Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tracker, moving house

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Darc19 wrote: »
    Calculation has changed again.

Avant are now offering 2.25% 10 year fixed with current roll off rate of 2.5%

This is possiblity a better option.

To give an idea of cost, €300,000 over 20 years on LTV of 70% will cost €1553 per month. Fixed for 10 years.

I'm assuming 70% LTV and 20 years as if you have a tracker, you have had current mortgage for about 15 years, so a 20year term is probably the best option.

Finance Ireland have a 20 year fixed rate of 2.75% giving monthly payments of €1626 and never ever changing.

We’ve seen that alright. We may end up with ltv slighlyu over 70%, depends on what we get for the house vs purchase price, it’s around the 70 but might be higher so then the 2.25/2.75 etc.

We’ve talked to the broker, still slightly undecided but leaning even more at sticking to Tsb. We were torn between a 20 or 25 year loan, our current one is 20 and obviously 25 gives us lower monthly (we really don’t want to over stretch monthly and impact quality of life day to day). But we’ve realised that if we keep the tracker effectively half the mortgage would be 20 years as that’s what’s left on the tracker, and half at 25. And if we forgo cashback from Tsb which we don’t overly need, then we’d get their 4 year fixed 2,25. So for now the whole thing is 2.25.

We had hoped to be retiring in 20 years, so having half the mortgage gone then and the payments dropping in half for the last 5 years would be a good backup. At that stage we may even be able to use retirement lump
    Sums to pay off the final 5 years.

If we go for Avant or refinance Ireland we’re looking at longer fixed, but also the full loan at 25 years and probably less chance of retiring at the 20 year mark.

I presume if we fix now for 4 years, and after that if there are better products or we’re in a better position to reduce our term we could then look at switching and moving off the tracker to a longer fixed at that stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

I think you have nothing to lose sticking with PTSB for the next 4 years and then you can look at options with a probable LTV then of under 60%

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Phishnet wrote: »
    Hi Darc19,

We now have the highest mortgage interest rates in the Eurozone. The relatively slow rate of repossession probably saved a good proportion the 50,000 or more families who were overcharged on their mortgage payments due to the Banks unreasonably removing them from their Tracker Mortgages.

We all know that the slow rate of possession is a component part of the high mortgage lending rates we pay in this Country, but still does not account for the exceedingly high interest rates the banks charge! Other factors include that banks operating in Ireland are required to keep higher reserve capital ratios on each mortgage they lend out than their European counterparts. This is as a result of ECB requirements. The ECB found that Banks operating in Ireland lent recklessly, particularly to commercial borrowers. This is the price we, as Irish citizens, pay for the conduct of the banks. Let’s give a balanced factual view and not a view that is skewed from the bank’s perspective.

The higher capital requirement is an extra burden, but it is the strategic defaulters who pay not a cent of their mortgage that are costing millions.

There are huge protections for mortgage holders, so anyone with a genuine issue and pays something will always and should always be able to work things out.

But strategic defaulters number in excess of 25,000 mortgage holders (some estimates are over 40,000)

Remember a strategic defaulter is one that does not pay ANYTHING and does not engage and enjoys free living complements of variable and fixed rate mortgage holders.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 pma555

Hi All,

If anybody can give me advice on whether to keep my tracker it would be much appreciated. My position is this...

I have a tracker mortgage currently with PTSB at 1.1 percent, there is 220k left on the mortgage, over 20 years. We are moving house and need another 195k.

PTSB will give me a tracker portability at 2.1 % then 2.5% on the new part of the mortgage with no cash back, 3yr fixed. Or 3yr fixed with a 2.5 % rate with 8k cashback if we give up the tracker. The guy then back tracked and mentioned I could get cash back on the 195k part of the mortgage of about 4k

I am unsure if I am better off leaving the tracker and going with ICS 2.35%, Avant or giving up the tracker and staying with ptsb and taking the 8k cashback and mortgage at 2.5% .  

I seen ICS though had lower rates 2.35%. So I am confused as to what to do?  

if i stay with the tracker, What happens if PTSB rates are not the most competitive on the market after 3yrs fixed and I am tied to them because of the tracker. Could it be a case where I end up leaving them anyway to get a lower rate and miss out on the 8K cash back. Hard to know as they say never to give up a tracker, what happens if interest rates increase alot, then it would be worth keeping. Is that going to happen? Where is the crystal ball?

Any help on this would be great.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,098 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

• Advertisement
Advertisement