Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
29-10-2019, 11:15   #1
John225
Registered User
 
John225's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 18
Council house list

I just found last Friday that I am 10th on the council house list. Now, I am kind of confused. Does this mean that I will get my house relatively quickly? If so, how long does it take? Thanks!
John225 is offline  
Advertisement
29-10-2019, 14:34   #2
wifey28
Registered User
 
wifey28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 225
It will really depend on if they are building in your chosen areas. OR if houses become available.

it will also depend on if anyone is given priority on the list, they will automatically go to the top
wifey28 is offline  
29-10-2019, 15:18   #3
John225
Registered User
 
John225's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by wifey28 View Post
It will really depend on if they are building in your chosen areas. OR if houses become available.

it will also depend on if anyone is given priority on the list, they will automatically go to the top
I am currently on disability allowance and have been waiting for a house for over 10 years.
John225 is offline  
29-10-2019, 15:22   #4
wifey28
Registered User
 
wifey28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 225
your welfare status doesnt really play into this, on every list there are people with terminal illness or life limiting illness that will apply for and be granted priority on the list and they will automatically be bumped to the top.

so its jsut a case of suitable husing becomming available, for eg if your alone and looking for a one bed and they build a 12 house estate of 3 beds then people behind you on the list will get the offers as the house is deemed too big for you.

Same would be said if you were a family with 6 children(5 boys and 1 girl) and only all 2 or 3 beds were built, these would be deemed too small in most cases so again youd be passed over.
wifey28 is offline  
29-10-2019, 15:24   #5
decky1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 763
my daughter went on 'The List' a year ago , was told it would be 5 years before she MIGHT get a house.
decky1 is offline  
Advertisement
29-10-2019, 15:28   #6
Cork Trucker
Registered User
 
Cork Trucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 1,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by John225 View Post
I just found last Friday that I am 10th on the council house list. Now, I am kind of confused. Does this mean that I will get my house relatively quickly? If so, how long does it take? Thanks!
It will never be that as it will be owned by the council,unless of course you buy it you'll be a tenant. Waiting periods of 10-15 years are getting more and more common.
Cork Trucker is offline  
29-10-2019, 15:32   #7
Cork Trucker
Registered User
 
Cork Trucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 1,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by wifey28 View Post
your welfare status doesnt really play into this, on every list there are people with terminal illness or life limiting illness that will apply for and be granted priority on the list and they will automatically be bumped to the top.

so its jsut a case of suitable husing becomming available, for eg if your alone and looking for a one bed and they build a 12 house estate of 3 beds then people behind you on the list will get the offers as the house is deemed too big for you.

Same would be said if you were a family with 6 children(5 boys and 1 girl) and only all 2 or 3 beds were built, these would be deemed too small in most cases so again youd be passed over.
Yes i'm aware of similar to this, a family of 2 adults, 8 children ranging from 1 to 13 years old, boys sharing with girls who are menstruating, still on the council waiting list 13 years with no offer in sight, council social worker has even drafted up a report. Transfers are as difficult to achieve even if one is already a council tenant.
Cork Trucker is offline  
29-10-2019, 16:15   #8
wifey28
Registered User
 
wifey28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cork Trucker View Post
It will never be that as it will be owned by the council,unless of course you buy it you'll be a tenant. Waiting periods of 10-15 years are getting more and more common.



after 12 months you are given the option to purchase the house from the council, and begin making more like mortgage payments instead of rent payments
wifey28 is offline  
29-10-2019, 16:29   #9
tatranska
Registered User
 
tatranska's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 16,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by decky1 View Post
my daughter went on 'The List' a year ago , was told it would be 5 years before she MIGHT get a house.
Was on the list 5 years in fingal. Got a letter to say I'm 900 and something.
We didn't wait to get called
tatranska is offline  
Advertisement
29-10-2019, 16:38   #10
Mokuba
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,652
If you're not using CBL then it'll be much harder for you. 90 percent of properties go up on that.
Mokuba is offline  
29-10-2019, 22:14   #11
Cork Trucker
Registered User
 
Cork Trucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 1,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by wifey28 View Post
after 12 months you are given the option to purchase the house from the council, and begin making more like mortgage payments instead of rent payments
Correct
Cork Trucker is offline  
29-10-2019, 23:27   #12
michellie
Registered User
 
michellie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,142
My sister was told she was "top of the list" for about 2 years. I think they sometimes tell people that to fob them off. She was after applying for a transfer-she got it last month after 3 years waiting for a transfer. Nice brand new build she got.
michellie is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet