Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone around Limk area play a Rickenbacker bass?

Options
  • 18-05-2020 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭

Bit of a mad question. If and when I can justify shelling out the money it costs for a Rickenbacker bass, I'd love to try one in the flesh, which seems nigh on impossible here. Add in the fact that different models from different years can have different neck profiles, so could be a tall order either way.
    It's the 4003s I'd like to look at eventually but it's a lot of money to shell out so not going to order over the internet!
    Other option is Thomann and a cheap flight sometime in the future!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

X-Music in Dublin lists 4003s on their website so I presume they have them in store.
    They're obviously closed these days but once the world starts to return to normal it may be worth giving them a bell and seeing if you can get out there to try one.

I know it's not very local but if you're not familiar with them, they're just off the N7 so not too bad a journey from Limerick. Worth it to try one before dropping €€€€€

• Registered Users Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

It is a lot of money to be shelling out for something you haven't tried first - and getting to play it first is obviously the best option - but if it helps and all else fails, Thomann pay for return shipping in the first 14 days, so you could try it and return it promptly if you weren't happy and not be out of pocket.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/faq_question_what_happens_if_i_am_not_satisfied_do_i_have_to_bear_the_return_shipping_costs.html

I've never played a Rickenbacker bass myself (I'd love to), and from what I hear, they're not for everyone. But the people that like them love them.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

KeithTS wrote: »
    X-Music in Dublin lists 4003s on their website so I presume they have them in store.
    They're obviously closed these days but once the world starts to return to normal it may be worth giving them a bell and seeing if you can get out there to try one.

I know it's not very local but if you're not familiar with them, they're just off the N7 so not too bad a journey from Limerick. Worth it to try one before dropping €€€€€

Haven't been up to X Music in years but will keep it in mind. Still not sure if I can justify paying the money for one. They seem to be bloody too dear!

It is a lot of money to be shelling out for something you haven't tried first - and getting to play it first is obviously the best option - but if it helps and all else fails, Thomann pay for return shipping in the first 14 days, so you could try it and return it promptly if you weren't happy and not be out of pocket.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/faq_question_what_happens_if_i_am_not_satisfied_do_i_have_to_bear_the_return_shipping_costs.html

I've never played a Rickenbacker bass myself (I'd love to), and from what I hear, they're not for everyone. But the people that like them love them.

Still don't know, even after playing it, if I'd shell out the cash....

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

Granadino wrote: »
    Still don't know, even after playing it, if I'd shell out the cash....

They're a beautiful looking instrument and as far as sound goes, they're more versatile than people give them credit for. Really depends on what style you play or want it for I guess. What has you focused on the 4003 seeing as you haven't played one?

• Advertisement

KeithTS wrote: »
    They're a beautiful looking instrument and as far as sound goes, they're more versatile than people give them credit for. Really depends on what style you play or want it for I guess. What has you focused on the 4003 seeing as you haven't played one?

While I've been a guitar player for around 30 yrs, initially I also dabbled in bass, and played bass on and off over the years in a few bands. Getting back into the bass again, and if we can ever gig again, I'd like to play bass.

Even while playing guitar, I always thought the Ric 4003 was the dogs bollix, looked great and sounded great.

Advertisement