Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moylussa Height?

Options
  • 23-08-2020 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,662 ✭✭✭✭

We walked up Moylussa today, took the boardwalk to the summit stone at '1748' feet (532m)
    The only problem was that View Ranger was only showing 526m at that point.
    Other climbers' accounts on the web have talked about following the bog road over to what looks like a higher peak.
    So we did.
    Well actually we only followed the bog road on the way back.
    On the way over we took another route following some vehicle tracks/flattened grass that quickly turned into the worst bog slog we've done this year (and that's after doing Arderin earlier today and Sawel/Trostan last Saturday).
    Anyways, after 15 minutes of trudge, ViewRanger was showing 527m.
    When we got back home, I checked on Google Earth and the highest point showing anywhere on the plateau is 528m ( bit to the south of the summit stone)
    So is GPS lying or is Moylussa sinking?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭SOPHIE THE DOG

I wouldn't be complaining about a difference between 526/7/8m and 532m!
    Did you put your GPS on the ground when you took the readings?..........

• Registered Users Posts: 13,662 ✭✭✭✭josip

I wouldn't be complaining about a difference between 526/7/8m and 532m!
    Did you put your GPS on the ground when you took the readings?..........

I wanted to get back for the Champions League final and would have been perfectly happy to turn back at the 526m stone. :)

However the 10 year old smelled a rat because he's used to trig points and asked for the phone with ViewRanger so that he could check if this stone really was the high point.
    It was he who insisted on the wet walk for the 1m gain that he found further along the plateau.

I've read reports from people who climbed Moylussa and went looking for the highpoint. They claimed to have found 532m on View Ranger at the exact spot where we could only find 527m.

Advertisement