Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a fountain pen for secondary school use/quick writing?

Options
  • 28-11-2019 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭

Hello,

My son, who is in third year, likes to use a fountain pen. He currently has a cheap Parker Vector pen that takes Quink cartridges. It did improve the quality of his handwriting.

The thickness of its line and the general feel make his writing quite slow, but he is saying he does even worse with a usual ball point pen. So I'm looking at getting him a better fountain pen.

But I know very little about fountain pens. How do I choose the pen that is right for him? Might be ideal for him to try things out with different pens, but would Limerick, where we are, even have a place that would have a selection of fountain pens to try? I googled around but all I could find was a shop in Dun Laoghaire, not exactly easy to reach.

The budget I'd have is up to 50 Euro. I understand there are really great fountain pens at around 100 Euro, but I am not comfortable getting a tool like that for secondary school. (Third level would be different),

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

It’s 6 months later but I only found this post by searching for “fountain pens”. Have you considered the Lamy Safari pen? (https://www.amazon.co.uk/safari-1203065-FH-Medium-Fountain/dp/B000GPI74U). It has the advantage of either using cartridges or a proper ink reservoir converter. And the nibs are easily removed so if you don’t like a medium nib, you can swap it out for a fine nib and so forth. I bought mine at the pen corner in Dame street, Dublin a while back. They usually come in at well under the 50 euro mark. You can go into the shop and try the pens out before buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MichaelR

We did consider the Lamy Safari but we ended up going all Chinese, with Jinhao pens and the like. My son now has a small collection, and there are some he really likes.

Advertisement