Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GRO Offices in Dublin and Roscommon

Options
  • 16-07-2013 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Quick, and perhaps stupid questions!

Do the GRO office in Dublin and Roscommon contain access to the same records? And if so, can I visit the Roscommon office to get records, or is that only possible in Dublin?

As someone living not far outside Sligo, this makes a huge difference if I can spin up to Roscommon to get records!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

There's no public office in Roscommon, as far as I know. You could try ringing and pleading your case!

They have the exact same records in each place.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭hjr

pinkypinky wrote: »
    There's no public office in Roscommon, as far as I know. You could try ringing and pleading your case!

They have the exact same records in each place.

Thanks Pinkypinky...I might do that...Even if I could order records for collection it'd be a big help!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

or you could save a trip and order by post - same price either way for research certs

shanew wrote: »
    or you could save a trip and order by post - same price either way for research certs

Thats true, its always good to get the records while in the office though, in case its not the right one, and you want to try a different records straight away!

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭JR79

hjr wrote: »
    Quick, and perhaps stupid questions!

Do the GRO office in Dublin and Roscommon contain access to the same records? And if so, can I visit the Roscommon office to get records, or is that only possible in Dublin?

As someone living not far outside Sligo, this makes a huge difference if I can spin up to Roscommon to get records!

Thanks in advance!

I've called into Roscommon before & got brith & death records there.
    The lady who printed out the records for me was very helpfull, I had narrowed down a list of would be great grandmothers, she asked me the townland & printed out the one I was looking for rather than them all!

• Advertisement

JR79 wrote: »
    I've called into Roscommon before & got brith & death records there.
    The lady who printed out the records for me was very helpfull, I had narrowed down a list of would be great grandmothers, she asked me the townland & printed out the one I was looking for rather than them all!

Thats great to hear! I rang them yesterday and asked about going in looking up records and she said no, that was only in Dublin, as they don't have the staff for that...but in fairness I have no issue bringing all the reference numbers with me, and would be delighted to get guidance from them..

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

GRO offices to move to Werburgh St. The current location was very good. I wonder what the new one will be like.

http://irish-genealogy-news.blogspot.com/2013/07/gros-dublin-research-room-to-move-in.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

GRO offices to move to Werburgh St. The current location was very good. I wonder what the new one will be like.

http://irish-genealogy-news.blogspot.com/2013/07/gros-dublin-research-room-to-move-in.html

I just read this and was about to post. According to the blog piece, not very salubrious.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Provide decent computerised records and the need for the research room plummets. I suspect it'd be easier to find a much smaller high quality room for the tourist traffic.

I'm pretty certain that, location aside, that building isn't "dilapidated" though seeing as it was the media centre for the EU Presidency.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

That is going to be a pain :( What a dreadful location, considering where they are now! I'll be fecked if I'm walking all the way up there from Connolly or Tara St!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭JR79

hjr wrote: »
    Thats great to hear! I rang them yesterday and asked about going in looking up records and she said no, that was only in Dublin, as they don't have the staff for that...but in fairness I have no issue bringing all the reference numbers with me, and would be delighted to get guidance from them..

Ya it's fine so long as you have page number, district etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

If the GRO does move to Werburgh St, then only positive thing I can see is it will be just a stone's throw from the National Archives. If they make the service better, then good for them, but if not, then I will not be a happy bunny!! Am in despair at the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if they put them all online with full detail searches,they'd make a small fortune with the interest of both the Irish diaspora and those of us at home, wouldn't they? :confused: What's the big deal? Is someone preventing full online access for their own reasons? I don't get it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

A bit more info there such as it being a temporary move.

I wonder will there by any down time between lease expiring and new location opening. Also, temporary moves have the worrying habit of lengthening, especially as a suitable permanent location is still to be found.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I remember that old dole office in Werburgh Street. Doubt they can spruce it up to any degree in time for a move in September. This move is planned to happen after the majority of the returning 'Gatherers' have gone home and that's the crummy facilities that the staff and local researchers will be left with. Shameful!

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

mod9maple wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but if they put them all online with full detail searches,they'd make a small fortune with the interest of both the Irish diaspora and those of us at home, wouldn't they? :confused: What's the big deal? Is someone preventing full online access for their own reasons? I don't get it.

They'd make a killing.

I've used Scotland's People to go back to my great x 4 grandparents. I've spent a fortune but have birth, marriage, death & census records going back to 1822. I think it's an excellent site and would love to see something similar here.

Great Irish Roots column this week about it!

Advertisement