Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

29-10-2019, 19:31   #1
frustrated101

Disability allowance refused

Hi there,

I'm looking for a little advice here. I have a diagnosed mental illness, and because of the severity of it, I was in receipt of Disability Allowance for a few years, up until the beginning of this year. When I was unwell during a terrible episode in January, I was completely out if and I left Ireland, eventually ending up in hospital in the UK for a few months. My D.A. was stopped as a result of leaving the country. I returned to Ireland in late June this year, when I was better, and I was told I will have to reapply for Disability. That was 4 months ago, and today I got a letter saying that my claim was refused. My mum sent me some money (€6,000) to help me get back on my feet in Ireland and after such a long hospitalisation, and they are rejecting my claim based on this (they are counting this money as means/income for 12 weeks, €500 per week, so I am being assessed with means of €500 per week for this period). This was a one-off gift to help me, as I was in a really desperate situation, and I'm staggered that I'm being rejected now. I literally had no money, nor possessions after being hospitalised (I had to buy clothes, new phone, pay rent etc) and this money is not income; it's an emergency situation, and I have spent most of the money getting back on my feet, with little money left now. I really need the disability allowance now more than ever and I am very deflated by the rejection.

Does anybody have any advice with this? I can appeal, but what are my chances of that working out? I intend to repay my mum when I can, so the money she gave is really just a bridging loan. Would it make any difference if I told them that?

Thanks a million. Really appreciate any advice.

Advertisement
30-10-2019, 11:23   #2

The HUGE priority for you is to get in your appeal within the 21 day period, and tell them that you'll send in supporting evidence later. And be sure to ask for a personal hearing. Then go to your local citizens information office for help on fleshing out the appeal.

FWIW, I think that approx 40% of DA appeals are successful.
Thanks from:
31-10-2019, 01:29   #3
bodhrandude

OP I wouldn't worry, re-appeal, this happens apparently in nearly every claim for DA, so I've heard from others. It seems to be a default for authorities to refuse for the first time, unless its a very severe case.
01-11-2019, 19:02   #4
Cork Trucker

A somewhat relevant article even if it’s a few years old

https://www.irishexaminer.com/irelan...ed-400304.html
09-11-2019, 15:28   #5
zachler

Yes, appeal is the the way to go. Contact the Community Welfare Officer in your area also for interim emergency payments to tide you over. Its what they are there for.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion