Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to trace a relative who moved to the UK

Options
  • 12-10-2018 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭

Hi All,

Perhaps one of you might have had some experience of this. I have an uncle, who left Ireland in the 1970s, and has only returned once (in the early 80s, for my grandmother's funeral). He hasn't been seen or heard of since then. From what my mother has said to me, he was a bit of a contrary character, and I believe he fell out with his siblings.

Anyway, I have his date of birth and his full name, but very little else. I don't even know if he is still alive. Does anyone have any experience of trying to locate a relative in the UK? How did you go about it? There is a strong chance he may have passed away at this stage, but it would be nice to know what became of him.

Thanks,

M.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

You could search 192.com for free to see if he appears on the electoral rolls.

And if he's since deceased he may appear in the UK civil death indexes which are available on Ancestry and FMP up to quite recently unlike here in Ireland where the current cu-off is in the 1960's.

For wills you can search here for free.

And if he happened to be a director in a company Nexok is another great free resource.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There is also the Salvation Army option.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Meursault wrote: »
    ...I have his date of birth...

Also worth mentioning, particularly in the case of more recent events, UK civil death indexes often include the persons date of birth.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

We have an item in the charter about not discussing how to find living people so unfortunately I'm going to shut this thread. If he is dead, you could try the British Newspaper Archive for death notices. Best of luck.

Genealogy Forum Mod

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement