Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Griffiths question

Options
  • 03-05-2020 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Wondering if anyone can help me out with this. I'm looking at Rinnafarset in Donegal on Griffiths. The ledger page lists the occupiers with numbers, whereas the maps use letters (all versions of the map as far as I can tell). Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Also another question - some occupiers are not associated with a number, and just have "Land" under the Description of Tenement. Does this mean that person rented land there, but didn't live there?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I've just had a look - that is very odd. The maps are later Valuation Office records rather than the original maps. It would be worth calling the VO to ask their opinion.

Your second question: yes.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 3 genaunt

I was interested in this as I have Donegal roots. What I found more unusual about the townland was the 'numbering' of each of the houses/plots in the printed list rather than the lettering on the maps. I see the publication date of the list was 1857 so maybe that was actually printed later than the 'marked-up' maps and that, by that stage, there were more occupiers than letters in the alphabet - and the valuer decided to adopt a different tack?
    Have you read the very useful document by James Reilly about reading Griffiths? You can find it on the 'Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy' website. To browse for it, you just add 'dot com' after the names of the two counties (with the hyphen in between) and it's the fifth document from end on the home page. It's 12/13 pages well worth reading, I would suggest

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement