Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus UCD Anti Social Behaviour

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Del2005 wrote: »
    It's UCD students that are the problem so UCD has to solve the problem.

If problems in Jobstown are caused by tenants of South Dublin council is it then up to them to solve the problem there?

It was more for dealing with issues on the campus. Remove student ID's from students and remove non students who are causing problems, which is what they are supposed to do according to their own rules.

I absolutely agree that UCD should take strong action for anything that occurs on campus. However, Dublin Bus and the Gardai need to also coordinate to get rid of this menace.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

It's mad the amount think it's perfectly fine to cause a nuisance for example and when getting off even though I've said nothing to them about it but then be abused by them getting off from name calling, threating behaviour, throw a bottle or can etc etc.....

These tools need a quick lesson in how to grow up and treat others with respect but unfortunately the way things are going where anyone and everyone is offended by been told how to behave or they'll sue etc etc....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

It's mad the amount think it's perfectly fine to cause a nuisance for example and when getting off even though I've said nothing to them about it but then be abused by them getting off from name calling, threating behaviour, throw a bottle or can etc etc.....

These tools need a quick lesson in how to grow up and treat others with respect but unfortunately the way things are going where anyone and everyone is offended by been told how to behave or they'll sue etc etc....

I think the main cause of the problem is that the students are remaining on campus either going to the on campus bar or the residences to pre drink. If they were going home and then meeting up in town or going to each others houses then incidents would be more spontaneous.

Realistically the Gardai should be doing more they should be travelling on board buses. Saw two Guards get on the DART at Blackrock last night and that was probably the first time I've seen Guards on public transport on regular patrol not responding to an incident. I've also suggested that DB should provide security on board buses similar to on the Luas and the Dart and deploy in them in areas where trouble is expected such as on buses serving UCD for staff and passenger protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭thomasj

Sorry if I shouldn't have dragged up this oldish thread.

Just heard an announcement over the intercom while on the 39A , that they were pulling buses out of Belfield tonight because of antisocial behaviour.

thomasj wrote: »
    Sorry if I shouldn't have dragged up this oldish thread.

Just heard an announcement over the intercom while on the 39A , that they were pulling buses out of Belfield tonight because of antisocial behaviour.

Yes, 46A,145 and 155 are bypassing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Thursday on the first week of term. This was when Dublin Bus, UCD and the Gardai should have made an effort to read the riot act and make an example of a few troublemakers and set the tone for 2020. My best guess is that they made no such effort.

As a driver we are not backed up by management.

No matter what is said they believe anyone but their own staff.

Sad really.

It's one of the main responsibilities of employers to ensure that their staff can go about their business without being at risk and if they're at risk, to take whatever action is necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭LastStop

As a driver we are not backed up by management.

No matter what is said they believe anyone but their own staff.

There are protocols in place for anti social behaviour not just in Ucd but also for most of the troublespots in Dublin.

If management didn't believe drivers there wouldn't have been a meeting with the company, Gardai, unions, Ucd staff and student unions at the start of the year.

Db also ran a workshop for the students in the university at the start of the year highlighting the impact anti social behaviour has.

I'd be the first one to call DB management out but I don't agree with you that on this the drivers are not believed or backed up, can more be done? yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

LastStop wrote: »
    There are protocols in place for anti social behaviour not just in Ucd but also for most of the troublespots in Dublin.

If management didn't believe drivers there wouldn't have been a meeting with the company, Gardai, unions, Ucd staff and student unions at the start of the year.

Db also ran a workshop for the students in the university at the start of the year highlighting the impact anti social behaviour has.

I'd be the first one to call DB management out but I don't agree with you that on this the drivers are not believed or backed up, can more be done? yes.

Absolutely true.

The situation at UCD is a long running saga,going back decades and merely reflects or concentrates a far deeper,destructive malaise within Irish Youth culture.

Dublin Bus management,both Local and Central,has engaged repeatedly,and at length with the MANY other "stakeholders" ( to use modern administrative non-speak) in this sorry production,all to little avail.

Dublin Bus,or ANY Bus Company has an obligation to Employee Health & Safety in relation to the workplace,hence the Security Screen,Radio,Staff Cars and Liason with College Authorities and Gardai...all of which have been worked to death.

What is immediately apparent to Bus Drivers of any Operator serving this location is the almost total refusal of ANY of the other "Authorities" to take ownership of the physical locations where the issues are arising ie: Bus Stops.

The National Transport Authority burst blood vessels to get Bus Stop provision within their remit,significant efforts were deployed to wrestle the responsibility from Local Authorities/Gardai/Operators,yet the same Authority (whatever that term means in this context) now appears to be totally mute to what is occurring on THEIR facilities.

The Garda Authorities had a very strategically located facility within easy reach of the Belfield hot-spot,which they felt sufficiently confident to demote to a part-time status,closing now (perhaps also strategically) each evening at 1900.

It should also be noted that the perpetrators of this knuckle-dragging savagery,are all headed into the City Centre area,usually to a well known collection of premises catering to the "Student" market,almost all of which deploy VERY strong in-your face physical security measures before letting these cannibals in to their premises...there's a strong hint of how to approach this particular issue here.....for those who wish to see it.

This behavioural abberation is for sure a problem for UCD itself,and indeed the broader 3rd Level "industry",however so focused are the College Authorities on the "Fees" issue that all else appears to be disregarded,which to degree (;) !) is reflected in the collapse of Irish 3rd Level ratings on the Worldwide comparison level.

These young people remain supremely confident of their place in Society,I see no realization of services of any sort being Provided for them,but a constant expectation that they are entitled to them and actually demand them,at whatever level they require.

With Garda resources now stretched by the really serious issues throughout the City,few appear to have even considered that the UCD behaviour can be seen as a first-step on a ladder eventually leading to full-on Gangsterism,with all that that brings...and yes,it is THAT serious.

There really is NO alternative to identifying the alpha-male ringleaders,and many Busdrivers can readily identify the same clowns each week,then remove them from the scene using whatever force is required,and make that PUBLIC,for all to see and in particular ensure that the rest of the bus using public get to put their point to the Alpha one...which,of itself,might just have a more immediate effect than some workshops or whispered low-key conversations about good manners on public transport ??

Bring back the stocks ?? :)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement

Ok no worries, don't believe me.

I've plenty of experience.

There may be protocols but I've never been backed up.

I don't get why Dublin bus don't advertise this information on their website and social media?

If it's 13, 40, 27 etc they have no issue publicising this but for UCD , they're quiet enough ?

At least a few of these notices being put up might get a bit more attention on the situation ?

Ok no worries, don't believe me.

I've plenty of experience.

There may be protocols but I've never been backed up.

In what way do you want to be backed up?

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭ITV2

I don't get why Dublin bus don't advertise this information on their website and social media?

If it's 13, 40, 27 etc they have no issue publicising this but for UCD , they're quiet enough ?

At least a few of these notices being put up might get a bit more attention on the situation ?

ah but in UCD it's only boisterous Loike.

In what way do you want to be backed up?

Bogus complaints, spoken to like a fool by management, giving orders that are ridiculous, collisions not our fault but are said to be by them, in court numerous times never backed up even though happened on job, coroner court appearance due to work with no representation, numerous numerous things.

Told to go into an area that I had warned there would be issues to be given a direct order( their words) to then be ambushed etc...

Bogus complaints, spoken to like a fool by management, giving orders that are ridiculous, collisions not our fault but are said to be by them, in court numerous times never backed up even though happened on job, coroner court appearance due to work with no representation, numerous numerous things.

Told to go into an area that I had warned there would be issues to be given a direct order( their words) to then be ambushed etc...

But how does that relate to the current issues at UCD? There are issues at ucd, you've said they not backed up drivers, I've highlighted the various attempts to quell the anti social behaviour and now you are talking about non UCD issues. If you've had bad experiences with management relating to many other points, I 100%believe you.

Buses wont be going up to Ucd after 21.30 on Monday and Thursday now.

But how does that relate to the current issues at UCD? There are issues at ucd, you've said they not backed up drivers, I've highlighted the various attempts to quell the anti social behaviour and now you are talking about non UCD issues. If you've had bad experiences with management relating to many other points, I 100%believe you.

Company man?

Seriously I'm stating a fact ok, believe it or not, we are not backed up at all.

I've had many an issue at UCD and nothing done or helped.

Last time I needed help 2 hours for a chief inspector and 3½ hours for Gardai to arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

It may well be that the thread title has been expanded somewhat to include broader,and perhaps personal issues ?

Nobody is suggesting that these issues are in any way invalid,but as you say,they are largely irrelevant to THIS thread.

Dublin Bus-Go Ahead Ireland-Bus Eireann or ANY other transport provider serving this place have almost NO power to solve the basic problem here,which is a serious and ongoing Public Order Issue.

The incidents are almost choreographed and can be easily timetabled,as can be seen by the two Removal of Service days,which begs the question as to why the AUTHORITIES ( and we have many of such bodies) appear to be so disinterested,ignorant or unwilling to address the causitive factors here ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Buses curtailed again tonight 39a starting from Belfield court

Good to see the notice up on RTPI signs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Needs Must

Buses curtailed again tonight 39a starting from Belfield court

Good to see the notice up on RTPI signs.

Thank you, good to know

Advertisement