Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning an extension, Need advice

Options
  • 16-09-2020 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭

Hi,

we are in a 3 bed semi-d,

The neighbours have a 2 story extension built on the boundary wall, houses are approx 1960’s we currently have a shed on the side of the house, attached to there extension. Is it possible to match or go above to roof level, their 2 storey extension? I’m aware I will need planning. I can’t find pictures of it done anywhere. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,111 ✭✭✭✭looksee

What are you seeing as a problem? Presumably you mean to remove the shed and extend your house using the boundary wall as a party wall?
    Is it possible to match or go above to roof level, their 2 storey extension?

Do you mean to incorporate your roof / attic space into the extension, presumably they have a flat roof?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

As it is there extension roof stops approx 1ft below the main roof, can I bring mine above that or must I be below? Sorry if it’s messed up, will try to send sketch/picture. Their roof is not flat, runs at same angle as main roof, but below.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Can yo post a picture?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,217 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

is the boundary wall a parapet wall with all their stuff inside on their side?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

is the boundary wall a parapet wall with all their stuff inside on their side?

Yeah they built directly up off boundary wall, planning wasn’t a thing I suppose !!

Is it ok to tie into that for my build?

• Advertisement

Boundary walls usually have barely enough foundation to hold themselves up, much less a two story extension wall - or two.

These are pictures from front and back, hope it explains better, take no notice of there window looking into our property!!

phobia2011 wrote: »
    These are pictures from front and back, hope it explains better, take no notice of there window looking into our property!!

From the back

Is the side of their house the boundary? You would be proposing to take out the shed/covered area and effectively turn the two houses into a terrace? How does your shed (the bit joining the two houses?) fit into the design? What happens to their window - they would not have been allowed to put a window into a boundary wall like that - the whole thing is very confusing.

looksee wrote: »
    Is the side of their house the boundary? You would be proposing to take out the shed/covered area and effectively turn the two houses into a terrace? How does your shed (the bit joining the two houses?) fit into the design? What happens to their window - they would not have been allowed to put a window into a boundary wall like that - the whole thing is very confusing.

Yes the side of their house is the boundary, correct, I’m hoping to remove the shed and build up to the same height or slightly higher than theirs. So yes, turn it into a terrace. The shed will turn into a utility/bathroom. Hopefully with a bedroom above, I’m not worried about their window as I’m just going to block it up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement