Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013 Cooking Club Week 32: Classic Lasagne

Options
  • 17-08-2013 3:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭

CLASSIC LASAGNE

INTRODUCTION - WARNING: BIG GIANT COOKING CLUB BEHEMOTH AHOY

...so at some point in recent years, lasagne seems to have fallen off the ‘cool foods’ list. With its rich mix of carbohydrate and fat, it’s not now and never has been a dieter’s food. Perhaps it’s experiencing the same follies of fashion that plagued the crepe suzette between 1986 and their revival, courtesy of Gordon Ramsay, 20 years later? Who knows – all I know is I’ve eaten some pretty awful lasagne in my time. Watery lasagne that puddles on the plate served up at the dinner party of an acquaintance. Lasagne served in a single sauce dish in the pub, basically four sheets of soggy, overdone pasta drowned in what looks like a thickened tomato soup. All of them showing the same forensic evidence of good food, murdered – the orange oil. That gloopy indicator of tomatoes, oil and water improperly mixed, and it congeals into a layer of orange crud when it’s refrigerated.

All of these things are bad ju-ju cooking. This lasagne is nothing like that.

This lasagne is the perfect mixture of rich flavours, impossible moreishness and care and attention to detail. This is the lasagne I wondered about when I used to read Garfield when I was a kid.

ga900209.gif

It takes time – quite a LOT of time – but it lends itself to being made in vast quantities and refrigerated or frozen, before or after cooking. This is dinner party food, weekend family food and cold autumn evening food. If you control the portions properly, it’s also summer lunch food.

This is a three-part cook – ragu sauce first, then making the cream sauce and building the lasagne second, then baking the lasagne third. Please, please don’t be tempted to play with the quantities, because these are calculated to deliver a ‘dry’ sauce that’s vital to prevent your lasagne turning into slop. You can’t make a lasagne with a spag bol sauce – that dog just won’t hunt. It’ll be a gloopy mess.

One other thing you really need for an excellent lasagne is an excellent baking dish. I have what I genuinely believe is the best lasagne dish on the market, which is a Mario Batali cast iron enamelled lasagne dish, but it’s extremely heavy and I’m not suggesting for a second that anyone rush out and buy one. A deep dish is best, with straight rather than sloped sides if possible. If you don’t have a monster sized dish, make this in two smaller dishes. It freezes well cooked or uncooked and can be baked out of the freezer (in an appropriate freezer-to-oven dish!) My Mario Batali dish is 34cm long, 24cm wide and 8cm deep (a little bigger than 13 inches long x 9 inches wide and 3 inches deep).

Tools for this week's recipe are a hob-to-oven casserole dish, a good deep pan for the lasagne, a large, non-stick frying pan for braising mince and a measuring jug for the component parts of the cream sauce.

picture.php?albumid=2361&pictureid=14919

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

There's a pretty long list of ingredients for this, so bear with me.

INGREDIENTS

For the meat sauce

picture.php?albumid=2361&pictureid=14920picture.php?albumid=2361&pictureid=14930picture.php?albumid=2361&pictureid=14932
    • 3 tbsps olive oil
    • A mirepoix – a mixture of one onion, one or two carrots and two or three sticks of celery, all finely diced the same size and in approximately equal amounts of onion to carrot to celery (hence you’ll have to figure out how many carrots and sticks of celery you need to match the volume of chopped onion).
    • Garlic to taste, finely chopped – I use 3 fat cloves
    • One whole nutmeg (you’ll be grating half of it into the meat sauce and half of it into the cream sauce)
    • 300g beef mince
    • 300g veal mince
    • 300g pork mince
    • 200g chicken livers
    • 700ml passata and just enough water to ‘rinse’ the passata jar after you pour the tomato sauce out
    • 4 heaped tbsps of tomato puree
    • 200g of semi sundried or just sundried tomatoes, chopped
    • 250ml red wine (don’t use vinegary crap!)
    • 1 large bunch of basil leaves, shredded by hand
    • 1 tbsp of Worcestershire sauce
    • 1 tbsp raw sugar
    • A hearty pinch of sea salt flakes

For the cream sauce

picture.php?albumid=2361&pictureid=14921
    • 1.5 litres of milk
    • 175g butter
    • 110g plain flour
    • 175ml cream
    • grated nutmeg

To make up the lasagne

picture.php?albumid=2361&pictureid=14931
    • 1 tbsp room temperature butter for greasing your lasagne tin
    • Between 16 and 24 lasagne sheets – ‘instant lasagne’ is fine – this is the hard stuff that comes in boxes. There’s no pre-cooking required and you can layer it with meat and cream sauce straight out of the box.
    • Two tubs of baby bocconcini, drained – or you can use about 400g chopped mozzarella.
    • Enough grated parmesan for the top of the lasagne – up to 300g (but can be to taste)

picture.php?albumid=2361&pictureid=14915

METHOD - RAGU SAUCE

The key to good, unsloppy, fantastic lasagne is a dry, rich ragu sauce. This is that. Before you start your preparation, turn your oven to about 150 degrees centigrade so it can pre-heat while you prep. You start this sauce off on the hob and finish it in the oven.

Start with the meat – if you haven't already, weigh out the minces. If you don’t want to use veal, double the quantity of beef mince. Don’t be tempted to put the whole pack in if you buy mince in 450g or 500g packs – again this recipe is all about producing a ‘dry’ sauce and you can’t play with the amounts.

First, rinse your chicken livers gently under cold water and pat dry with kitchen towel. Trim away any sinew or gristly bits. Chop the livers very, very finely – sometimes using a kitchen scissors to start can help because liver doesn’t chop that cleanly. If you don’t have a sharp knife and a hard board, you run the risk of pulping it down so it looks chopped but actually it’s just mangled larger pieces. This chopped liver needs to disappear into the ragu sauce, bringing flavour but being almost indiscernible in the mixture.

picture.php?albumid=2361&pictureid=14918

Once your meat is weighed and the liver is well chopped, put it all in the fridge and get on with the vegetables.

Chop your onion, carrot and celery into tiny, evenly sized dice. You can keep them all together because they’re all going in the pot at once.

picture.php?albumid=2361&pictureid=14922

Chop your semi dried tomatoes and leave them to one side for later.

picture.php?albumid=2361&pictureid=14916

Put one tablespoon of olive oil in the casserole dish and place it over a very low heat. Pour the mirepox mix into it - you want to sweat the veg, not make it crisp or golden. Put the lid on the casserole dish so they’ll sweat down. When they’re transparent, add your garlic – you can grate the whole cloves into the pan for a more intense flavour. When the garlic is added, stir it in and then take the pan off the heat and leave the lid on. The residual heat will take the rawness off the garlic.

picture.php?albumid=2361&pictureid=14923

Put a little of the remaining oil in the non-stick pan, and heat to a high heat. Start breaking the raw mince into the pan by hand. You want to get a braise on all of this mince. You don’t want to simmer this mince in its own juices until it’s a dirty grey – you want to cook a little at a time, over a high heat, until you have a golden-brown braise across it, as in the pic below.

picture.php?albumid=2361&pictureid=14933

If you put too much fridge-cold mince into a hot pan, you reduce the pan heat and end up boiling the mince, which is gross. This much at a time:

picture.php?albumid=2361&pictureid=14914

Break it up with a wooden spoon as you braise it. There should be no lumps. Work your way through all three varieties of mince – as each handful-sized batch is braised off in the pan, add it to the casserole dish of sweated mirepoix. Add a little oil for each new batch, but wait until it’s hot in the pan before adding the raw mince.

This batch of mince is sealed but not broken down or braised enough. There is still some pink in the meat, and some liquid pearling on the pan. (Apologies for the blurry photo.)

picture.php?albumid=2361&pictureid=14926

...and this one is right. Note the complete lack of bubbly mince juice in the pan.

picture.php?albumid=2361&pictureid=14927

For some random reason I decided to take those 'not there, now we're there' pics when braising the pork mince. It would've been a lot more clear on the beef mince, but hey, whaddya do...

When the mince is all braised and in the casserole dish, add the last of the oil to the non-stick pan and braise the chicken livers, again a little at a time, until there is no more pink and they have some braise on the surface of the pieces. Add them to the casserole dish as you go, until all of the meat and veg are in the pot.

picture.php?albumid=2361&pictureid=14913

When all of the meat is in the casserole dish, return the pot to the heat, then deglaze the non-stick pan with the red wine and pour it into the casserole, making sure there’s no flavour wasted.

Stir the mixture in your casserole dish and season well with salt (no pepper). Grate a half a nutmeg into the casserole dish and mix it well through the meat and vegetable mixture. Add your chopped semi dried or sundried tomatoes.

picture.php?albumid=2361&pictureid=14917

Now you can add the passata and the tomato puree. Heat to a gentle simmer. Add the Worcestershire sauce and the sugar and stir through. Take half of your bunch of basil and pick the leaves off the stalks. Tear the leaves into small pieces with your hands and add to the sauce. Stir through and simmer for about 10-15 minutes. Taste for seasoning – might need more salt or sugar. Please don't use ground black pepper in this dish. Black pepper is a spice and it has a really distinct flavour. Hey - I LOVE the stuff, but this is one dish that's better without it.

picture.php?albumid=2361&pictureid=14928

You can see there’s not a lot of liquid on this sauce, which is how it should be.

picture.php?albumid=2361&pictureid=14924

Put this casserole dish in the oven with the lid off on about 150 degrees and start it off for one hour. It’ll take up to three hours but I’ve found it’s heavily dependent on the kind of casserole dish you have and the way your oven behaves. This long, slow cook will allow the sauce to thicken up and this is essential for the finished lasagne. At the end of this time, you should have a very thick ragu sauce with hardly any liquid, but an evident richness you can see in every stir of the spoon. This cook won’t work in a slow cooker because the liquid needs to evaporate off – it’s gotta be the oven, and it really does take hours. Fan assisted in my oven in a cast iron enamel casserole takes about three hours.

When your ragu sauce is done, it will look like this:

picture.php?albumid=2361&pictureid=14936

You can see how dry, but rich, the sauce is.

picture.php?albumid=2361&pictureid=14935

Strip the remainder of your basil and shred the leaves.

picture.php?albumid=2361&pictureid=14934

Stir through the cooked sauce and then leave it to stand and cool down – this can happen while you make your cream sauce.

(Hah - note the time differences - I'm cooking and posting as I go. If this stuff up I'm in serious trouble... :pac:)

METHOD – CREAM SAUCE

This cream sauce is a quick and easy cheat and is knocked off Delia Smith’s recipe, except she uses double cream and I find that a little excessive for the poor, abused arteries...

picture.php?albumid=2361&pictureid=14939

Normally when you make a cream sauce you melt your butter and flour together, stirring all the while and then add the milk gradually. You can still do that if you wish, or you can just put the cold milk, the butter in chunks and the flour all together in a saucepan over the heat. As the butter melts, start whisking gently to stir in the flour. This way may come out lumpy, but the first method occasionally goes lumpy in spite of your best efforts.

Either way, when the sauce is cooked you’re going to strain it into a bowl and stir in the cream.

So back to your chosen method (and by 'your chosen method' I hope you picked the cheat's way, which is what I'm about to describe) – you need a large pan and a whisk, a sieve and a bowl into which you’re going to pour the sauce (through the sieve). The cheat’s method is easy – milk in first, over a medium heat; add the butter in chunks and then pour in the flour.

picture.php?albumid=2361&pictureid=14937

Whisk gently as the butter melts to incorporate the flour.

picture.php?albumid=2361&pictureid=14938

Continue to whisk until the butter is melted and the flour is fully incorporated. Then grab a good pinch of sea salt and grate in the remaining half a nutmeg and resume whisking. As it heats, the sauce will thicken. If you smell the sauce at this point you’ll be able to smell a really distinctive aroma of raw flour. You want to gently cook this sauce for 10-15 minutes over a medium low heat until that smell has been replaced by a rich aroma of sweetness and nutmeg. If you turn the heat up too high, it’ll burn on the bottom of the pot and if that burned flavour goes through the sauce, it’s ruined and you’ll have to throw it out and start over. DO NOT TURN THE HEAT UP TO TRY AND COOK THIS MORE QUICKLY. That way lies disaster...

Once it’s thick and the flour is cooked, take your white sauce off the heat and strain it, through a sieve, into a large bowl.

picture.php?albumid=2361&pictureid=14941

Any floury lumps will be caught in the sieve and can be discarded.

picture.php?albumid=2361&pictureid=14940

Stir the sauce in the bowl and taste for seasoning – may need a little more salt. Once seasoned, stir in the cream. This sauce is now ready to use.

LET'S BUILD THIS BITCH

METHOD - BUILDING YOUR LASAGNE

Before you start, turn your oven up to 180 degrees to pre-heat. (Incidentally, it took my ragu sauce 3.25 hours in the oven until I was happy with it.)
    Set yourself up somewhere convenient with the lasagne pan in the middle, the meat sauce on one side, the cream sauce on the other and your lasagne packets and your cheese bowls within easy reach. (The WORST thing that can happen is you build it and realise you’ve forgotten something. NOESSSS!!!!)

picture.php?albumid=2361&pictureid=14955

In a pan the size I'm using, you’ll get about four layers out of this recipe before the pan is full. Using a spoon I split my ragu sauce in four by simply drawing a quarter on it.

picture.php?albumid=2361&pictureid=14954

Then I used a quarter of the sauce at a time. I know I keep harping on about amounts, but the below pic shows just how thick the sauce is when you take out a quarter to do the first layer. This sauce is still hot, so this isn't a case where it's congealed in the fridge over night!

picture.php?albumid=2361&pictureid=14953

The cream sauce needs to be split in five. The finished sauce delivers about 1.75 litres. At the outset, you can set aside 350mls of the cream sauce in a separate bowl if you like, and then you know the remainder needs to go four ways. My ladle holds about 100mls, so for each layer, I use three and a half ladlefuls and it’s all good.

picture.php?albumid=2361&pictureid=14944

With about a tablespoon of soft butter, thoroughly grease your lasagne pan (or pans).

picture.php?albumid=2361&pictureid=14942

Start with the ragu sauce at the bottom. Spread it evenly over the pan and into all the corners. Tamp it down as you spread.

picture.php?albumid=2361&pictureid=14949

Over the ragu sauce, ladel a layer of the cream sauce. You need to get four lots out of the remaining cream sauce, so ladel enough to cover the ragu without drowning it, but be sparing.

picture.php?albumid=2361&pictureid=14951

Then stud the cream sauce layer with a quarter of the bocconcini balls. I use the tiniest ones, even smaller than cherry bocconcini, but you can even tear these apart if you like.

picture.php?albumid=2361&pictureid=14950

Over the top of the cheese, place a single layer of your lasagne sheets. How many it takes and how they fit depends on the size and shape of your pan. They need to overlap, but not by huge amounts (or you get a chewy knot of pasta in the middle of your lasagne – blerch). If you need to split a lasagne sheet sideways, score it gently with a knife and snap it over the edge of your benchtop, with the scored side upwards and the bench edge on the reverse side of the sheet in the same place as the score. Attempts to snap sheets by hand delivers an unreliable mix of perfection and weird and useless shapes.

picture.php?albumid=2361&pictureid=14948

Once the lasagne layers are in, that’s the first layer of your lasagne built. Three more to go. Start over with the ragu sauce, then the cream sauce, then the cheese – top with more lasagne sheets. It’s easier to spread the sauce around without disturbing the layers if you dot it from the next layer onwards.

picture.php?albumid=2361&pictureid=14943

Continue until everything is gone and you have a full pan, with a clean layer of lasagne on top, and about 1/5 of the cream sauce left in your bowl (unless you were clever, in which case you have an empty bowl and a secret stash of cream sauce set aside).

picture.php?albumid=2361&pictureid=14946

Cover the top layer of lasagne in cream sauce. Smooth and stretch it out so it reaches every corner of the tin.

picture.php?albumid=2361&pictureid=14945

Then sprinkle grated parmesan over your cream sauce. Make sure you get a good, thorough covering of parmesan.

picture.php?albumid=2361&pictureid=14952

This is going to go a magnificent golden brown in the oven, and when you carry your gigantic tin of lasagne out to the table for your dinner guests they’ll go ‘Ooooh!’ and ‘Aaaaah!’ in admiration.

At this point, your lasagne can be frozen (though to be perfectly honest I’d be making it in far smaller quantities and using far more dishes if I was going to do that). It can also be left in the fridge overnight and be cooked the following day (but give it a little longer in the oven if it’s coming out of the fridge).

It takes between 45 minutes and an hour (45 mins if it’s going in with warm sauce, closer to the hour of it’s out of the fridge.) It needs to be golden brown and bubbling gently around the edges.

It’s currently in the oven, so y’all have to wait for it to cook until I can post the last one. Here’s what it looks like in the oven. :pac:

picture.php?albumid=2361&pictureid=14947

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Wow what a post, wouldnt mind a bit of lasagne for breakfast myself!

• Advertisement

When it comes out of the oven, the lasagne looks like this:

picture.php?albumid=2361&pictureid=14957

It'll stay hot out of the oven for quite some time, and it even carves up into portions better when it's a little cooler so feel free to let it stand. For the purpose of these pictures I portioned it up straight out of the oven, so its layer integrity is more cheesy goo than clearly delineated layers. :D

I serve this with a salad of mixed leaves, cherry tomatoes, avocado that I’ve tossed in lemon juice as soon as I cut it, toasted pine nuts and a little shaved parmesan, dressed with an olive oil and balsamic dressing that’s been seasoned with pepper, salt and a little more lemon juice and then shaken with a bashed clove of garlic.

Bon appétit. :)

picture.php?albumid=2361&pictureid=14956

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I'm looking at a bowl of crunchy nut cornflakes and wishing it was lasagna.

Looks fantastic. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Wow!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Amazing amazing amazing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

*makes new plan for cooking club week...*

Looks deadly The Sweeper!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

wow looks amazing,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Who needs TV cookery shows...just log on to boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

That looks insanely good.
    Can I replace pork mince with turkey mince? Or should i just increase both beef and veal mince? I love a bit of bacon and sausages but porky pork pork not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Will try that instead of my usual recipe, the next time I make lasagne.
    I'm in awe of the precision displayed. I'm more of a guesstimating cook :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

God Almighty!! That's a lot if work! It's worth it though I'd say judging by the end result!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Shouldn't you blanch the lasagne sheets before adding them, as lasagne is supposed to collapse when cut? I don't eat pasta myself, but several people I know say it gets stodgy if you use uncooked sheets and cuts into brick-like portions. Read a Paolo Tullio article this year that said same. Seems a shame to waste all that hard work for the end result to be stodgy. Or does the fact that the ragu is quite a dry sauce mean that stodginess is avoided? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Shouldn't you blanch the lasagne sheets before adding them, as lasagne is supposed to collapse when cut? I don't eat pasta myself, but several people I know say it gets stodgy if you use uncooked sheets and cuts into brick-like portions. Read a Paolo Tullio article this year that said same. Seems a shame to waste all that hard work for the end result to be stodgy. Or does the fact that the ragu is quite a dry sauce mean that stodginess is avoided? :)

Depends on the sheets. Most don't require precooking, but some do.

Depends on the sheets. Most don't require precooking, but some do.

Like, dried ones would, fresh ones wouldn't?

Nope, depends on what you buy. See the 'instant' on the front of the packs that I photographed? They're exactly that - instant. They don't require blanching before use. It'll say on the packet what you need to do with the sheets.

If you zoom on that picture, you'll see the text beneath says 'Oven ready lasagna sheets, no pre-cooking required.' Years ago I tried blanching oven-ready sheets, thinking it's what you did, and I may have done it for too long but I found they tore when I tried to use them for layering. (Probably did leave them in the water too long now I think of it.) The good-quality oven-ready ones are pretty foolproof.

The dryness of the sauce does help prevent stodge, and at the same time the cream sauce helps to cook the sheets without them being like toughened paper paste, or like disintegrating mush. Edited to add - I struggled to get a neat cut for the first piece I wanted for the picture. The first few slices hot out of the oven are rich and saucy and topple across the plate. Once it's been sitting in the fridge overnight, it cuts into blocks that will only fall over once they've been zapped in the microwave. I couldn't photograph the first cuts without having them look like the gloop I said I was trying to avoid, because of the sauciness. Oh well!

Saying that, if you overlap them too much the overlaps are quite chewy and stodgy. I love that pan so much before four sheets fit so neatly and the overlap is minimal.

Edited to add - I struggled to get a neat cut for the first piece I wanted for the picture. The first few slices hot out of the oven are rich and saucy and topple across the plate.

But that's what I mean, that's what's supposed to happen! :) That's the sign of a good lasagna, I think!

I salute your dedication, that's a lot of work! I want to add lasagna to my repertoire for my BF, but can't think I'll go to this trouble. Mine will likely feature orange oil... :o

• Advertisement

Ragu is reducing away in the oven for the last hour now. It smells amazing.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

That looks AMAZING!!! great effort, and I LOVE lasanga so this is definitely on my list!

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    That looks insanely good.
    Can I replace pork mince with turkey mince? Or should i just increase both beef and veal mince? I love a bit of bacon and sausages but porky pork pork not so much.

Not sure. I can't see why it wouldn't work. Give it a go and let me know :)

Not sure. I can't see why it wouldn't work. Give it a go and let me know :)

I couldn't wait for your reply so I ditched the turkey idea and kept it safe with just butcher minced beef. Veal was quite difficult to source on a Sunday morning, and especially in Dublin (I'm kicking myself now for not buying them at the English Market last weekend, knowing how hard to get it here). But thank God I found chicken liver, which was another thing that's hard to find on Sunday mornings. I happened to have everything else in hand.
    Followed the recipe accordingly, the only thing was I took the Ragu out from the oven after 2.5 hours -- I thought it was very dry by then.
    A+ for the shortcut bechamel, although it actually took me about 25-30 min before the raw flour smell was gone. By the way, only when I poured the milk to heat up for the sauce did I realise, damn! that's going to be a lot of sauce! My guess was it would moist the thick Ragu.
    I used mozarella sliced in the layers.

ClassicLasagna02_zps9ed2b76f.jpg

After half an hour's rest the lasagna cuts beautifully.

ClassicLasagne_zps2b61a04a.jpg

This was good. It was very,very good.
    A+ on the chicken liver addition -- it gave a lovely depth.
    You were actually right about not adding black pepper. I normally heavily blackpepper my cooking, but this lasagna was perfectly fine without it.
    I'd say the mix of mince would give lovely different layers of taste. I'm glad I didn't sub turkey mince instead, as I think it would've given a stringy texture, and I'm not too sure it would work. Poultry and red meat. I dunno. But I'll be damn sure to look for veal next time.

Thanks, Sweeper! This might just be my go-to recipe in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Good God, Mrs Fox, that looks amazing. Salivating here!

Can't wait to try this, Sweeper. Just need to get over myself being slightly icked by chicken livers... and get a big pot.

OP, I'm fascinated by the addition of liver. What dimension does it add? :)

...tastiness. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

MrsFox that looks incredible!! I'm on hols from work from Thursday so if I get a chance I might give this a go at the weekend

...tastiness. :P

Can you use the ragu sauce in any other ways? I don't like pasta. I've really tried to like it, but I just don't. :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Can you use the ragu sauce in any other ways? I don't like pasta. I've really tried to like it, but I just don't. :p

Maybe substitute courgette for the pasta? Sliced, roasted in the oven for about 10 mins then layer instead of pasta.

Advertisement