Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dehumidifier

Options
  • 27-10-2015 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭

Hi, looking to buy a dehumidifier and looking for recommendations. Small to medium size. Also can they be used in your room while you would be sleeping?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Did you see this? https://www.groupon.ie/deals/gg-groupon-goods-global-gmb-h-952-190
    Not sure if it is any good, or suitable for your requirements, just came across it and remembered seeing something on here about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭hatchman

This is what I bought a few years back never plugged it out since it only runs when it needs to and I haven't noticed a massive jump in electrical usage either. IMO it is brilliant well worth the money. I have underfloor heating and use this in the spare room beside the clothes horse no smell of damp clothes and no need for a tumble dryer.
    Can't post links just put www before below,

.ebac.com/dehumidifiers/shop/2650e-18-litre-white-dehumidifier-dd695wh-gb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭fiestaman

Right am I right in thinking I can use the dehumidifier like this... Bedroom windows has condensation in the mornings after sleep so plan is set timer on dehumidifier to come on at say 10am and let it run until it reaches the 30% level which hopefully will be by 8pm for baby's to go to bed. Should that stop the condensation or would it need to be running when your sleeping?

Anyone ??

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭hatchman

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 98 ✭✭GuitarMusic

fiestaman wrote: »
    Anyone ??

I think that you'll have trouble finding a dehumidifier on which you can pre-set a timer to come on at a certain time. Usually you need to turn the dehumidifier on yourself and then press the length of time you want the dehumidifier to run for.

Are you looking for a dehumidifier / moisture absorber just for condensation on the bedroom windows or something else as well?

Also does anyone in your property suffer from respiratory problems such as hay fever or asthma etc?

Are you looking to control just one room or several and what type of property is it?

Sorry for all the questions but I'd like to recommend the best possible dehumidifier for you. :)

Edit: I have a great graphic showing noise vs watts since you asked about noise in the bedroom. However the graphic displays my dehumidifiers website address so I am not sure if the mods would agree to me posting it here. Maybe I can PM it (if that is allowed?)

Right am I right in thinking I can use the dehumidifier like this... Bedroom windows has condensation in the mornings after sleep so plan is set timer on dehumidifier to come on at say 10am and let it run until it reaches the 30% level which hopefully will be by 8pm for baby's to go to bed. Should that stop the condensation or would it need to be running when your sleeping?

A 30% RH is very low. Maybe aim for 45%-50% as that should be dry enough. You dont want the air to get too dry.

If there's a baby in the house look for a dehumidifier with an anti-bacterial filter and ioniser as these provide a cleaner air.

Ideally you'd want the dehumidifier running before the condensation forms. If its light condensation maybe a unibond aero 360 would do? Otherwise just turn the dehumidifier on as soon as you wake up.

Sorry, I should have added this in the above post.

Thanks for the reply. Nobody suffering with asphma or the likes. We have a 1 Ye old and 2.5yr old. House is bunglow build 4 Ye ago, we have bonded bead in the cavity and insulated slabs on inside walls. 4" ducts as vents in each room but our room is the biggest room and north facing with an ensuite. I have the vent blocked to a small trickle because wind is a serious problem SW wind blows straight through every winter so result is condensation on Windows everymornig when temp drops below about 5 degrees outside. What I was wondering if I had a dehumidifier on as you say from the moment we get up and it cuts off itself when Hum is at say 45% will that do then for the night and allow us to sleep and all the vapour from sleeping won't condensate the windows as there won't be excessive moisture then coz dehumidifier brought moisture level to 45% during the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Thanks for the reply. Nobody suffering with asphma or the likes. We have a 1 Ye old and 2.5yr old. House is bunglow build 4 Ye ago, we have bonded bead in the cavity and insulated slabs on inside walls. 4" ducts as vents in each room but our room is the biggest room and north facing with an ensuite. I have the vent blocked to a small trickle because wind is a serious problem SW wind blows straight through every winter so result is condensation on Windows everymornig when temp drops below about 5 degrees outside. What I was wondering if I had a dehumidifier on as you say from the moment we get up and it cuts off itself when Hum is at say 45% will that do then for the night and allow us to sleep and all the vapour from sleeping won't condensate the windows as there won't be excessive moisture then coz dehumidifier brought moisture level to 45% during the day.

Buy a new outside vent. Go to a proper building providers. There is a exterior vent that is nearly 45 degrees from the wall. It stops wind getting in the internal vent. Its like a one side roof. The angle is so great the wind cant get in, but air can get out. If you had a proper vent. You would have no issue with condensation.

newacc2015 wrote: »
    Buy a new outside vent. Go to a proper building providers. There is a exterior vent that is nearly 45 degrees from the wall. It stops wind getting in the internal vent. Its like a one side roof. The angle is so great the wind cant get in, but air can get out. If you had a proper vent. You would have no issue with condensation.

Hi, the vent is out of the question, it's at the wrong side of the house and it's noise more than wind, I know the vent your on about and I got one and it didn't work, I'm 255mtr above sea level so the wind is serious everyday and blows straight into my SW facing vent. I take on board it's ventilation your hinting at and you are probably right so I'm considering reboreing a new vent in either the N or E facing wall which the wind rarely comes from those directions. OR put trickle vents in my uPVC window but not sure I want to do that, they sound great in theory but do I want them??? I'm not sure.

• Advertisement

Personally I turn my dehumidifier on for an hour or so first thing in the morning then I also turn it on for an hour or two before the kids go to bed.

I have a Meaco DD8L which has an ioniser so gets rid of most of the uglies in the air providing for better relaxation and easier breathing for my kids.

There is still condensation on the windows but its not as bad as it would be without the dehumidifier.

There's a bunch of info if you see the link in my profile and if you have any more questions feel free to ask away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Ruby84

would a dehumidifier be recommended for a whole house problem. condensation on all windows and damp/mould on walls etc... :-/

Ruby84 wrote: »
    would a dehumidifier be recommended for a whole house problem. condensation on all windows and damp/mould on walls etc... :-/
    Probably better to investigate the heating & ventilation first, the volume of the house would be too large for most dehumidifiers.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Woodbrook80

There is so many on the market I just want one that has a laundry function and good for someone with asthma and a baby in could you tell me at least a brand

Probably better to investigate the heating & ventilation first, the volume of the house would be too large for most dehumidifiers.

I'd like to investigate that but it seems expensive, at my wits end with the damp and mould problem at the mo, not sure where to even start trying to sort it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,213 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Ruby84 wrote: »
    I'd like to investigate that but it seems expensive, at my wits end with the damp and mould problem at the mo, not sure where to even start trying to sort it

have u extractor fans that work effectively and are used in all bathrooms?
    have u extractor fans that work effectively and are used in all kitchens?
    have u a number dry that vents inside the house?
    are u drying clothes on radiators, etc in the house?
    are the wall vents in all rooms open and clear of debris?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

have u extractor fans that work effectively and are used in all bathrooms?
    have u extractor fans that work effectively and are used in all kitchens?
    have u a number dry that vents inside the house?
    are u drying clothes on radiators, etc in the house?
    are the wall vents in all rooms open and clear of debris?

have extractor fan in bathroom and kitchen, don't know if they are working efficiently, havent had them checked out?
    whats a 'number dry'?
    dont try clothes on rads but tumble dryer doesnt have an extractor air thing, it sends all to a water tray in the bottom of it that i then empty between uses.
    dont have wall vents in rooms, house was built in the 70s. There's one vent in the hall but i dont know if its clear

• Registered Users Posts: 12,213 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

thanks, meant tumbler:)
    those ones do build up the humidity a bit.

run all the fans and hold a tissue against them, should be sucked firm against grill.

no vents ion wroom, especially bed rooms is an issue

whats the human load in the house and how many bedrooms. [ e.g. there is a house in our estate with 4 bedrooms and 17 women and children, hugh damp issues

u need to get the rooms vented, especially bedrooms, google the data on moisture expelled by sleeping...

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

Thank you Galway Music. That is the most comprehensive and informative reply I have ever seen on Boards. I took the liberty of finding your website, through your personal information and think you deserve an honary doctorate in dehumidifierology. Míle Buíochas.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 parentissimo

Anyone knows any dehumidifier expert that can come over to my place and advise for the best Dehumidifier for my conservatory? I am looking for something that can be held against the wall or the cealing without an external unit. Something that can also heat up the room when needed.

I am happy to pay for the consultation.

• Advertisement
Advertisement