Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off centre fireplace

• 17-09-2020 12:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Currently renovating a 1970's semi-D. The fireplace in the sitting room is off centre almost to one side of the chimney breast. I was going to take out the tiled surround an put in a new hearth, granite insert and mantelpiece as I would like to keep the chimney open and fit a stove.
    Problem is that i dont have enough space on that side for the surround. The edge of the mantelpiece is going to protrude further than the edge of the chimney breast.
    Anyone come across this or have suggestions on how to deal with it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,572 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

whats the black box on the side?
    anyway, you could just widen the c-breast on that side to make it work.
    Consider a wood pellet stove.
    That hearth does not pass the regs
    page 25
    https://www.housing.gov.ie/sites/default/files/migrated-files/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/FileDownLoad%2C37240%2Cen.pdf

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭shane b

whats the black box on the side?
    ]
    Not sure what you mean by the the black box. It may be a shadow or some random object under the desk in the photo as there is attached to the chimney breast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

shane b wrote: »
    Not sure what you mean by the the black box. It may be a shadow or some random object under the desk in the photo as there is attached to the chimney breast.

He means the built in shelf on the hearth I think.

Yeah i did initially think thats what he was referring to it, but it seemed a bit obvious. I suppose most fireplaces dont have a built in shelf so can see why it may confuse things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,572 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Yeah i did initially think thats what he was referring to it, but it seemed a bit obvious. I suppose most fireplaces dont have a built in shelf so can see why it may confuse things.
    Just innately curious:)

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

Just took a fireplace out with a friend recently - similar thing.

The reason it is to one side is because your neighbour's will be to the other side, so the builder could be more efficient with how much the chimney breast protrudes into your sitting room.
    In the one i took out recently, they had same problem as you when it was originally fitted, so they extended the chimney breast by about 200mm (i.e. into the alcove on the left of yours) - as mentioned above. Simple timber frame and covered with plaster board and skimmmed..
    Suited my friend as he was removing the fire to put in a insert for TV and fake fire etc actually building out from the chimney breast slightly - so he took back the extra space for his alcove.

Thanks, I thought that might be the reason for the offset all right, but wasnt sure. I Hadnt thought of using timber and plasterboard to extend the chimney breast, I assumed it would have to have been done with block to take the heat generated by the fire. Ill look into that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

Thanks, I thought that might be the reason for the offset all right, but wasnt sure. I Hadnt thought of using timber and plasterboard to extend the chimney breast, I assumed it would have to have been done with block to take the heat generated by the fire. Ill look into that.

Well actually - I'm not sure either - just saying that's what we took out. It would have been there 20 years at least.

Advertisement