally, I'm more at ease with the cattery.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,521 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

A sitter honestly.

Any time i have brought any pet to a boarder they come back traumatized. Even NICE boarders.

Sitter every time. Cats hate catteries. Small space, other cats, weird smells, weird people. Not to mention the utter terror of being put into the carrier.

Leave them in the house. A once a day visit from a sitter to top up food and clean out the litter tray is far far better. When cats are bored they'll just sleep. Which is all they'd be doing in the cattery anyway, but in a stranger smaller place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Please tell me you don't have animals if this is the kind of advice you give

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Cat sitter all day long. Cats love being in their local surroundings. Hate being relocated however temporary. It is stressful enough for the cat to be without their human/s without adding a change in location into the mix.

The sitter came around this morning to meet our cat, see where we keep everything and get the keys. Our cat was a bit nervous at first but she played with her with a wand toy and she soon warmed up! She’s going to send us pictures and videos over WhatsApp while we’re gone so we can see how she’s getting on during the visits.

The cat sitter was a success - in the first video she sent us from her first visit after we left our cat was hiding from her, but she warmed up quite quickly and would rub against her legs each time she arrived. It doesn't seem to have been a problem having her stay indoors for the two weeks instead of going outside, she used the litter tray with no problems. We'll definitely book the sitter again for our next trip away - she even brought over a few new toys for our cat to play with, I guess so she'd have variety.

When we got back earlier this week our cat was being more affectionate than she usually is, she was slept on our bed with us for the first few nights after our return which she never normally does. She's stopped doing it now though, which is a shame because I quite like having her there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Scarinae wrote: »
    The cat sitter was a success - in the first video she sent us from her first visit after we left our cat was hiding from her, but she warmed up quite quickly and would rub against her legs each time she arrived. It doesn't seem to have been a problem having her stay indoors for the two weeks instead of going outside, she used the litter tray with no problems. We'll definitely book the sitter again for our next trip away - she even brought over a few new toys for our cat to play with, I guess so she'd have variety.

When we got back earlier this week our cat was being more affectionate than she usually is, she was slept on our bed with us for the first few nights after our return which she never normally does. She's stopped doing it now though, which is a shame because I quite like having her there!
    That's so sweet, she might have realised how important you are to her! She'll probably sleep on the bed on and off now! Our cat way prefers remaining at home when we're away. He has his best friend to keep him company...

Advertisement