Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Extension to side of House

• 16-09-2020 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi there,

In early stages of looking to build an extension to the side of my 3 bed semi. I bought the property 8 years ago.At present there is a conservatory built there, but it is getting into disrepair and looking to build a proper extension which will hold a utility room, downstairs toilet etc. The conservatory was there when I bought the house, I reckon it is there 18/20 years. It comes within about 2 feet of the boundary wall, there is enough room to walk around the side to get to the back garden.I have been reading on some websites that you can't build an extension to any closer than 2m of the boundary. Is this correct, because I have seen some extension up the road from me which are certainly closer to their boundary wall than that.
    If I had stay back 2m from my boundary wall it wouldnt be worth my while to build extension as I only have about 3m in total to the side of the house.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,862 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Cork81 wrote: »
    Hi there,

In early stages of looking to build an extension to the side of my 3 bed semi. I bought the property 8 years ago.At present there is a conservatory built there, but it is getting into disrepair and looking to build a proper extension which will hold a utility room, downstairs toilet etc. The conservatory was there when I bought the house, I reckon it is there 18/20 years. It comes within about 2 feet of the boundary wall, there is enough room to walk around the side to get to the back garden.I have been reading on some websites that you can't build an extension to any closer than 2m of the boundary. Is this correct, because I have seen some extension up the road from me which are certainly closer to their boundary wall than that.
    If I had stay back 2m from my boundary wall it wouldnt be worth my while to build extension as I only have about 3m in total to the side of the house.

youve some things mixed up

1. the 2m restriction only happens if you want to claim 'exemption' from planning

2. the 2m rule only applies to first floor walls, not ground floor walls.

3. planning exemptions for extension only apply if the extension fully "to the rear"

4. as you are building to the side of your house, you are required to apply for planning permission

5. you can apply for planning permission for anything, thus why youve seen extensions built up to, and on, boundaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Cork81

Ok, great that clears that up. So 2m would only apply in an exemption scenario, and as you said as the extension is to the side I would have to apply for planning in any case. Good news thanks

• Subscribers Posts: 41,862 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Cork81 wrote: »
    Ok, great that clears that up. So 2m would only apply in an exemption scenario, and as you said as the extension is to the side I would have to apply for planning in any case. Good news thanks

and only at 1st floor level, not ground floor

Advertisement