Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Autumn 2019 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Those LEDs are nice alright, but come a foggy period we'll miss the orange ones' better transmission.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,219 ✭✭✭pad199207

Garden flooded. Street outside partially flooded. 11mm in about 8-10mins I’d say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Just 0.8mm here in south Laois for the day (AWS). Interestingly, a savage downpour nearby around 6.45pm. The town side of the bridge was bone dry, the north side drenched. Such a difference over 15 metres! Cool at 12.2c presently after a high of 16.4c (AWS)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Dry and breezy all day here, incredibly missed all the showers, twice we missed while a neighbour about .5km across the field got soaked

Meath

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

pad199207 wrote: »
    Garden flooded. Street outside partially flooded. 11mm in about 8-10mins I’d say.

found a small lake here too between dwelling and gate. soon soaks in..

WET! WINDY! WILD!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Shower train in full effect
    Again
    Athenry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Monday and Tuesday look very cool at the moment looking at MT's forecast, with highs of only 10-12c.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,219 ✭✭✭pad199207

Miserable morning with moderate rain and breezy.

18mm since yesterday evening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭giveitholly

km79 wrote: »
    Shower train in full effect
    Again
    Athenry

18mm recorded in athenry in the space of 6 hours overnight according to the met Éireann forecast at 7.55 on radio 1

Just in from a lovely wild walk in between deluges; clear sky here then looking at the horizon to see vertical water falling... Now here too.

I rather enjoy the drama of this weather. No boredom, and ingenuity needed.
    west mayo offshore island

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

pad199207 wrote: »
    Miserable morning with moderate rain and breezy.

18mm since yesterday evening

:eek:

Just 0.2mm here in Arklow overnight at the other side of the mountains
    Ground is now bone dry,its breezy and the sun is out
    Just a couple of light passing showers yesterday too in an otherwise nice day
    Completely different world

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Lashing all morning in cork city but brightening up now. Expecting more showers during the day though

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭vladmydad

Absolutely horrendous week.

vladmydad wrote: »
    Absolutely horrendous week.

You mean the one just gone or the next one?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The past week has definitively been one of the wettest weeks of the year in some parts of the country. The next week looks no dryer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Some torrential downpours in the last hour in Castlebar.

Xenji wrote: »
    Some torrential downpours in the last hour in Castlebar.

Same out here.. my feet have been numb with cold all the day long too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Mortelaro wrote: »

Crazy.

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Yellow

Rainfall warning for Wexford, Cork, Kerry and Waterford

Heavy downpours of rain expected with totals 30-40mm with spot flooding likely especially near the coast.

Valid: 14:00 Sat, 28 Sept 2019 until 05:00 Sun, 29 Sept 2019

• Advertisement

Status Yellow - Rainfall warning for Donegal

Heavy rain this evening and early tonight with some spot flooding. Totals 20 to 30 mm

Valid: Friday 27 September 2019 20:00 to Saturday 28 September 2019 02:00

Newport holding pride of place this September for being the wettest station so far, with totals up to yesterday up to 143.1mm. Ballyhaise in second place at 131.0mm.

Big difference to the 34.9mm in Gurteen and 35.3mm at Roches Pt. Nationally, % figure is 89% of the average monthly total so far (this will rise before month's end) which ranges from 165% in Ballyhaise to just 41.5% at Roches Pt.

...Stats from Met Eireann.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Newport holding pride of place this September for being the wettest station so far, with totals up to yesterday up to 143.1mm. Ballyhaise in second place at 131.0mm.

Big difference to the 34.9mm in Gurteen and 35.3mm at Roches Pt. Nationally, % figure is 89% of the average monthly total so far (this will rise before month's end) which ranges from 165% in Ballyhaise to just 41.5% at Roches Pt.

...Stats from Met Eireann.

I’d say most if not all of that Roches Point was in the last week! September was very good up until then.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I dunno how your escaping with such good weather! Even London and the south-east of England has rotten weather.

In fairness it's been dry here at Dunshaughlin since this morning, but there were some very beefy showers overnight.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Flood worning issued for Cork city tomorrow and Sunday.

Cork City Council wish to advise that there will be a period of high astronomical Spring tides tomorrow Sat 28, Sun 29 & Mon 30 Sept. Risk of localised flooding in the City centre during high tides; ie South Terrace, Morrison's Quay, Fr Matthew Quay, Trinity Bridge, Union Quay, Wandesford Quay, Frenche's Quay, Crosses Green, Lavitt's Quay, Kyrl's Quay. High tide times of note are as follows: Sat high tides: morning 05:45 & evening 18:09. Sun high tides: morning 06.31 & evening 18.55. Mon high tides: morning 07.15 and evening 19.37. Traffic restrictions may be in place at these locations, during these times.

commiserations.. for once west coast is fine.. windy and deluges tonight though. stay safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭vladmydad

Graces7 wrote: »
    You mean the one just gone or the next one?

Both. I think we’re going to get the tail end of a storm next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Surprised how Calm and dry Meath is this evening and so far tonight. Can definitely feel how much cooler it is.

Just the 8.2mm last hour in athenry
    Badly needed if we are to avoid a drought next year when we have 2 dry weeks in spring

Just the 8.2mm last hour in athenry
    Badly needed if we are to avoid a drought next year when we have 2 dry weeks in spring

It's been very wet there, we get it. No need to keep on repeating it daily.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Gonzo wrote: »
    I dunno how your escaping with such good weather! Even London and the south-east of England has rotten weather.

In fairness it's been dry here at Dunshaughlin since this morning, but there were some very beefy showers overnight.

Just 42.8mm in September as of this minute
    Remember your trip looking out the plane window as you headed to spain and the clouds cleared in east Wicklow and wexford versus Cloudy Dublin airport and Dunshaughlin at the time?
    Expecting over 20mm or more tomorrow night here tho

MidMan25 wrote: »
    It's been very wet there, we get it. No need to keep on repeating it daily.

It keeps raining
    I am reporting the weather which is rain
    On a weather forum

It keeps raining
    I am reporting the weather which is rain
    On a weather forum

That's fine but less of the sarcastic moaning tone would be appreciated.

It has rained basically every day since July
    A lot of those days 10-20mm
    Record breaking August
    How do you want me to feel!

Won’t post here again for a while so.
    Don’t want to offend anyone by reporting the bad weather in my area
    Maybe everyone should do the same
    We can just look at the radar anyway
    Good times

Not meaning to derail, but does anyone else think that we have had much more torrential downpours over the last 10 years or so?

When I was a kid in the 80's it used to be frequent soft day misty weather. Now, more longer dry spells and then torrents.

Anybody feel the same?

It has been bad here but Athenry really has been getting the brunt of it these last couple of months to the point of being relentless.

New Moon

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Not meaning to derail, but does anyone else think that we have had much more torrential downpours over the last 10 years or so?

When I was a kid in the 80's it used to be frequent soft day misty weather. Now, more longer dry spells and then torrents.

Anybody feel the same?
    Worth looking into for sure.

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Worth looking into for sure.

Maybe syran might provide some insight?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Just 42.8mm in September as of this minute
    Remember your trip looking out the plane window as you headed to spain and the clouds cleared in east Wicklow and wexford versus Cloudy Dublin airport and Dunshaughlin at the time?
    Expecting over 20mm or more tomorrow night here tho

There's only been slightly more here in Glasnevin in September , so far. 47.5mm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Surprisingly cork airport is only reporting 46.5mm of rain so far this September, has felt like a lot more with very heavy bursts of rain including this morning. Roches point even less at 35.3 and Moore park at 43.6. That week of warm, dry weather must have really helped the situation though with the warning tomorrow the total will jump up a bit I think.

It has gone very ,very quiet after a loud, gusty and wet night. Not a sound or a whisper..... shhh!

west mayo offshore island

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭pauldry

29mm of rain Sligo town the night just gone

Wasnt expecting that

pauldry wrote: »
    29mm of rain Sligo town the night just gone

Wasnt expecting that

Place drenched here in Castlebar also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

igCorcaigh wrote: »

Anybody feel the same?

Personally I don't think so,the eighty's for me had plenty of thundery down pours and much more hail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭pauldry

Yes and the problem looking at the radar as Km said is that theres no coverage here so our 30mm didnt even show on it. Bad Floods down by Doorley Park.

• Advertisement

Status Yellow - Rainfall warning for Munster, Dublin, Carlow, Kildare, Kilkenny, Laois, Wexford, Wicklow and Offaly

Heavy rain at times with amounts of 25 to 35 mm possible and a risk of localized flooding.

Valid: Saturday 28 September 2019 17:00 to Sunday 29 September 2019 07:00

Status Yellow - Rainfall warning for Munster, Dublin, Carlow, Kildare, Kilkenny, Laois, Wexford, Wicklow and Offaly

Heavy rain at times with amounts of 25 to 35 mm possible and a risk of localized flooding.

Valid: Saturday 28 September 2019 17:00 to Sunday 29 September 2019 07:00

Going to be one or those horrible wet Autumn's I fear.

ZX7R wrote: »
    Going to be one or those horrible wet Autumn's I fear.

There are hints that the second half of October could be dryer, but the first half of October is looking like a bit of a washout. We can safely say we won't be seeing any more 20C and sunny days till next year.

Gonzo wrote: »
    There are hints that the second half of October could be dryer, but the first half of October is looking like a bit of a washout. We can safely say we won't be seeing any more 20C and sunny days till next year.

Yes the charts hinting of a better second half but they where hinting at a cold plunge into eastern America,but I fear the Atlantic is firing up and might not be easy to quite back down.
    It really reminds me of autumn 2017 similar start and strong looking wind storm looking likely at the end of the week

ZX7R wrote: »
    Yes the charts hinting of a better second half but they where hinting at a cold plunge into eastern America,but I fear the Atlantic is firing up and might not be easy to quite back down.
    It really reminds me of autumn 2017 similar start and strong looking wind storm looking likely at the end of the week

at one stage we were looking at a quiet final few days of September and first week of October, that's now been pushed to the second half of October, I think we know where this one is going! The Long range charts is also very grim indeed for those who want a cold and seasonal winter this year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement