Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a Second Subject

Options
  • 14-09-2020 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hi,
    Right now, I'm doing the PME but will only be qualified to teach history, as I have a Hdip in History.

My original degree was Law. Does anyone know if my law degree could be molded into teaching another subject? And if so, what subject.
    Is there a way to get extra credits if need be?

In the PME, I can choose another methodology module to do, along with my history one, but let's say I choose CSPE for my second module, that wouldn't allow me to teach it?

Please if you're answering don't get onto me about how I'll have no job prospects if I have just history as a subject. That seems to be every answer whenever I ask a question here. Lol

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭cupcake queen

Hollyworth wrote: »
    Hi,
    Right now, I'm doing the PME but will only be qualified to teach history, as I have a Hdip in History.

My original degree was Law. Does anyone know if my law degree could be molded into teaching another subject? And if so, what subject.

In the PME, I can choose another methodology module to do, along with my history one, but let's say I choose CSPE for my second module, that wouldn't allow me to teach it?

Please if you're answering don't get onto me about how I'll have no job prospects if I have just history as a subject. That seems to be every answer whenever I ask a question here. Lol

Definitely do the CSPE methodology. I know technically there are degree subjects required to teach it, but realistically it is given to teachers of a variety of subjects including history. I did the methodology in college and put it on my CV. I have had CSPE hours every year since alongside my own subjects. Some may argue that the methodology is not a requirement to teach it, which is true, but if you only have one subject you really have nothing to lose by gaining as much knowledge as possible in a second.

As for qualifying in another subject..I'm not sure what law would translate into, but there is always the option to add another subject in terms of a part time degree as you start teaching. I know several people who have done this. Off the top of my head DCU offer a distance option for teachers to upskill in different subjects and I'm sure other universities offer similar programmes

https://www.dcu.ie/courses/undergraduate/open-education/arts-single-module#collapse-prospectus-requirements

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Please if you're answering don't get onto me about how I'll have no job prospects if I have just history as a subject.

Ok.....I'll try not to say it.....but... :)

You could do English through DCU. I can't imagine Law molding into anything to be honest. Any chance you'd consider primary? I know a few people who have gone from law to primary and have been successful at getting jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Hollyworth

Thanks for your replies, guys. I have asked questions on here before under an old username and my current one and often get negative responses. Sometimes I feel like I'm trying to get into the Magicians circle when I ask teachers for advise on getting into teaching. Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

People aren't trying to be negative, they're being realistic. History on it's own is not enough, Law doesn't qualify you to teach any subject. If you keep asking the same question don't be too surprised if you're getting the same answers.

People aren't trying to be negative, they're being realistic. History on it's own is not enough, Law doesn't qualify you to teach any subject. If you keep asking the same question don't be too surprised if you're getting the same answers.

Look, I fully understand that, believe me. I suppose my point was that every time I ask a question it turns into people telling me that my one subject is not enough. Even if it's not what I asked, could be about the back to education allowance or whatever. I know how it all works at this stage. I just need to become qualified.

And look, people are just trying to be helpful I suppose.

I worked in schools in the UK for many years as a childhood counsellor, I've went on to study law, trained ladies football in schools over here, I just need the actual teaching qualification and I'll be fine. I know what my plan is.

Anyway, thanks for the responses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Hi,

I don't know about Law specifically. However, the 2017 degree requirements to be registered to teach each subject are a google away. They have no mention of the degree requirements to teach Politics & Society, presumably because that subject only entered LC in 2016.

Your Law degree might - it's a big might - have some use to teach that? You'd probably need to ring the Teaching Council. There aren't that many schools teaching it yet as it's new, but numbers are expected to grow.

More generally, it should take you two years of attendance at an evening BA to accrue the requisite 60 ECTs/degree credits (30 per annum). When I did it 7 years or so ago it entailed attendance in UCD on a Tuesday and Thursday of each week. You'll also need 10 credits from 1st year, which you should be able to attain by doing the relevant 1st year modules simultaneously in those two years. The exit qualification of the evening BA is known as the Higher Diploma in Arts in many if not all of the NUI colleges, so you need to ring the unis about that today/asap as the subjects they put on are subject to demand (my subject was nearly not put on that year).

Two years will fly, and then the qualification is under your belt. Irish, Home Ec, Maths & modern languages were considered the better options last I heard a few years ago, but there's a shortage in many subjects in Dublin. You'd be surprised at how few people are applying for jobs even in the so-called academic schools.

gaiscioch wrote: »
    I don't know about Law specifically. However, the 2017 degree requirements to be registered to teach each subject are a google away. They have no mention of the degree requirements to teach Politics & Society, presumably because that subject only entered LC in 2016.

Your Law degree might - it's a big might - have some use to teach that? You'd probably need to ring the Teaching Council. There aren't that many schools teaching it yet as it's new, but numbers are expected to grow.

More generally, it should take you two years of attendance at an evening BA to accrue the requisite 60 ECTs/degree credits (30 per annum). When I did it 7 years or so ago it entailed attendance in UCD on a Tuesday and Thursday of each week. You'll also need 10 credits from 1st year, which you should be able to attain by doing the relevant 1st year modules simultaneously in those two years. The exit qualification of the evening BA is known as the Higher Diploma in Arts in many if not all of the NUI colleges, so you need to ring the unis about that today/asap as the subjects they put on are subject to demand (my subject was nearly not put on that year).

Two years will fly, and then the qualification is under your belt. Irish, Home Ec, Maths & modern languages were considered the better options last I heard a few years ago, but there's a shortage in many subjects in Dublin. You'd be surprised at how few people are applying for jobs even in the so-called academic schools.

Thanks!

Advertisement