Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dew claw with dog terrified of nail clipping

• 17-11-2019 6:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

Just want to say first that of course I will be contacting my vet for advice but I'm posting here to give me an idea of options.

I have a rescue dog, collie mix. She is terrified of getting her nails clipped, I've never seen a dog so terrified. It took at least 30 mins at the vet last time, two of us had to hold her down while someone else clipped the nails. Obviously she has had a traumatic experience in the past that I was not aware of.

After that I decided to try to prevent long nails and started doing more walks on hard surfaces and for the most part it has worked. So now all her nails are short and blunt, except her two dew claws on the front :(

Has anyone else had this problem?
    The dew claws are at the point where they will start curling around and growing inwards.
    The only options I can think of is hold her down again to get them clipped, which is very traumatic for her. Or have her sedated.
    It just seems a bit over the top to have to use sedation two clip two nails.

It's possible the vet may give me the options between these two solutions.

I'm just looking for any advice before I ring the vet next week.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,050 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I’d get them cut back as it’s very painful if they break them - Bailey has broken a due claw twice and he was crying in pain :(. If you’re on FB join the Nail maintenance for dogs group - there’s loads of information on counter conditioning and building up the dogs tolerance/comfort levels. I have that millers forge clippers they talk about and they’re brilliant - I’d normally dremel Baileys nails as he hates the clippers but can clip with that one no problems.

My dog is exactly the same. Absolutely petrified of having her nails touched, panics. She has a chronic lung disease so relatively regularly has to be put under for x-rays. They always cut her nails then. The rest of the time I try to keep them down with good walks but like yourself the dew claws can get out of control quickly and the rest of her nails too if her walks are restricted due to a flare up.

I spent the best part of a year trying to desensitize her but to no avail. So what's worked?

Well... I got a licky mat. I smear it with wet cat food (the ultimate forbidden fruit here!) Then I put it lying on a step outside that's at chest height with her. I bring her out on the lead and while she's licking for all she's worth, I pick up her foot and as quickly and gently as I can I file her nails and claws with sandpaper. Sounds ridiculous but a rough sandpaper means I can just spend about a minute or two twice a month filing her nails and it's enough. Using cat food I feel makes her think it could be taken back at any second cause she's not usually allowed it and so she concentrates fully on licking it all up and miraculously lets me at her nails. The licking has a soothing effect as well and she's essentially being rewarded simultaneously alongside the filing. If I did it too often it wouldn't work but very short stints spread out is working great for now.

I dunno if that would work for you but must say I'm thrilled about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Two great posts thanks for the advice.
    Unfortunately I have left it too long now, it will have to be clipped and soon before she injures herself.
    I will have to decide between restraing her(3 person job)
    Or getting her sedated. I really don't want to give her an anaesthetic just to clip two nails but is it the better option of the two?

tuxy wrote: »
    Two great posts thanks for the advice.
    Unfortunately I have left it too long now, it will have to be clipped and soon before she injures herself.
    I will have to decide between restraing her(3 person job)
    Or getting her sedated. I really don't want to give her an anaesthetic just to clip two nails but is it the better option of the two?

Well I will say the restraining her only perpetuates the fear and makes matters worse. Personally if she's a healthy dog I'd prefer to sedate if they're that bad that you're concerned about injury. If they break she may have to be sedated anyway to remove any remaining nail, clean or bandage it, cauterize if the quick is cut etc. Unless it's a clean break. Khalis exposed and cut the quick before. It's awful painful.

By the way, I'm not saying desensitizing the dog/building up their tolerance over time won't work. I understand you need to deal with this immediately but after that I think taking tks advice above of working to build up your dogs tolerance is the best long term option. I had no luck with Khali but like I said she has to have regular x rays etc so I'm never too stuck so in all honesty I probably didn't put as much effort into it as I could have as I didn't feel it too neccessary. I got her to the point where she was happy to see the clippers and happy for me to touch her nails with my hands but wouldn't let the clippers touch her nails, anywhere else but not her nails. Aw well the licky mat is working now!

• Advertisement

I actually got that far with my dog too but failed to make further progress and then figured I'd just just change her walking habits and the issue would be solved. Didn't even consider the dew claw at the time, so annoying all her other nails are really short and blunt as she gets lots of walks.
    No harm in trying again but it's a bit daunting because I know how much work is involved. I think your sandpaper idea may be an option. She runs at the sight of the nail clippers but has no problem if she sees me with a scissors to cut fur that is really matted.
    She may give the sandpaper a chance once I am very careful with my approach.

BuileBeag you have saved me so much trouble.
    I went to test with some sandpaper and she has a very high tolerance for me sanding the nail, no treats needed and at this time of night she is very happy to be getting attention because it's unusual. Was able to spend a good amount of time sanding before she got fed up.
    I know I said the nail was very long and it was but not anymore. I'll do some more tomorrow and the first one should be good, another two days and the other paw will be sorted as well, thank you!

tuxy wrote: »
    BuileBeag you have saved me so much trouble.
    I went to test with some sandpaper and she has a very high tolerance for me sanding the nail, no treats needed and at this time of night she is very happy to be getting attention because it's unusual. Was able to spend a good amount of time sanding before she got fed up.
    I know I said the nail was very long and it was but not anymore. I'll do some more tomorrow and the first one should be good, another two days and the other paw will be sorted as well, thank you!

Oh wow! I'm so glad that worked! Night time was probably a good call too because she'd be less giddy. I wouldn't overdo it in case she gets fed up with it and there's no harm in throwing in a reward of some sort so she isn't just putting up with it but sees it as a positive.

Yay I helped someone!

I think she just sees it as more normal grooming, it's only the sight of the nail clippers that causes an issue. I did give her a small threat and looked out for signs that she was getting fed up.
    Thanks again for the great advice.

Advertisement