Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Warranty - waiting 8 months.

Options
  • 10-05-2021 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

Hi,

I purchased a cooker with a 2 year warranty. After 1 year and 9 months the cooker stopped working. Contacted the company and they said they'd send out an engineer.

That was 8 months ago and I have still not had a engineer out, or resolution.

Going back a step...after 5 months of me following up with emails and phonecalls, they informed me that they were going to give me a brand new replacement oven. The lady said that they had stock of the oven in the UK, but that she couldn't see the Irish stock on her system but if it wasn't in stock there they would ship it over for me, and take away my broken oven.

A week or so later I got a notification from a delivery company that they would be delivering something from the company. I disconnected my oven and brought it out to the front door. The delivery arrived but it wasn't an oven, just a part for an oven, and an inovice. No other information or explanation. So I phoned the company again.

I was now informed that they couldn't deliver the new oven over to me because the courier they use has stopped delivering to the rep of Ireland since Brexit, and that someone was supposed to phone me to tell me.
    They also informed me that they wanted me to find an engineer myself, get him to complete the work and fill in an invoice for the company, and then pay him myself and the company would reimburse me.

I communicated my dissatisfaction, and stated that the very least they could do in this change of plan would be to find the engineer themselves and pay them directly. And they eventually agreed to this.

But here I am now in the 8th month since first contact about the problem and still nothing. I have spent approx 50-60 euro on phonecalls as they keep saying they'll ring me when they have an update, but yet never do and I have to ring them, and it's a company based in the UK so they are charged as international calls. The customer service is of a very low standard. I've been told to only ring as "they don't check their emails". And I've requested to speak to a manager countless times without success.

The latest is that an engineer has been booked to do the job and will be in touch soon. But I have also written to them in regard to the breach of warranty stating that I would like one of the following 3 outcomes:
    1. A replacement oven as promised 3 months ago(there are delivery companies who deliver from UK to ire, but it's expensive).
    2. To be fully reimbursed for the cost of the oven
    3. Get the engineer to fix the oven, and reimburse me 50% of the original cost for of the oven.

Should I just take it on the chin and wait for the engineer to come and leave it be?
    Or if I don't get a satisfactory answer to the 3 suggested outcomes set out above, should I go down the small claims court route?

If it's small claims should I let the company know that I don't want the engineer to come while the legal route is ongoing?

Sorry it's a bit long-winded. Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Who did you buy the cooker from, was it a retailer here?

If so, thats who your contract is with so I'd be chasing them rather than someone on the end of the phone in the UK.

Under consumer law they have to repair, replace or refund.

Unfortunately you are probably outside the window now to do a chargback with your bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Online or shop purchase?

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭TheHopeful

It was an online purchase from a UK based retailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

TheHopeful wrote: »
    It was an online purchase from a UK based retailer.

Say good bye
    As the UK is no longer a member of the EU, we no longer share the same EU consumer protection laws as we did before Brexit

https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/shopping/brexit/

Advertisement