Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sanctions for parking?

Options
  • 16-09-2020 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

What is the sanction, if any, of pulling in to the side of the road where there are double yellow lines and also partially on the path.

I saw a lady earlier on in her car, which must have overheated and somebody came along and photographed the car, front and back.

A few minutes later a guy came, filled it with several bottles of water and they drove off. Wondering about the guy with the camera phone. Busybody maybe? Council guy reporting it to clampers perhaps, or even to the gardai?

Can you get a ticket in the mail based on a camera phone photo? And if it did happen, how could you defend it?

It was Wynne field Rd in rathmines. Funny one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Richmond Ultra

40 euro fine for parking on double yellows.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

in all probability it'll be someone from a group such as Dublin Cycling Campaign,Free The pavements, or some other twitter/facebook pressure group. You'll probably find the registration number featured on a tweet or similar.

Anyways
    I seem to recall that the legislation for being stopped on double yellow lines does allow for repair/recovery of a broken down vehicle BUT pulling it onto the footpath probably wouldn't be allowed.

EDIT

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1997/si/182/made/en/print#article5
    (2) Save where otherwise expressly provided in these Regulations, a prohibition on the entry of a vehicle to a road or an area or the prohibition on the stopping or parking of a vehicle imposed by these Regulations shall not apply to—
    ( d ) a vehicle which has been damaged or has broken down, during the period necessary to effect repairs to the vehicle or remove it from the location;

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

What is the sanction, if any, of pulling in to the side of the road where there are double yellow lines and also partially on the path.

I saw a lady earlier on in her car, which must have overheated and somebody came along and photographed the car, front and back.

A few minutes later a guy came, filled it with several bottles of water and they drove off. Wondering about the guy with the camera phone. Busybody maybe? Council guy reporting it to clampers perhaps, or even to the gardai?

Can you get a ticket in the mail based on a camera phone photo? And if it did happen, how could you defend it?

It was Wynne field Rd in rathmines. Funny one.

Driving (including parking) on the footway is an offence under art 13 of the 1997 regulations. I find it offensive that you might refer to the person as a “busybody”. Breaking down on the side of the road is not always controllable but there is no excuse for them parking it up on the footpath. The road is the place for the car even if it causes an obstruction to other drivers. There’s no excuse for it causing an obstruction to pedestrians. The road you reference is a wide one way street with narrow footpaths very near a school. Absolutely no excuse to be on the footpath. It’s also 50 yards from a Garda station so hopefully they will have been reported. And before you say I’m on a high horse, that road can easily take two cars abreast. The footpaths can barely take 2 people abreast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

Marcusm wrote: »
    Driving (including parking) on the footway is an offence under art 13 of the 1997 regulations. I find it offensive that you might refer to the person as a “busybody”. Breaking down on the side of the road is not always controllable but there is no excuse for them parking it up on the footpath. The road is the place for the car even if it causes an obstruction to other drivers. There’s no excuse for it causing an obstruction to pedestrians. The road you reference is a wide one way street with narrow footpaths very near a school. Absolutely no excuse to be on the footpath. It’s also 50 yards from a Garda station so hopefully they will have been reported. And before you say I’m on a high horse, that road can easily take two cars abreast. The footpaths can barely take 2 people abreast.

I think she was quite considerate stopping where they did. They managed to pull in without blocking the road AND the path. I know this as I walked past on it. They could have stopped and caused a blockage.

You are easily offended if you dislike the term busybody in these circumstances. A small thin guy with a shopping bag and floppy hat taking photos, front and back, of broken down cars....

I also disagree with the comment it is wide enough for two cars. You are obviously thinking of a different road.

I walked down to centra down the path and back a few minutes later.

• Advertisement

I think she was quite considerate stopping where they did. They managed to pull in without blocking the road AND the path. I know this as I walked past on it. They could have stopped and caused a blockage.

You are easily offended if you dislike the term busybody in these circumstances. A small thin guy with a shopping bag and floppy hat taking photos, front and back, of broken down cars....

The road is plenty wide for two cars. She was not in the slightest bit considerate in parking on the pavement. She is a road user and her blockage should only impact on other users. That’s what some people don’t get. I see an empty space so I fill it not “which blind, paraplegic or nervous person will this inconvenience”.

The road is plenty wide for two cars. She was not in the slightest bit considerate in parking on the pavement. She is a road user and her blockage should only impact on other users. That’s what some people don’t get. I see an empty space so I fill it not “which blind, paraplegic or nervous person will this inconvenience”.

There are two paths. One road. Perhaps you just hate cars that you would prefer a road to be blocked rather than a broken car pull in to one side of the road.
    It was not a mini it was a big car that would absolutely block the road for anything bigger than a fiesta. Or maybe you were there and saw different to me?

There are two paths. One road. Perhaps you just hate cars that you would prefer a road to be blocked rather than a broken car pull in to one side of the road.
    It was not a mini it was a big car that would absolutely block the road for anything bigger than a fiesta. Or maybe you were there and saw different to me?

There’s probably no point in arguing this. I live locally and would more likely drive for 2 minutes than walk 10 as I am a big fat slob but I am a considerate one who would have the sense to realise that this minor cut through for cars would not cause any severe tailbacks or blockages given that it’s maybe 100m long and can only result in a left turn at the end.

I am, however, increasingly frustrated at my fellow drivers throwing cars up on the footpath willy nilly and vans likewise.

Lots of old and frail people around there with limited vision(cataracts etc) which means than impeded footpaths are more of a blight on their daily lives than would be the blockage of the road. Increasingly it is becoming common for people in Dublin to recognise only their own needs and not those of others. The law can be there as a limitation on their selfishness.

I regularly push broken down cars / crashed cars off the road.

Yes, it's footpath but I need to consider people's safety above all else and I have seen cars not paying attention plow into the back of stationary cars.

I'm not advocating just leaving them they're on their own but I feel it's the better of two choices

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭afatbollix

But this wasn't thrown up there wily nilly. It was a broken down car. Very different to someone who was going into a shop or what ever.

As has been said by Spook_ie in Law she is covered by:

Quote:
    (2) Save where otherwise expressly provided in these Regulations, a prohibition on the entry of a vehicle to a road or an area or the prohibition on the stopping or parking of a vehicle imposed by these Regulations shall not apply to—

Quote:
    ( d ) a vehicle which has been damaged or has broken down, during the period necessary to effect repairs to the vehicle or remove it from the location;

• Advertisement

Just to point out again. I walked past it on the path, went to centra and walked back up the other side. It was not blocked. For some reason someone is very sensitive about this and as can be seen from the photo, an octavia or mondeo or whatever it was would have blocked the road. I was there and I saw it.

So back to my main question.
    Could the woman get a parking ticket or similar based on a photo taken by a passerby/concerned citizen/busybody.

If it ever happened to me, I think I would lift the car bonnet to be sure to be sure. To many ejits around to jump to the wrong conclusions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

J

Could the woman get a parking ticket or similar based on a photo taken by a passerby/concerned citizen/busybody.

s.

In theory a parking ticket could be given. In reality it is probably unlikely if the car has left the scene. The photograph would not be admissible in evidence in court unless the person who took the photograph came to court and gave evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Just to point out again. I walked past it on the path, went to centra and walked back up the other side. It was not blocked. For some reason someone is very sensitive about this and as can be seen from the photo, an octavia or mondeo or whatever it was would have blocked the road. I was there and I saw it.

If it ever happened to me, I think I would lift the car bonnet to be sure to be sure. To many ejits around to jump to the wrong conclusions.

Absolutely agree with this

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Get Real

This. This nowadays is why we can't have nice things. A perfectly reasonable cause (broken down car) parked on double yellows and footpath. That most people, most, would understand its a reasonable, "it happens" scenario.

Yet you hope they were reported. Same with the passerby who took the photo. There's always, *always* someone who wants someone to be punished for doing the tiniest things. Or to be called out for mistakes, or actions or lack of actions.

I'm talking minor cases such as this, where there's a legitimate reason. Yet someone still wants to complain.

This is why, there is no "working it out" anymore. Everyone has to cover their arse and watch their back, in every walk of life, because of unreasonable, demanding people.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

In a similar situation when I was waiting for help after a tyre blew, I propped the spare against the damaged wheel..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

I attempted to put up a link to Google Streetview yesterday, to show that the road in question is no way wide enough to take cars two abreast (unless you're counting the parked cars at one side as one of them!). Mustn't have done it properly as the link is not here now, but the photo from OP shows that anyway.

Am thinking myself of an episode a few years ago where I was driving in Dublin in a car my wife used to own, and which was troublesome, to say the least. It began to badly overheat and I had to pull onto a footpath because there were no proper parking spaces anywhere near us, and driving on to look for one in those circumstances could do horrendous and costly damage to the car. We were stopped for maybe ten to fifteen minutes altogether while we got some large bottles of water from a shop we'd passed a short distance before, poured them into the car, and waited for it to cool down enough to drive again.

If I'd stopped on the road for that length of time, as somebody else suggests I should have done, there'd have been a tailback probably a couple of miles long. But by pulling onto the foothpath, there was no more than 15 to 20 people walking by, and they were able to get past anyway.

I know which of those things that I consider the lesser of two evils.

Does no one here carry a triangle?

A triangle symbolises a hazard. That is not an issue here

A triangle symbolises a hazard. That is not an issue here

you have broken down and are either blocking a Lane or the path, put the triangle out!

Advertisement