Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dillon Surname DNA Research Project

Options
  • 01-07-2017 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Today there are estimated to be approximately 100,000 Dillons across the world; contrary to what many believe, the Dillon surname is not solely an Irish name and is not of a single origin. For example, although many believe that all Irish Dillons are descended from the Anglo-Norman invader Sir Henry de Leon who came to Ireland with the Normans in the 12th century this is not the case. Whilst some Dillons are indeed descendants of Sir Henry de Leon the surname has multiple unrelated origins with origins from outside Ireland such as France for example and this is supported by the findings to date of this DNA project.
    Unfortunately, Irish family history research is often difficult, particularly when attempting to research prior to the 19th century due to many crucial records having been destroyed. In the absence of conventional records DNA has a crucial role to play in research Irish surnames such as the Dillons and enable modern day Dillons to discover their Dillon ancestry and cousins.

To find out more and how to get DNA tested please visit our website (dillondna.blogspot.co.uk) and Facebook page (facebook.com/dillondnaproject)

The project was first established in 2005 and we currently have 100 members but are looking to dramatically increase this number and have recently launched the Facebook page and blog and have started publicising the project much more widely.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The Dillon matches on my DNA test are by far the most numerous of the 'known' matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 DillonDNA

spurious wrote: »
    The Dillon matches on my DNA test are by far the most numerous of the 'known' matches.
    Out of interest was that an autosomal or Y-DNA test that you took?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

DillonDNA wrote: »
    Out of interest was that an autosomal or Y-DNA test that you took?

Autosomal. The Dillons are on my mother's side. Most of the matches are in Australia. The Australians seem to think the common ancestor is my mother's gggrandfather (as yet a paper trail eludes us). They did tend to have rather a lot of children.

Do you have a list online where people can add their kit numbers and compare in GEDMatch?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 DillonDNA

Having a list of GEDMATCH kit numbers for people with Dillon ancestry is a great idea which I have now implemented: dillondna.blogspot.co.uk/p/list-of-autosomal-test-kit-numbers.html?showComment=1498937569506

If your autosomal test was with Family Tree DNA (or if you transfer the results to FTDNA) you could still join the Dillon project as quite a few of our members have also taken an autosomal test. That would then allow you to search for autosomal matches in the Dillon Project. Also, if you have a male Dillon relative you could ask them to take a Y-DNA test as a proxy for you and a Y-DNA would probably give you a better chance of finding Dillon relatives.

Advertisement