Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Force Restart Issues

Options
  • 18-09-2020 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Not sure if any of you have had this problem before but whenever I leave my PC idle when playing Destiny 2, it seems to force restart itself. Only started happening a few days ago too.

I’ve checked event viewer, nothing detailed there just saying it restarted after an unexpected error. It sometimes happens too when I leave my PC idle with only chrome/steam but that doesn’t happen too often.. The issues with Destiny 2 are consistent and happens all the time when I leave it idle. Tested Warzone too and that seems fine.

When it reboots, there’s no BSOD just a “checking disk” message.

What I’ve done so far: updated gpu drivers, malware scan, cccleaner to fix registry files.

Anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Would be greatly appreciated.

Specs:
    R5 3600
    MSI 2070 super x trio
    16GB DDR4 3200MHz
    Corsair TX650M PSU

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

My first thought is power supply.

It's simply interrupting the power, so the OS never catches the error. Plus the frequency of it scales with power demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

This is where having a BMC (and thus a SEL) is so handy :p

Do stress testing with Furmark and Linpack/P95 but Spear is probably correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Spear wrote: »
    My first thought is power supply.

It's simply interrupting the power, so the OS never catches the error. Plus the frequency of it scales with power demand.

I was thinking that alright, only upgraded the whole system there in February. Warranty should cover this right? Also it doesn’t happen in other games, just Destiny 2 so it’s a bit strange.

Will run a stress test later on as per ED E.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

memtest as well

memtest as well

Oh yes, forgot to throw in that. I already tested the RAM with the Windows memory diagnostic tool and it returned nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

PSU I would say.

A good test is to open some CAD or 3D modeling software and try to move a model around really fast or zoom in and out quickly. Should cause a spike in GPU power draw which will knock out the PSU if it is indeed the issue.

Yeah, think it’s the PSU. Was using it again tonight and it forced reboot during normal browsing and playing games. Have RMA’d it with Corsair so hopefully won’t take too long to go through the process.

Does a PSU failing affect any other parts btw? Just so I know not to use it or to plug everything out now.

Had a quick google there and there’s a software called OCCT that can stress test my PSU too.. might give that a whack tomorrow morning before I start removing things, but only if running the stress test won’t damage other components.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

A PSU failing could damage other components right enough. I'd RMA it and elimiate it that way.

A PSU failing could damage other components right enough. I'd RMA it and elimiate it that way.

Thanks. I’ll avoid doing that so. I’ll pull it all out and try the paper clip test to be certain that it’s the PSU and not the motherboard or gpu.

Thanks. I’ll avoid doing that so. I’ll pull it all out and try the paper clip test to be certain that it’s the PSU and not the motherboard or gpu.

What's a paperclip test?

• Advertisement

I'm not sure how that diagnoses anything other than the PSU is providing power to the PC.

I'm not sure how that diagnoses anything other than the PSU is providing power to the PC.

Yeah, I’m not too sure either. Just from my own research there’s a few people recommending that, and Corsair is the brand of the PSU I have, so probably no harm in doing it for RMA purposes. I would’ve stress tested but don’t want to risk frying the rest of the components, so at least this one is just testing the PSU.

Yeah, PSU has passed that paper clip test. Not entirely sure what to do now? Might plug the PC into onboard graphics and see if that’s any difference.

Don’t have a multimeter around either so can’t test it with that, which would probably be the defining test for the PSU.

Ran a stress test with OCCT as I’m out of ideas, that crashed within 8 minutes, so safe to assume it’s got to be the PSU. Might call in to a local pc shop and see if they’ve a multimeter to test my PSU just to be certain.

Advertisement