Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015 Cooking Club Week 10: Lamb doner kebabs with salad and sauces

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I made it tonight. Again! I've used the salad recipe a few times too. Had it it with fillet steak and chips last week and it was lovely. The oh had in her lunch pitta with some ham and loved it! I thought the lemon juice would turn it overnight but it kept well in the fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭emaleth

This was dinner on Sunday (because classy) and it was effing well delicious. I really liked the red kebab sauce. Leftovers (not that there was much) got demolished standing at the counter at midnight after Monday night refreshments :D

I made these flatbreads, cooked for about a minute and a half each side in hot cast iron pans. They were nice and soft and wrappable. They're keeping well too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,875 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Made this today. Can't believe how good good good they were! Addictive....thanks so much for this recipe.... The sauces were fantastic and the lamb meat! Gorgeous! Only thing I could not get was onion powder?
    Yum yum yum!!!!
    6ir3oj.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

We had this for dinner tonight OP, dear jebus it was so good. I used pork & beef mince instead of lamb which worked great. I loved the red sauce, the mint was delicious!

10/10, will definitely make again.

kebab_zpsccxxklgf.jpg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I made this today too. :) The pitta breads were a nightmare (4/5 of them fell apart) but the fillings were gorgeous. Plenty of moisture in the meat, two lovely sauces and a great big bowl of tasty salad. Excellent recipe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

An File wrote: »
    I made this today too. :) The pitta breads were a nightmare (4/5 of them fell apart) but the fillings were gorgeous. Plenty of moisture in the meat, two lovely sauces and a great big bowl of tasty salad. Excellent recipe.

Yeah. I did it agan and used wraps instead - not authentic but worked better.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

All these Pitta Breads falling to pieces. Do you all know that you're supposed to toast them first?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

OP - you legend!

Definitely trying this out at the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I'm seriously going to have to try to sort out some decent bread for this recipe I think. Will try a Taftoon recipe in the next couple of weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

I'm seriously going to have to try to sort out some decent bread for this recipe I think. Will try a Taftoon recipe in the next couple of weeks.

Back in 2008 I did a wood burning baking course in England. We made pitta breads on the course - they were fantastic, so tasty but only any good fresh.

I do have an oven that I've meant to put up for the last umpteen years :o. Maybe this is the year ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

BaZmO* wrote: »
    All these Pitta Breads falling to pieces. Do you all know that you're supposed to toast them first?

Yes. I've been eating the things since I was a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

An File wrote: »
    Yes. I've been eating the things since I was a kid.

Same here, but I've never had them fall apart. Quite surprised that so many people are having that problem.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Pita breads always fall apart for me too, regardless of what's in it.

Sweet baby Jane!

Just ate 3 of these bad boys!!! Absolutely smashing. Had to make some adjustments, due to lack of mint, tomatoes and cucumbers. But other than that, all followed to a tee...

Amazing really, I couldn't get enough. The lamb is perfect, as are the accompanying sauces.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Larry Bee

A fantastic recipe. Thanks very much Padraig. :)
    anewme wrote: »
    Made this today. Can't believe how good good good they were! Addictive....thanks so much for this recipe.... The sauces were fantastic and the lamb meat! Gorgeous! Only thing I could not get was onion powder?

I'd problems getting Onion powder so I mad some by cutting an onion as thinly as possible, drying it out it in the oven at the lowest setting until it went white and brittle, and then blitzing it

CHICKEN DONER KEBAB
    Serves 1
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 tablespoon tomato purée
    4 tablespoons lemon juice
    ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
    ¼ teaspoon onion powder
    ¼ teaspoon cumin powder
    ¼ teaspoon salt
    ¼ teaspoon black pepper
    2 medium skinless, boneless chicken thighs (around 113 g/4 oz total weight)
    2 lemon slices

Just wanted to add that this chicken recipe goes down a treat too. I made mixed wraps on Tuesday for me and my brother with this chicken and the leftover lamb and salad. I added a little turmeric when the chicken was in the pan. Lovely food!

Larry Bee wrote: »
    A fantastic recipe. Thanks very much Padraig. :)

I'd problems getting Onion powder so I mad some by cutting an onion as thinly as possible, drying it out it in the oven at the lowest setting until it went white and brittle, and then blitzing it

I didn't have onion powder, but what i did have was Onion salt - so what I ended up doing was using the 1/2tsp of Onion Salt, and instead of adding 1tsp of Salt, just put in a 1/2.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,875 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Got onion Granules in Tesco naas, it was their own brand.......it was too late for the recipe I made - but they are there if I make it again....which I will definitely!

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

We had these last night - epic!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭shooter69

Tried these last week, absolutely fantastic and defo on rotation now on the dinner menu! Thanks OP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Picked up lamb mince and Peeeta Griffin this morning so I have all ingredients ready to go for tomorrow. Can't wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Out of interest, where do people get their lamb mince and how fatty is it? I've never seen it before, though I have made this with beef mince.

If the butchers don't have them displayed they'll freshly mince the lamb pieces for you.
    Other than that, my local Supervalu always have them prepacked. €4 for 500g.
    They are fatty, I dunno how to gauge it percentage wise as they do with beef. Perhaps around the 15< mark? But so so tasty. Mmmmmmm..... fat...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I use Aldi lamb mince - 350g I think? It's 15% fat. A lot comes off in the cooking though.

I was able to scrape a huge piece of fat in off the baking tray when the lamb was cooked a few weeks ago. Not a whole lot of it left in the meat
    :)

I just couldn't wait till tomorrow. The mince kept staring at me whenever I open the fridge so I HAD to cook I it.
    Delicious, OP. Every element worked well with each other. I used wholemeal pitta, which didn't crumble until half way through.
    Next time I'll make sure to double the red sauce, they were yum.

IMG_20150416_212920_zpspgfhxirw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Made this about the day after it was posted - but forgot to comment.

My OH loved this.... said it was a dead ringer as a fake away. I found it o.k. - but i'm not a great lamb / kebab person anyway. I'm going to try it with the chicken.

Thanks OP - I'll be making this again for my OH.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

Lamb is in the oven as i type, wont be eating till tomorrow dinner time. plan on serving in the pittas with some home made chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Ohmygod this is amazing! Can't wait to try the chicken, must pick up some skewers the next time I'm in ikea. I do need a sharper knife, I kind of hacked up the patty a bit. The outside bits are so crispy and tasty.

I used smoked paprika(my favourite thing ever), onion salt, fresh basil, squeezy garlic, thyme, pink Himalayan salt and the dash of flour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,348 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Excellent recipe Padraig Mor. Delicious, and devoured by the whole family! :)

281A1024-4FF2-4B1B-88C0-97C47E4BE837_zpsieu91ab1.jpg

Advertisement