Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thoughts on New Build Plans

Options
  • 11-09-2020 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

I am currently looking at a new build which ticks most of the boxes. One thing I am worried about is that it is off the plans so I can't really visualise the rooms. We are looking to have the normal sitting room as well as another small living area in the kitchen. From the plans the kitchen looks to pretty narrow at 3450 and maybe an extra 100 at the dining end. I am just wondering if I could get an island, kitchen table and then space for couch and TV setup or would it all be a bit on top of each other. The study room looks like it would be too small for anything or than a study which would be fine as I will be WFH.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

fade out wrote: »
    I am currently looking at a new build which ticks most of the boxes. One thing I am worried about is that it is off the plans so I can't really visualise the rooms. We are looking to have the normal sitting room as well as another small living area in the kitchen. From the plans the kitchen looks to pretty narrow at 3450 and maybe an extra 100 at the dining end. I am just wondering if I could get an island, kitchen table and then space for couch and TV setup or would it all be a bit on top of each other. The study room looks like it would be too small for anything or than a study which would be fine as I will be WFH.

Again you put a kitchen table at the opposite end of the kitchen, I don’t honk a sofa, tv etc will fit.
    I think an island will even block off the space. A peninsula may work.

Study Size : hence why it’s a study :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,294 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Don’t think you’d fit all that in, island might be cramped in the space but a return coming out might work. You’ve 4.7 mts to get a table, couch and tv I don’t see that working.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,075 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The one comment is have is to get rid of that press at the top of the stairs.

A house that size deserves a sense of space and light going up the stairwell, and as it is your going up into a tight tunnell

sydthebeat wrote: »
    The one comment is have is to get rid of that press at the top of the stairs.

A house that size deserves a sense of space and light going up the stairwell, and as it is your going up into a tight tunnell

Open double height space would be fab.
    I feel the op is buying an estate so won’t get this option.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭fade out

Gumbo wrote: »
    Open double height space would be fab.
    I feel the op is buying an estate so won’t get this option.

Yes it is in an estate so won't have any say on structural changes. It is a big house regards sqm at nearly 156sqm but at the same time I'm not blown away with the living areas downstairs. It is something which is frustrating about a lot of new builds we have come across.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Your realistically talking peninsula and table. Cant see the couch and wall tv going in.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭gooseygander

Lose the en-suite to the small bedroom as it is close enough to the bathroom that splits the other two. No need for 3 bathrooms upstairs in this case imo

Lose the en-suite to the small bedroom as it is close enough to the bathroom that splits the other two. No need for 3 bathrooms upstairs in this case imo

Is this something that could be done I wonder? Since the house isn't built yet could I ask the builder to change the layout or are they required to stick entirely to the drawings?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

draught lobby
    not much room for decent wardrobes in bed 1, chimney mucks it up
    plant room is really under the stairs so wont amount to much
    study looks fine at 8+ feet sq

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭gooseygander

Is this something that could be done I wonder? Since the house isn't built yet could I ask the builder to change the layout or are they required to stick entirely to the drawings?

Easy to change and less work on builder. This should be a substantial cost save also, Make sure that cost save is handed on to you if you choose to go this route. It would open up potential for a nice step in wardrobe in both bedrooms.

• Advertisement

Easy to change and less work on builder. This should be a substantial cost save also, Make sure that cost save is handed on to you if you choose to go this route. It would open up potential for a nice step in wardrobe in both bedrooms.

As part of a multi unit development I think the builder will say no.

That is a good point I never would have thought of that. I think with the kitchen dimensions the way they are we might pass on it. While I'm sure it would make a lovely kitchen / dining area we would just like an extra living space especially when kids are bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,294 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

That is a good point I never would have thought of that. I think with the kitchen dimensions the way they are we might pass on it. While I'm sure it would make a lovely kitchen / dining area we would just like an extra living space especially when kids are bigger.

If you have access to a big space or even in someone’s house get a measuring tape and mark out room sizes as given on drawings. Put down masking tape. And then measure up things like sofas and tables. If you can’t visualise room sizes or can get into a show house this could help.

Advertisement