Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protein level in dog food.

Options
  • 07-11-2019 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭

So I've toyed with the cooking for my dog idea and I intend to start that when he's a bit older as I'm worried about him getting all the nutrients he needs.

But for now he's on Real Nature (from Maxi Zoo) junior food and I'm going to switch to adult food now. He's 6 months old now.:eek:(Where did that time go?!)

My question is regarding the protein level in this food. The Junior ones have 12.1 and 12.5% (there's only a choice of two). The adult range has a broader range with a protein level of between 11 and 13.5%. Does this seem ok?

He's full of energy and seems in great health so no worries there, I just want to get it right going forward.

Thanks for any advice guys.

P.S Can I give him raw bones yet?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Duane Dibbley

Our dogs are feed wolf of wilderness which I believe is 26% protein

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Taiga

Yes, mine sounds a bit low doesn't it. Not sure what to do now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Duane Dibbley

Taiga wrote: »
    Yes, mine sounds a bit low doesn't it. Not sure what to do now.

For me it’s more about the food having a high meat % with no grain or rice fillers.

https://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dry_dog_food/206813/206814/497208

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Sorry, but what difference does it make how much protein content is in dog food? Surely the actual ingredients used are more important.

Being honest Cherry, I don't know. Just when I was looking stuff up I kept coming across protein levels and I was confused. The ingredients seem good with what he's getting, lots of meat/fish as first ingredients.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

The source of protein is what’s important. Unless your dog has a medical condition that warrants protein restriction I wouldn’t worry about the percentage at all - look at the ingredient list instead. And work with what suits your dog best.

Thanks guys, I was worrying over nothing so. Think I'm a little paranoid after previous experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭jimf

protein from the proper source as tk 123 said earlier

too much grains and cereals are used in cheaper foods fillers are what I see them as

we have a small little mixed grill with allergy and stomach issues shes on naturo wet grain free and taste of the wild nuts and thank god very little issues since she started on both

Thanks Jim. Hope all is well with your new(ish) addition. Time has flown!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭jimf

Taiga wrote: »
    Thanks Jim. Hope all is well with your new(ish) addition. Time has flown!

all great taiga and your guy

mine mad as a bag of spanners but we love him to bits

teething over and done thank god jesus he was the worst I ever had he would chew the devil

• Advertisement

Oh Jim our fella was the same. He's nearly done now at last but he'd eat anything and he has it in his gob before you can stop him. Like yours, he's pure bonkers so he fits right in. I forgot the work the puppy stage brings but it's so worth it.

Advertisement