Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice - RTA

• 11-09-2020 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Hi Guys
    Just a quick question, got stopped for a road traffic offence which i denied. the Garda asked for my license, went back to the car and came back and told me to be go on my way.....I called them back to ask what was happening now and they said "they'd see"......do the Gardai have to tell you there and then that you were being done for a RTO or should i be expecting the fine in the post?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

Maybe they did not like the look of you jib

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭thefridge2006

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    Maybe they did not like the look of you jib

cool man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭con747

Looks like a 4 am Tuesday alarm call for you soon, Ah well.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

You failed the ATTITUDE test. They take that very seriously.

con747 wrote: »
    Looks like a 4 am Tuesday alarm call for you soon, Ah well.

Whats that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

You deny but they say you did!!!

So what did you do or at least have a guess, they don't tend to pull one in unless warranted.

You will with get fcpn or hear nothing at all.

no there wasn't attitude or anything like that. Very little dialogue and when they gave the license back they didnt say anything just went to walk off. i had to call them back to find out if i got a fine or what.

DO they have to tell you they are issuing you with a fine when stopped like that?

Whats that?

I think you know what that is unless your 7 years old:rolleyes:

I think you know what that is unless your 7 years old:rolleyes:

Kicking in the door for a speeding offence? is that what you meant or are you still drinking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

You’re going to jail OP, expect the summons any time in the next 6 months.

Mod
    Don't be alarmist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,618 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

You may likely get penalty points and a fine in the post.

Guards don’t always mention that roadside as it can just create a load of hassle for them.

Kicking in the door for a speeding offence? is that what you meant or are you still drinking?

No I'm not drinking, nor am I speeding unlike some.:)

_Brian wrote: »
    You may likely get penalty points and a fine in the post.

Guards don’t always mention that roadside as it can just create a load of hassle for them.

Thanks for the genuine reply, i thought i was in after hours for a second. I just wanted to know whether or not they had to tell you at the time that they were going to do you or not

No I'm not drinking, nor am I speeding unlike some.:)

na instead you're on a message board on a sunny Friday morning writing nonsense in a legal section.....you stay cool man

Thanks for the genuine reply, i thought i was in after hours for a second. I just wanted to know whether or not they had to tell you at the time that they were going to do you or not

No they don't have to tell you....

I've got the ah sure it be grand or look we will see or nothing at all and received fine in the post....

No they don't have to tell you....

I've got the ah sure it be grand or look we will see or nothing at all and received fine in the post....

Cheers for the reply , I'll be looking out for the postman so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭Fian

Many minor road traffic offences require you to be cautioned within 14 days, this is in order that you will be in a position to defend yourself should you wish to contest the charge. The concern is that these things are so minor people might forget all about it withou having received a warning that they might be charged.

Did you receive a warning? It is not clear, you say that you were stopped for a road traffic offence.

If not you are unlikely to receive a summons. But that cannnot be guaranteed.

Would not be unusual for a Garda to leave someone in suspense as to whether a charge is to be brought even if a charge is not coming, on the basis that it would be "a lesson" and lead to more careful driving in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Fian wrote: »
    Many minor road traffic offences require you to be cautioned within 14 days, this is in order that you will be in a position to defend yourself should you wish to contest the charge. The concern is that these things are so minor people might forget all about it withou having received a warning that they might be charged.

Where are you getting 14 days caution from? There's no such requirement.

What was the offence? (Alleged) Breaking a red light? Driving without due care? It may help to let us know what the guard said. If it was something like that then it’s more in the space of their word against yours so they’re not going to spend the evening arguing with you- they stopped you, told you, you disagree - not much more to be done except issue whatever’s coming be it a fine, penalty points, summons etc

Fian wrote: »

Did you receive a warning? It is not clear, you say that you were stopped for a road traffic offence.

If not you are unlikely to receive a summons. But that cannnot be guaranteed.

Would not be unusual for a Garda to leave someone in suspense as to whether a charge is to be brought even if a charge is not coming, on the basis that it would be "a lesson" and lead to more careful driving in future.

Eh, what offences is that?

• Advertisement

update ...... got the fine in the post this morning.

The "we'll see " approach was just to prevent an argument i suspect.

update ...... got the fine in the post this morning.

The "we'll see " approach was just to prevent an argument i suspect.

Exactly....

Much easier life when they act all pally and run.

Advertisement