Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,105 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Esse85 wrote: »
    Seem to remember Young had decent set piece delivery back in the day. Something we lack since Hourihane. Not sure what he's like these days.
    Always felt he was more of a left winger than left back.

Getting our knickers in a twist over a 35 year old who just won the Serie A title is OTT. I'm sure Smith and the recruitment team know what they are doing. They have gotten it right far more than they have been wrong. This is very low risk. I'll give it a chance.

You wash your mouth out with sense.

Although I hope young isn't the fall on his arse nonsense that he was known for at United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭Esse85

listermint wrote: »
    You wash your mouth out with sense.

Although I hope young isn't the fall on his arse nonsense that he was known for at United.

The dives, kissing the Utd badge and what he did to Angel Di Maria at Old Trafford really made him a dislikeable guy.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Confirmed. Remember the goal against Everton?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I'm not sure ilike the announcement on Instagram, basically all the things he won after the left Villa...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Yikes, was that Bohs game 11 years ago...

My only memory from that game were the traveling Villa fans singing "super, super Marc, super, super Marc, super Marc Albroyyyghtin"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Ashley Young left Villa 10 years ago next week and we appointed McLeish on this day 10 years ago too which ultimately set the club into a decline which has taken a long time to reverse.

Ashley Young was probably the best player at this club for me over the past 20 years. He was simply sensational at times and whilst that same player is long gone now, his eagerness to come back and help out at the club is something that ultimately has to be very welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Young coming back for ye...

I wouldn't think its a bad signing at all, will be back up id imagine, has a good connection with the club and tbh will give his best effort on the day when called up. He wasn't that bad for us at all at lb for united but it showed he wanted to adapt to the position for the club.
    Has a very decent cross on him tbf when you consider the rest of the league, crossing ability is terrible.

That trio though of downing, gabby and young (i think) were very good back in the day. (Not saying that will translate now but those 3 always stuck with me with villa)

Nice bit of business i think from the outside looking in and sure the experience will be some sort of a boost having a cup winner not only to the squad but your current starting lb if that where he ends up playing.
    Also give the option for lw/lwfb if needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Interesting comments from club sources saying there was a plan for the summer transfer window to be quiet but owners now believe the uncertainty at Spurs, Arsenal and Everton could lead to us leapfrogging them this coming season if they invest heavily again.

Linked with Aaron Ramsey this morning supposedly in pole position

Tipped to sign highly rated 16 year old Fleetwood player also who United are after

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Testament to where we're going that Ramsay doesn't excite me as an idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I don't want that Aaron Ramsey.

Nice player but has been injury prone and is on monster wages at Juventus.

We have our own anyway.
    https://www.avfc.co.uk/players/u23/aaronramsey/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Engels going to Antwerp. Had a promising start but just fell to bits.

No loss, hopefully we can upgrade and have someone who can provide genuine competition to Hause for backup

LeBash wrote: »
    Engels going to Antwerp. Had a promising start but just fell to bits.

Never recovered from that Spurs game.

I would be hugely disappointed if we signed Ramsey, no thanks, he'd be another Barkley. Wonder who will come in at CB, doubtful it will be Tuanzebe, he may as well stay on the bench at Utd.

That will be Engels, Heaton, Elmo, Taylor, Barkley gone from last season. Hourihane likely to go too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

so with ashley young rejoining who do you think we are in for next? dion dublin maybe?:-)
    )

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    so with ashley young rejoining who do you think we are in for next? dion dublin maybe?:-)
    )

Tommy Johnson to replace Sanson I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭AVFC.Stephen

)

Gabby

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I don't know if I want to see Ramsey signed. No doubt like most I would prefer to see another young player ready to make that next step up like Beundia or Smith Rowe but the more I think about it I guess I can see some logic in it.

Barkley was paid about 100k a week. Juventus want to get Ramsey off their wage bill and nobody wants to go for him considering his wages (supposedly 187k a week) so perhaps Villa think they can tell Juve that they would take him off their hands but only pay around what they had been paying Chelsea for Barkely. He adds a lot of experience to the team, can hopefully hit the ground running as he knows the premiership and should improve the side and the squad overall as he also plays in a position we need re-enforcement in while essentially costing nothing extra.

Suddenly the 3 behind Watkins becomes - Grealish (left), Ramsey (center), Beundia (right)

From the boards POV adding the experience of Ramsey and Young at no extra cost (just replacing the wages of Barkley & Taylor) would probably seem like a no brainer and allow for investment elsewhere - Beundia, Prowse, a CF?, a CB replacement for Engels

Gabby

The thing is, he's younger than Ashley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭remoteboy

I don't know if I want to see Ramsey signed. No doubt like most I would prefer to see another young player ready to make that next step up like Beundia or Smith Rowe but the more I think about it I guess I can see some logic in it.

Barkley was paid about 100k a week. Juventus want to get Ramsey off their wage bill and nobody wants to go for him considering his wages (supposedly 187k a week) so perhaps Villa think they can tell Juve that they would take him off their hands but only pay around what they had been paying Chelsea for Barkely. He adds a lot of experience to the team, can hopefully hit the ground running as he knows the premiership and should improve the side and the squad overall as he also plays in a position we need re-enforcement in while essentially costing nothing extra.

Suddenly the 3 behind Watkins becomes - Grealish (left), Ramsey (center), Beundia (right)

From the boards POV adding the experience of Ramsey and Young at no extra cost (just replacing the wages of Barkley & Taylor) would probably seem like a no brainer and allow for investment elsewhere - Beundia, Prowse, a CF?, a CB replacement for Engels

Always liked Ramsey as a player but way too injury prone.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/aaron-ramsey/verletzungen/spieler/50057

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Read an interesting link earlier in the form of Julian Alvarez of River Plate.

Birmingham mail saying that Villa will begin talks with his representatives this week over a 15m move. It being such a specific link makes me think there may be some truth to it.

He just had his first call up to the Argentina squad, where he would have been interacting with the two Emis and scored 11 goals in 20 appearances in the Copa Libertadores (their CL) this season. Not too bad for a 21 year old winger.

Read an interesting link earlier in the form of Julian Alvarez of River Plate.

Birmingham mail saying that Villa will begin talks with his representatives this week over a 15m move. It being such a specific link makes me think there may be some truth to it.

He just had his first call up to the Argentina squad, where he would have been interacting with the two Emis and scored 11 goals in 20 appearances in the Copa Libertadores (their CL) this season. Not too bad for a 21 year old winger.

A Done deal apparently. I'll wait for the official word.

Jack is going to go isn't he :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,550 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Jack is going to go isn't he :(

???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

20 million pound deal , i very excite

Lots of pundits saying Villa will sell Jack and they are spending now to have replacement and a good balance before he goes.

I don't buy it though it's obvious we will progress next season and do very well Jack could be playing European football with his home club so hopefully that would encourage him to stay

If City get Kane it's going to cost 120m plus can't see them going in for Jack spending that much again.

• Advertisement

kilburn wrote: »
    Lots of pundits saying Villa will sell Jack and they are spending now to have replacement and a good balance before he goes.

I don't buy it though it's obvious we will progress next season and do very well Jack could be playing European football with his home club so hopefully that would encourage him to stay

If City get Kane it's going to cost 120m plus can't see them going in for Jack spending that much again.

Do any of those pundits actually have a clue though or are they just saying what creates headlines? You can’t prolong a ‘Jack is staying at Villa’ story throughout the summer.

I think jack leaving is a real possibility with his ability.
    Hope we get one more season with him to try get club to his level , if we can get top 6 next season he stays again with promise of progress

I do know one person with connections to the club that has told me he wants to go this summer and has said as much to the club. Whether that means we actually agree to that happening or City agree to pay us enough to make it acceptable is a different story.

CSF wrote:
    Do any of those pundits actually have a clue though or are they just saying what creates headlines? You can’t prolong a ‘Jack is staying at Villa’ story throughout the summer.

Agreed the pundits I saw in the papers wouldn't have a clue and are only getting headline attached to their names for profile building.

He's on a serious wedge at Villa with plenty left, it would take a big offer to get him, who in the Premier that has the cash needs him? I would say at the moment, no one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

He's on a serious wedge at Villa with plenty left, it would take a big offer to get him, who in the Premier that has the cash needs him? I would say at the moment, no one.

City are the only Team with the money, I would say. But they have Foden in that spot.

CSF wrote: »

The pundits haven't a breeze about any club outside the 4 or 5 big hitters. Leicester are still a surprise to some of those ejits and most are surprised at the fact we have money. They spend the first half of the season surprised we were playing well when they were commentating and some of them were 4 months late seeing it.

I doubt Grealish goes this summer and if we get a good finish next season (in Jack's head a good finish might be Champions League or Europa League or top 8 or whatever) he will stay on.

I'd say there will be a new contract for him soon as well.

Jack's injury record isn't great and for someone to shell the money out that we would want, that's probably a red flag. He's missed 1/3rd of last season, a fair few the season before and over 1/3rd of the last season in the Championship. Can anyone see a club parting with 80-100 million for a player with that record over the last 3 years? I doubt he's anywhere near 100% now or he would be starting for England.

sc86 wrote: »
    I think jack leaving is a real possibility with his ability.
    Hope we get one more season with him to try get club to his level , if we can get top 6 next season he stays again with promise of progress

There is never going to be a summer where that possibility doesn’t exist until he actually does leave.

Even the summer we win the league?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭pavb2

Rashica gone to Norwich . . . they’re spending the Buendia money.

pavb2 wrote: »
    Rashica gone to Norwich . . . they’re spending the Buendia money.

Only 9.5 million….but he only scored 3 goals last season in a relegation team so eh his star has fallen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Only 9.5 million….but he only scored 3 goals last season in a relegation team so eh his star has fallen

I reckon thats a big bullet dodged..There is no way we would not have snaffled him up at 10m..something is fishy..and im afraid norwich will be left with the smell

I reckon thats a big bullet dodged..There is no way we would not have snaffled him up at 10m..something is fishy..and im afraid norwich will be left with the smell

Werder were relegated and needed cash, combined with him coming off a poor season. I think it’s a good risk for Norwich to be taking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,105 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I do know one person with connections to the club that has told me he wants to go this summer and has said as much to the club. Whether that means we actually agree to that happening or City agree to pay us enough to make it acceptable is a different story.

By connections do you mean they walk by the ground to get their daily paper :P

The club is in huge progress phase with the investment if we push on next season he is staying if not. Maybe.

But I don't see it this year sorry.

Wasn't he badly injured going into the season?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭VillaMad

LeBash wrote: »
    Wasn't he badly injured going into the season?

Only made 14 starts last season and was missing regularly. Will be interesting to see how he gets on at Premier League level as we really wanted him last season.

Engels gone to Royal Antwerp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,988 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Werder were relegated and needed cash, combined with him coming off a poor season. I think it’s a good risk for Norwich to be taking.

Was only a year left on his contract too, so a whole bunch of reasons all seeming to add up to a good value punt for Norwich. Probably not worth the risk for Villa, but a decent extra threat for Norwich at a price low enough to keep strengthening elsewhere.

Engels gone to Royal Antwerp.

I read with that deal and Samatta club has brought in 10m

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Panrich

Big chance but also big responsibility for Grealish tonight. If things don't go well, he'll be in the firing line as he's clearly the creative player in that line-up.

Panrich wrote: »
    Big chance but also big responsibility for Grealish tonight. If things don't go well, he'll be in the firing line as he's clearly the creative player in that line-up.

Assists the first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Assist already for Jack!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭Patser

Assist already for Jack!

£20 million onto asking price

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Panrich

Patser wrote: »
    £20 million onto asking price

We don't have an asking price. We have an answering price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭Patser

Panrich wrote: »
    We don't have an asking price. We have an answering price.

Whatever it is has just gone back down about £10 million, subbed off after very quiet 2nd half, not looking happy

Advertisement