Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teaching English Online

• 07-05-2018 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi, I recently moved back home after teaching English in Vietnam for three and a half years.
    I want to start teaching English online. Does anyone know a good company and how much can I expect to be paid per hour?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ironcage

I'm looking for information on the same thing. Did you find out anything about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mariamangan

Did you get any satisfactory position since?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 bubblemassage

I'd recommend going on Online ESL Job Reviews group on FB and seeing what has the best wage currently. Covid really affected the job market and there was far more teachers online for a while there, which meant companies saw this as an opportunity to decrease wages across the board.

I taught with a company called Dada for a few years and began on about €18 an hour and then over the course of time it went down to about €14. At the same time I took a few shifts at Palfish which was about €12-16 based on how much you worked. Shifts earned points which would put you up into a higher earning bracket. Dada was computer based, but Palfish was on mobile/tablet. Palfish was much easier to teach on, more fun and kind of addictive. But Dada you had actual long term learning goals, really built up relationships with your kids, set homework - it was a far more traditional format.

Generally weekdays you would be teaching 10am-2pm for 30 min classes and you could work more or less 5am to 5pm on Sat/Sun. Students normally book you for 2 classes a week. Most places you have to work a minimum of 4 hours.

I taught online for 2 years and really liked it. When I ended the job with Dada I had had some students for the full 2 years... and there was tears. Still chat to the families on wechat occasionally. You'd be surprised how much you bond with your students!

Hope that helps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

Two younger relations, were finishing their degrees this summer, with the plan to take a year out and travel, they are both polyglots, but wanted to try teaching english abroad (brush up on or learn a new language) before coming home to do education postrgads and become teachers, one of them really wants to be a teacher (teaches piano, does some zoom classes during covid) the other wanted to try teaching english to see if it was her. The pandemic has scuppered their plans.

There seems to be a lot of ESOL or TEFL courses being advertised so as you can teach online are any of them up to much?

Do you need a tefl course to do the online thing? or if you have degree in english is it enough?

Advertisement