Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

*Ceramic* BBQ/Grilling

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

mloc123 wrote: »
    Smoked some top rump roast today, it cooked quicker than I had expected... Only brought it up to 135f tho. I am used to 7-8hr pork shoulders.

It is wrapped now, and I will slice some in an hour and see the results.

Good result

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

mloc123 wrote: »
    Good result

Looks pretty tasty to me.

Looks pretty tasty to me.

Yup, juicy and tender... But made an arse of the time so it was ready about 3 hours to early. Gonna have to heat some for dinner now in a while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭redved

Apologies, posted this also in the charcoal thread. Any justification for the price difference between the KJ classic 1 and 2, interested in any views on this, thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

The three main things that I can think of are:

Air lift hinge - much easier to open the lid
    Different gasket - supposedly more hard wearing
    Different top vent - the kontrol tower stays in position when you open the lid whereas the daisy wheel can loss its setting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭circular flexing

The three main things that I can think of are:

Air lift hinge - much easier to open the lid
    Different gasket - supposedly more hard wearing
    Different top vent - the kontrol tower stays in position when you open the lid whereas the daisy wheel can loss its setting

You can replace the daisy wheel with the kontrol tower on the classic 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Did anyone end up getting a small ceramic bbq in Lidl last year? If so how has it held up?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I've had a large Big Green Egg for about 8-9 years now.

It's had a few aftermarket bits and pieces over the years and it's due a few more changes now, thought I'd summarise them.

- The ceramic conveggtor was replaced with a cast iron plate setter. The cast iron is a lot easier to manage in and out and has a high level of durability. Can't recall but I think my ceramic one broke, but it's quite a while ago.

- Chimney cap was repaced with the stainless steel Smokeware chimney cap. No more rain going down through the daisy wheel of the regular chimney cap, but more importantly added anti corrosion.

I did a bit of a look over it today and decided to order -

- Replacement heavy grill grate from Smokeware, although this wasn't an essential.

- Replacement charcoal grate for the base... The one that came is cracked and flaking and feels like it is about to collapse. I've ordered a replacement fishbones charcoal grate from Smokeware which is meant to have the added benefit of reducing the likelihood of ash clogging up the holes.

The gasket needs to be replaced again also, but that's to be expected this far in.

Overall happy enough. I

If I could go back I would not have set the Egg into a wooden table, I would have probably just gone for some kind of stainless steel trestle type effort.

If I could go back I would not have set the Egg into a wooden table, I would have probably just gone for some kind of stainless steel trestle type effort.

Is the table starting to rot ?
    Im going to make or have made a cover for my oven/table before next winter.

https://clonmelcovers.ie/gallery/leisure/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 264 ✭✭TheRef

I've had a large Big Green Egg for about 8-9 years now.

It's had a few aftermarket bits and pieces over the years and it's due a few more changes now, thought I'd summarise them.

- The ceramic conveggtor was replaced with a cast iron plate setter. The cast iron is a lot easier to manage in and out and has a high level of durability. Can't recall but I think my ceramic one broke, but it's quite a while ago.

- Chimney cap was repaced with the stainless steel Smokeware chimney cap. No more rain going down through the daisy wheel of the regular chimney cap, but more importantly added anti corrosion.

I did a bit of a look over it today and decided to order -

- Replacement heavy grill grate from Smokeware, although this wasn't an essential.

- Replacement charcoal grate for the base... The one that came is cracked and flaking and feels like it is about to collapse. I've ordered a replacement fishbones charcoal grate from Smokeware which is meant to have the added benefit of reducing the likelihood of ash clogging up the holes.

The gasket needs to be replaced again also, but that's to be expected this far in.

Overall happy enough. I

Is Smokeware the US stockist?
    How much is shipping/taxes to Ireland?

• Advertisement

Is the table starting to rot ?
    Im going to make or have made a cover for my oven/table before next winter.

https://clonmelcovers.ie/gallery/leisure/

Basically, weather getting to it, yes.

I oiled it the first few years and went through phases of covering it but at the end of the day it’s been eight years and it was probably always going to have a lifespan.

I’m sure I’ll get another four out of it!

TheRef wrote: »
    Is Smokeware the US stockist?
    How much is shipping/taxes to Ireland?

Smokeware is US based but they do have retailers abroad, including the UK.

In this instance I ordered direct though and the shipping was $66. It’s already on its way, pretty good service.

I rarely get hit for import duty / tax coming from the US but maybe this time I will be.

• Administrators Posts: 54,090 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Ordered a new Kamado off https://www.kamadoluna.com/ . Will report back once it arrives!

Brother in law ordered one off them a few weeks ago and was very impressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

awec wrote: »
    Ordered a new Kamado off https://www.kamadoluna.com/ . Will report back once it arrives!

Brother in law ordered one off them a few weeks ago and was very impressed.

I've just done the same!

I've just done the same!

Ordered a 24" on Sunday and it arrived this morning. Very quick service! Came on a pallet and weighs a tonne, I have absolutely no hope of lifting it by myself.

Depending on access to your gaff you may need to borrow a few helpers to get it into the garden!

Mines still sitting in the boxes, will let you know once I get it together. Also ordered a petromax cast iron chicken stand with it and a cast iron full grill.

Put it together this afternoon, very happy with it. Quality seems very good, it's good and sturdy.

Smokeware order out for delivery today. Fast, in fairness.

Would something like these be suitable as a starter for a Kamado? They say odourless and non toxic.

Put it together this afternoon, very happy with it. Quality seems very good, it's good and sturdy.

Mine just arrived this morning, will assemble it this evening. It's biiig.

Would something like these be suitable as a starter for a Kamado? They say odourless and non toxic.

They look like they should be fine.

I use these and find them spot on:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Natural-Eco-Wood-Firelighters-Kindling/dp/B07FF436N5?ref_=ast_sto_dp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Try this....twist/fold up some kitchen paper, pour a good bit of cooking oil over the kitchen paper to get it good and soaked with the oil. Light it and it will keep lighting for a good while. no odor or chemicals...boom

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

Ordered a 24" on Sunday and it arrived this morning. Very quick service! Came on a pallet and weighs a tonne, I have absolutely no hope of lifting it by myself.

Depending on access to your gaff you may need to borrow a few helpers to get it into the garden!

Mines still sitting in the boxes, will let you know once I get it together. Also ordered a petromax cast iron chicken stand with it and a cast iron full grill.

Still waiting for my Bono from Higgins since February. Is yours a Luna? thinking about cancelling at this stage, as I'm sure they are nearly identical

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    Try this....twist/fold up some kitchen paper, pour a good bit of cooking oil over the kitchen paper to get it good and soaked with the oil. Light it and it will keep lighting for a good while. no odor or chemicals...boom

I read this on here somewhere... Buy a heatgun. It is so much easier for lighting a kamado.

Still waiting for my Bono from Higgins since February. Is yours a Luna? thinking about cancelling at this stage, as I'm sure they are nearly identical

Yea mine is a Luna.

My brother in law up north ordered his on Saturday afternoon and they delivered it to him Saturday evening. :eek:

I think aside from the Kamado Joes they are all probably almost identical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Yea mine is a Luna.

My brother in law up north ordered his on Saturday afternoon and they delivered it to him Saturday evening. :eek:

I think aside from the Kamado Joes they are all probably almost identical.

Wow! Same day delivery?! Class. I’m still waiting on my kamado bono.

Wow! Same day delivery?! Class. I’m still waiting on my kamado bono.

You and me both, brother

So what has everyone been cooking? I haven’t ventured beyond ribs (pork and beef) yet on the low and slow side of things but think I need to expand my menu before everyone gets bored of it!

I’m loving it so far, really glad I made the purchase.

So what has everyone been cooking? I haven’t ventured beyond ribs (pork and beef) yet on the low and slow side of things but think I need to expand my menu before everyone gets bored of it!

Gonna try smoke a chicken this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭foodaholic

First cook was a Jacobs ladder - I've a Kamado Joe so used the sloroller
    Its brillant. Once I got it to temp it stayed stable the whole cook

Ive done a few spatchcocked chickens - very tasty

But by far my favourite so far is chicken shawarma

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭circular flexing

I have made steak (reverse searing is amazing), all kinds of pork, brisket, few types of chicken (beer can method was the favourite). Probably going to smoke a turkey soon.

Out of all them, brisket was the best. Only problem was there was a lot of it, so it took a while to eat through it all and we did get bored of it. I made Cuban pork shoulder and used it for cubano sandwiches - that was amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭blue note

foodaholic wrote: »

But by far my favourite so far is chicken shawarma

Have you a recipe for this?

I have made steak (reverse searing is amazing), all kinds of pork, brisket, few types of chicken (beer can method was the favourite). Probably going to smoke a turkey soon.

Out of all them, brisket was the best. Only problem was there was a lot of it, so it took a while to eat through it all and we did get bored of it. I made Cuban pork shoulder and used it for cubano sandwiches - that was amazing.

Recipes please!! :)

I cooked a rake of stuff on my new Luna yesterday. Smoked pork rack and a whole chicken, then a load of chicken wings and some boerewors, and then cranked the heat up to finish the wings, do a few burgers, grilled mushrooms etc.

Very impressed by how quickly it gets up to temp, how well it holds temps, and how it self-cleans after you’re done. Very economical on charcoal too.

I was just using the built-in thermometer to keep an eye on temperature, there were a couple of spikes and the smoked meats ended up slightly over, but just a matter of getting the knack of the vents. Will be using probes to monitor temps for future cooks anyway.

TOP TIP for those with the mini ceramic BBQs- you really need to start with fresh good large high heat coals every time- clear out the grate totally first of ALL small coals- the smaller size Kamados are a lot less forgiving in terms of achieving high heat levels so everything has to be bang on- that’s my experience anyways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭hargo

Picked up a kamado bono minimo 40cm in Lithunanian shop in Drogheda yesterday for my daughter. Cooked up a dozen chicken thighs with a small piece of oak in the coals. I was very impressed with the control of heat and the finished chicken was fantastic.
    I see that Lidl were selling the smaller grills in the UK on Thursday last for £99 so maybe they will be selling here in the next few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

My kamado is landing tomorrow. Then customs and I'll have it next week. Problem is that I'm redoing my patio next week, so the box will stay unopened for an extra 7 days. Talk about bad timing! At least I will be able to do its maiden cook on a virgin patio. :D

Doing a couple of racks of ribs on the Kamado today, this time with a proper temperature probe (‘inkbird’ brand off Amazon, connects to your phone via Bluetooth so you can monitor from the couch!). Temperature holding incredibly steady once the vents are dialled in. Big improvement over my old ProQ smoker.

Also highly recommend Franklin BBQ for those looking to understand the theory behind wood / smoke, and tips on rubs, prepping, cooking, serving etc. He uses offset smokers rather than kamado, but otherwise lots of useful info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭hargo

Also highly recommend Franklin BBQ for those looking to understand the theory behind wood / smoke, and tips on rubs, prepping, cooking, serving etc. He uses offset smokers rather than kamado, but otherwise lots of useful info.

Did you do the master class?

hargo wrote: »
    Did you do the master class?

Nope, have been tempted to sign up for a few of them though… The book’s probably a handier reference than video though.

I’ve got a brisket going at the moment. It’s thinner than the typical American ones, so internal temperature climbed quite quickly and now in the stall after about 2 hours.

• Advertisement

I’ve got a brisket going at the moment. It’s thinner than the typical American ones, so internal temperature climbed quite quickly and now in the stall after about 2 hours.

I've often thought about the difference between grass-fed Irish cattle and US grain-fed cattle and how that relates to the kind of brisket on the market here.

In the US you can buy the full packer brisket and the thickness and level of fat cap makes it significantly more favourable for long slow cooking. To add to that I would speculate that you've got a fattier cow to start with, and I would also speculate whether or not there's more likely to be something else pumping up the size of the piece.

Whereas in Ireland if you get a brisket from Higgins the beef is undoubtedly high quality but I think the relative thinness makes it tricker to avoid drying out.

The last brisket I bought and probably the best one I've gotten so far in Ireland was from Donabate Dexter (No affiliation / association to them).

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Mods can you consider merging the ceramic bbq thread with the charcoal bbq thread??

Most of the ceramics guys are posting in the charcoal bbq thread anyway

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,622 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Mods can you consider merging the ceramic bbq thread with the charcoal bbq thread??

Most of the ceramics guys are posting in the charcoal bbq thread anyway

Thanks

I’m not sure about my fellow mods but having split them off last year, I believe there is sufficient difference in each to warrant their continued separation.

The Gloomster!

Ordered one of the Hannon's salt aged sharing striploin and a rack of short ribs and did them both at the weekend.

The striploin turned out very well, reverse seared it. Ended up slightly over though as I got too close to the target temperature before the searing part, was aiming for medium rare, got medium / medium well in parts.

Ribs I tried to do low and slow. Was aiming for like 120/125 but struggled to get below 140. Ideally would have had it down at like 110 but knew that would take too long. My theory is I used 2 starters at the start, which may have lit too much charcoal and therefore caused the temp to rise. Even with vents fully closed temp was rising. Either that or I have an air leak.

I think I'll try pork ribs next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Does anyone have a Kamado Joe Jr?

I'm looking at buying my first BBQ. Was looking at getting a Weber Master Touch, but the KJ Jr looks very interesting. I don't need a very large size grill as my wife is veggie and the baby won't be having BBQ food for quite some time, it'll really be for me an a few friends. I'm very interesting in smoking meat and fish as well as grilling burgers/sausages, this appears to be a good all rounder if you don't need to feed a lot of people at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭lisij

ronnie3585 wrote: »

I'm looking at buying my first BBQ. Was looking at getting a Weber Master Touch, but the KJ Jr looks very interesting. I don't need a very large size grill as my wife is veggie and the baby won't be having BBQ food for quite some time, it'll really be for me an a few friends. I'm very interesting in smoking meat and fish as well as grilling burgers/sausages, this appears to be a good all rounder if you don't need to feed a lot of people at the same time.

Im selling mine, PM for details

ronnie3585 wrote: »

Yep- ask away what you want to know

The diameter is about 34-35 CM cooking area - so you can measure that out on paper and then see what sort of food will fit on it.

You can do 3-4 average steaks but like one, maybe 2 big T bones at the same time.

I've done low and slow ribs (pork and beef) but either just as a portion for 2 or else as part of a wider BBQ food offering. I've also hot smoked salmon over a few hours but you wouldn't fit a full side of salmon on it without cutting it up.

It's a great BBQ- it comes with a heat diffuser plate along with a metal triangle holder for it - that's essentially what's missing from the cheaper small ceramics you'd see in the likes of Lidil - also, it's cooking area is bigger by a few inches which makes all the difference as they say :p

BUT:

You'll find the Weber touch far more versatile if entertaining friends - I have a few BBQ's including a Weber Gas so i do have choices based on numbers, weather, mood.

Had trouble in the past getting high heat on my Kamado until i changed coals a few months ago. However on Saturday, while the Kamado was heating up, I decided to back indoors and do a few things- my mind probably thinking it would take ages to heat up. Went out 15 minutes later- the lovely Ferrari red colour of the Kamado Joe Jnr changed to a dark blood red :D Temperature was off the scale- I'd say well over 1000 degrees - whoops :D

It all calmed down after a while and thankfully no damage done but just shows you, you need to watch regularly as it gets up to temperature. Colour has changed back since, and apparently this is quite normal but wouldn't recommend getting the temps I got at the weekend - you're bound to smash something eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Ordered one of the Hannon's salt aged sharing striploin and a rack of short ribs and did them both at the weekend.

The striploin turned out very well, reverse seared it. Ended up slightly over though as I got too close to the target temperature before the searing part, was aiming for medium rare, got medium / medium well in parts.

Ribs I tried to do low and slow. Was aiming for like 120/125 but struggled to get below 140. Ideally would have had it down at like 110 but knew that would take too long. My theory is I used 2 starters at the start, which may have lit too much charcoal and therefore caused the temp to rise. Even with vents fully closed temp was rising. Either that or I have an air leak.

I think I'll try pork ribs next.

The problem is you are cooking in C...change to F and it may help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Yep- ask away what you want to know

The diameter is about 34-35 CM cooking area - so you can measure that out on paper and then see what sort of food will fit on it.

You can do 3-4 average steaks but like one, maybe 2 big T bones at the same time.

I've done low and slow ribs (pork and beef) but either just as a portion for 2 or else as part of a wider BBQ food offering. I've also hot smoked salmon over a few hours but you wouldn't fit a full side of salmon on it without cutting it up.

It's a great BBQ- it comes with a heat diffuser plate along with a metal triangle holder for it - that's essentially what's missing from the cheaper small ceramics you'd see in the likes of Lidil - also, it's cooking area is bigger by a few inches which makes all the difference as they say :p

BUT:

You'll find the Weber touch far more versatile if entertaining friends - I have a few BBQ's including a Weber Gas so i do have choices based on numbers, weather, mood.

That’s just the info I was looking for. Thanks!

Could you do a spatchcock chicken on it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement