Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

Rittenhouse Rye (40% abv) My first bottle of Rye (trying to expand the knowledge base) and while I was expecting something a bit spicier, this is damn fine whiskey. Tried it neat and its very drinkable neat, but i found i like it best when poured over one decent sized ice cube.

Was at a tasting evening in the Dublin Bar Academy, tried this there. Very very drinkable whisky, lovely full on flavours. Would thoroughly recommend the tasting, and the whisky!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Was in France recently - below were the costs for Jameson 1l and 750ml
    1 litre = €24.95
    750ml = €17.75

Unreal :(

NILUBr04lqB5S30E8421trstfTO3ZO5Fr7FhmdjyAfcFl1TPQ27apcjuO4R9hvYeVSw2BIinYH2BFKluplllHoTPRRSDx76aSm-S1pr8nP2P03Ee90LhLrp65Zf7SNSIYy1Ps6bSgyY8ICIAPj4S6wg0yLvV-gB63N52K7M6MA3JXhvVV5MbBRET33V_Ml7JLghxXGIx_jHguZF4dUg9zj_UO80vvoJB9VOi-sjrb3y3TQWE3bOHhBtzi1n30YYodXWmmtpXMddjj-DHzns3KuQfCZaIgD1JQiyvs2NlfNYwJ_0RkRJbCSdSr6xJpS4El5Ci9tluuv_2UjGzi_lEk2bJnJ4ggqSxR_vMUWkRY6jcN544hNt36m9B5woEZ20xz_M7CbLWAfT3dXH3jzIX_HoQ5Q9HBJUG_mlO9iAZlKFkHgp6ncq89kejgP2S5rCPVJqg8NvP8PUPRq6UfkxJOCVCs6juIZz3rn1vctK3sPkfEmkifb6pWO1o9MoiUgzryOuU-5nRP6pOj7mhlHZNYYbFagVD0ETJUNNS7U5XZP8v5o9UTi-sn8qmL0KmkfOcHfxRmr1oJKCfSsguVnjtdpMKEwKtRrg=w1203-h677-no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

kbannon wrote: »
    Was in France recently - below were the costs for Jameson 1l and 750ml
    1 litre = €24.95
    750ml = €17.75

Unreal :(

Purely the difference in Duty and the vat on the duty

Swings and roundabouts - France has 5.9% vat rate on all food, and 20% standard rate on children's clothing and footwear.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

VincePP wrote: »
    Purely the difference in Duty and the vat on the duty
    I'm aware that it's down to different tax rates.
    Just surprised at the difference.

kbannon wrote: »
    I'm aware that it's down to different tax rates.
    Just surprised at the difference.

€14.66 duty and vat on the duty of any bottle of 40% spirits in Ireland.

The manufacturing cost of a bottle of blended standard whiskey is about €2 - €2.50.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

VW 1 wrote: »
    Was at a tasting evening in the Dublin Bar Academy, tried this there. Very very drinkable whisky, lovely full on flavours. Would thoroughly recommend the tasting, and the whisky!

Not from the big smoke, but that course does look good, so might need to plan a visit :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Was given a bottle of Powers 12 and unfortunately i dont think its particularly good.

I really enjoyed the John Lane sig series, round and deep like a pot still should be but with some apple freshness & unmistakable powers spice.

The powers 12 however just tastes like a slightly more refined standard powers.
    It has a little more depth & roundness which is good.
    The grain whiskey component comes through much too strongly though and catches you in the back of the throat.
    It has a lot of vanilla and with a drop of water a very woody quality comes through, like the smell of freshly cut wood, but thats it.
    Note i never needed water in the john lane sig to bring out its nuances.

Overall the powers 12 is grand, but not worth the price and its worth putting an extra tenner on the price and getting the john lane sig

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Feenix

What would be a good whiskey for a beginner/novice? If there is such a thing. First and only bottle I ever purchased was a Teeling Small Batch a couple of weeks ago.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Feenix wrote: »
    What would be a good whiskey for a beginner/novice? If there is such a thing. First and only bottle I ever purchased was a Teeling Small Batch a couple of weeks ago.

Did you enjoy it?

I went from drinking mass market US whiskey - Jack Daniels etc - on to Irish then ridiculously smokey scotch and now mostly lighter Scotch + Irish.

If you liked the Teelings I'd suggest other Irish - cheaper end Black Bush, getting dearer something like Jameson Black Barrel.

Definitely try a smokey scotch but I'd advise having one in a pub first before committing to the cost of a bottle. Something like Johnny Walker Black is fairly decent and not bank-breaking either in a pub or a bottle

L1011 wrote: »
    Did you enjoy it?

I went from drinking mass market US whiskey - Jack Daniels etc - on to Irish then ridiculously smokey scotch and now mostly lighter Scotch + Irish.

If you liked the Teelings I'd suggest other Irish - cheaper end Black Bush, getting dearer something like Jameson Black Barrel.

Definitely try a smokey scotch but I'd advise having one in a pub first before committing to the cost of a bottle. Something like Johnny Walker Black is fairly decent and not bank-breaking either in a pub or a bottle

Yes I enjoyed it but it took a bit of getting used to, I was hoping to pick up something a little smoother.

• Advertisement

As above. Black Bush is a decent entry level. A lot of pubs sell this at standard whiskey price, so can be a nice one to try.

Dilute with about same amount of water and a touch of ice to start off and make a pleasant longish drink.
    Add more water if its a little strong at first.

After a while you'll find the level of dilutness you like.

When you become a mature whiskey drinker ( can take a while) and get onto the more intense variations, you'll just use water to open up the flavour. But there's a great path to walk before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭ankles

I like 'em smokier the better, I want to eat peat. So nearly finished a Dalwhinnie 15yr old but now half way through a Lagavulin 16 yr old picked up in Lisbon. Hit the spot. Previously worked through various Laphroaig. Have a Jameson special cask in there somewhere, not my normal cup of tea but for a smoother experience it's excellent. Only had the odd Japanese in a bar. About to head to Spain so eyes open for some bargains

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

ankles wrote:
    I like 'em smokier the better, I want to eat peat. So nearly finished a Dalwhinnie 15yr old but now half way through a Lagavulin 16 yr old picked up in Lisbon. Hit the spot. Previously worked through various Laphroaig. Have a Jameson special cask in there somewhere, not my normal cup of tea but for a smoother experience it's excellent. Only had the odd Japanese in a bar. About to head to Spain so eyes open for some bargains

Dislike this post
    Only cos you're getting cheap booze
    Enjoy and update us

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

See if you can find a good whiskey shop. The'll likely sell miniature bottles that you can try out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

See if you can find a good whiskey shop. The'll likely sell miniature bottles that you can try out.

A good whiskey shop will let you taste a few different ones to decide what you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

Jameson caskmates would be a good one.
    very smooth and drinkable neat.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

Jack Daniels for tonight.. Simple things make me happy...

smurf492 wrote:

Pffftttt
    Jack Daniels
    Hipster?????

brinty wrote:
    Pffftttt Jack Daniels Hipster?????

Seriously hipster??? Sorry for drinking something i like as opposed to you, no doubt the asshole connoisseur of years aged irish whisky...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

smurf492 wrote: »
    Seriously hipster??? Sorry for drinking something i like as opposed to you, no doubt the asshole connoisseur of years aged irish whisky...

I read it as a joke.

• Advertisement

I think he was having the craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Epic fail on the happy bit...;)

Epic fail on the happy bit...

No i am happy, just don't appreciate the hipster tag. This is a whisky/whiskey thread which i like to contribute, unfortunately my budget at the moment only stems to jack...

No i am happy, just don't appreciate the hipster tag. This is a whisky/whiskey thread which i like to contribute, unfortunately my budget at the moment only stems to jack...

You could go on master of malt .com and get some samples probably wouldn't last as long but would be enjoyable all the same.

smurf492 wrote:

smurf492 wrote:

Smurf
    I was having the craic no harm was intended

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

JD is rather expensive, though.

I have some amazon vouchers and thought I would put it towards a bottle of Midleton rare. There is 2012 and 2014, there is a difference in price but otherwise I don't know which to go for?

Be aware that there is a strong chance of it being caught by customs even it they ship to Ireland...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

I had champagne sent from Amazon to parcel motel ok, but there is a chance it will get confiscated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I bought a few bottles from Flaviar, no issues getting through.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement