Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,135 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Just found this on http://www.rockcookbook.com/bulmers-up-the-bum/ although the best chicken is grass-fred
    I can’t stand Bulmer’s. Like all minging ciders, it always reminds me of heaving my guts out all over the car park of Wesley disco. However, last year I came up with a great use for it – shoving a can of it right up a chicken’s rectum and firing up the barbie.
    You may have had a beer can chicken before, this is my variation on it. What normally happens is that you get a 500ml can of beer, drink half of it, pierce it a few times in the centre of the can, put it up a chicken’s jacksie and stand it up on a barbecue with the lid down for about an hour. The outside of the bird is left crispy and smokey but the inside is tender and moist from the beer. Or in my case, cider.
    There is an irony here. When Bulmer’s first brought out it’s Pear Cider, the only reaction to it on the streets went a little something like this: “Jaysus I had a few of them Bulmer’s Pear last night and I spent the whole morning on the bog. Put a road right through me.” And here I am telling you to plug an arse with it.
    Seriously though, all butts aside, there aint no finer way to cook a chicken. You should be left with something that looks like this:

INGREDIENTS:
    1 normal sized chicken (corn fed taste best I reckon)
    1 500 ml can of Bulmer’s
    FOR THE SAUCE:
    ¼ cup of English mustard
    ¼ cup of Dalkey Mustard (or other grainy one)
    ¼ cup of Dijon Mustard
    1 teaspoon of Olive Oil
    ¼ cup of white wine vinegar
    ½ cup of cloudy apple juice (Aldi + Lidl do a good one)
    Juice of ½ a lemon
    ½ teaspoon of salt
    METHOD:
    Combine all of the sauce ingredients together by whisking them in a bowl.
    Take half the sauce and throw it on the chicken, keep the other half for another meal. Let the chicken marinade overnight if you can.
    Heat up your barbie. Open up the Bulmer’s and pour half of it out. Then pierce the can at the halfway mark a few times.
    Stand your chicken up right and shove the can up it’s Brenda Fricker. It should be able to stand on it’s own now, without falling.
    Place it on the barbie on a medium heat for 1 ¼ hours to 1 ½ hours. When it’s all golden on the outside and the leg can come away fairly easily, it’s cooked.
    The mustard sauce gives the outside of the chicken a slightly spicy flavour and a rich colour while the Bulmer’s keeps everything moist and brings a great sweetness.
    SERVE WITH:
    Some decent, dry French cider. The stuff from Normandy that comes in a wine bottle. There’s loads of it around, a few different brands. Beats the **** out of the Bulmer’s any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭opti76

duploelabs wrote: »
    Just found this on http://www.rockcookbook.com/bulmers-up-the-bum/ although the best chicken is grass-fred
    did this at the weekend .. 2 thumbs very much up ....

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Mammamia17

Hi All,
    just wondering if anyone has any ideas or recommendations for barbequing.....dd is 18 and we're having a bbq next week, but have never bbq'd before so want to practice this w/end.

Was thinking burgers & steak, sausages & some skewers....lamb maybe & some salmon steaks.....am doing chicken/mushroom vol au vents so will stick to red meat on the bbq

would also like to do pasta salad & curried rice along with the cold meat salads & regular garden salad.... so if anyone has any suggestions or tips I'd be really grateful
    Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭careca11

I know you want to stick with Red meat , but these are a real winnner at a BBQ

sweet n sticky chickens are always a winner

Chop up your Chicken Breast's into good size chunks, (or you can just use Chicken legs or wings )
    Marinade them overnight in a mix of (Honey, Balasmic vinger and Soy Sauce )

throw the chunks onto the BBQ ....................cooks in a couple of mins .

and as a Sweet treat ,
    cut a pineapple into Quarters , roll in Sugar and throw onto the BBQ for couple of mins (Absolutely Delicious)

For Burgers .....roll the burgers in some spices (Cayenne Pepper for example) or just sprinkle with a beef oxo Cube ........................you won't regret it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

For your burger sauce mix:

1 spoon of Frenches Mustard with 2 spoons of Helmans Mayo, tis saveage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Marshmallows and mushrooms.

Not together but either threaded on skewers is yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Bartyman

Try this Burger sauce, makes enough for 3-4 burgers.

4 tablespoons mayonaisse (Hellmans)
    2 teaspoons yellow mustard (Frenchs)
    2 teaspoons Ketchup ( Heinze)
    1 tablespoon finely chopped gherkin,

Mix well and leave in the fridge for 1 hour.

Delish :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

Bartyman wrote: »
    2 teaspoons Ketchup ( Heinze)]

UGH!
    What is wrong with you. Chef all the way! :p

OP, get yourself some nice juicy large pork chops seasoned with a lot of rosemary.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Bartyman

Dermo,

Don't knock it till you try it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

Bartyman wrote: »
    Dermo,

Don't knock it till you try it. :D

I'll try it but I will use my Chef ketchup :)
    It does sound delicious though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Threads merged. The 'Search' function is your friend. :)

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Mammamia17

Cheers all....now I have loads of ideas :-)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

This is my default barbecue recipe and it is great if you have a few mouths to feed simultaneously. Timing is probably the most difficult aspect of barbecue cooking. I won't give quantities because it all depends on the size of your barbie. It is an intuitive dish anyway.

Good quality, minced round steak. (The better the quality, the more successful the dish). This should be minced for you by the butcher rather than being given to you from a tray. Don't even think about supermarket mince!
    Finely chopped Onions; equal in raw volume to the meat. E.g. 1 lb of meat to 1 lb of raw onion.
    Seasoning.
    Herbes de Provence.
    Madras curry powder.

Fry the onions in a little butter and some sunflower oil over a low heat until they begin to melt. You will know they are ready when they begin to stick together. It takes a long time - don't be tempted to turn up the heat - it will ruin the flavour.
    Put the onions aside until fairly cool.
    Then mix onions and beef together with herbs and seasoning.
    When all is well mixed, squash the whole lot into a gigantic burger of a size to suit your barbie. About 1/2 an inch thickness. Give the burger a dusting of curry powder on both sides and cook straight over the white coals. You will know it is time to turn it when it doesn't stick to the grill.

Et voila

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

Second course: Bananas in their skins, leave them on until they are soft and the skins have gone black (Do not burn).. They are absolutely delicious with ice cream. P.S. remove skin before eating:D

Slice the skins and the banana on the top and stuff with chocolate! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

Mammamia17 wrote: »
    Hi All,
    just wondering if anyone has any ideas or recommendations for barbequing.....dd is 18 and we're having a bbq next week, but have never bbq'd before so want to practice this w/end.

Was thinking burgers & steak, sausages & some skewers....lamb maybe & some salmon steaks.....am doing chicken/mushroom vol au vents so will stick to red meat on the bbq

would also like to do pasta salad & curried rice along with the cold meat salads & regular garden salad.... so if anyone has any suggestions or tips I'd be really grateful
    Cheers!

Handy side for a BBQ are baby potatoes. Lash them in the oven and coat them in a little rapeseed oil, some cayenne pepper and some garlic salt. Delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Hi guys,

Not a forum I frequent here so bear with me. :)

With the good weather on Friday and Saturday there I decided to pull out the bbq again,.... and put back in under the cover thankfully before the rain!

I've done a quick search and cant really find any designated bbq thread so here it is.

Anyone with ideas or recipies would be most welcome!

Also I have a 4 burner gas bbq, 2 burners are over a grill and 2 are over a hotplate.

Any ideas for the hotplate in particular would be most welcome as I never use it.
    I do the likes of rashers and veg on the grill part and they come out grand. I suppose the likes of onions but to be honest again I've done them in rings quickly on the grill part as well which works fine.
    I've never done something with so much sauce that I felt I couldnt throw it over the grill part and tbh I dont tend to put anything with sauce on it on the bbq. I rather the bbq / char taste so tend to keep to dry rubs.

Anyone do pizza on it?

I know its a bit rubbish weather wise today but it'll be soon bbq weather again!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

I got into the habit of always including some vegetables on the bbq when I lived in New Zealand. It's a nice balance to all the meat.

Sweetcorn, whole cobs still in their leaves when in season.
    Soak in a basin of water for a few minutes, shake off the excess and put on the bbq. Leave until the outer leaves start to blacken/go on fire and then turn slightly. Repeat until the entire outer surface is blackened/charred and lift off. Wrap a tea towel around your hand and hold the cobs at the base. Peel off the leaves with your other hand (put on a washing up glove if they're very hot). The result is sweet, smoky, steamed sweet corn. Brush with melted butter and gnaw.

Sweet peppers, tomatoes, fresh basil leaves, baby sweetcorn, mange tout, a handful of spinach leaves, pine nuts etc.. Whatever you fancy really in the way of leaves and veg that will cook quickly (potatoes, carrots and other roots take too long this way). Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and oil e.g. olive, sunflower or rapeseed, salt and pepper, and wrap up in a tinfoil parcel. Place the parcel on the hot plate. Leave for about 15 minutes (until you hear the contents gently sizzling). Carefully open the parcel and put the contents into a bowl to serve.

Threads merged.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Threads merged.

tHB

thanks hill billy, genuinely didnt see this one. Give me more to look at now though! :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 495 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

I've done pizza on the bbq and it's not really worth the effort in my opinion. I use one of my burners with a can filled with wood chips that have been soaked to get the smoky taste into food. It works a treat

• Advertisement

thanks hill billy, genuinely didnt see this one. Give me more to look at now though! :)

No probs. I knew what to look for. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭rick_fantastic

Hickory Smoked Pull Pork Shoulder...

Dry rub bone in pork shoulder (I used smoked paprika, cumin, allspice, black pepper, salt, various herb, chilli powder, mustard powder, garlic powder)

eXlSwdV.jpg

Prep bbq (mines gas, one half drip tray, no direct heat, other half with tinfoil full of soaked hickory chips.

jRwM6wx.jpg

Cook meat, rotating away from heat every 45/60 mins

yeBfzVy.jpg

it should look like this...

g3y9HyP.jpg

When it reaches around 150 degrees (F) take off bbq and put in oven to finish, i steamed it over a couple of bottles of beer on a rack covered in tinfoil to keep steam in at around 125degrees celcius

when internal meat temp reaches around 180 degrees (F) take it out and cover with tinfoil and a towel and let it sit for about an hour and a half.

remove all fat and then pull with two forks.

YKUGKly.jpg

voila - enough meat to feed the masses for 15euros... takes a while to cook tho... i had it on bbq for 6.5 hours and then in oven for another 4 hours... wouldve done it on bbq for whole time but had to go out for a few hours hence finish in oven.

next time i do it (prob weekend, ill take more photos of the whole process)

had it in dry rub for a day and a half before cooking...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Hickory Smoked Pull Pork Shoulder...

it should look like this...

:eek: Mother of Babe!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭niallam

From another thread I posted in.
    I used an offset smoker, I removed the fat as it's the 1 thing the smoke won't penetrate properly and I used an injection.

I've always been a big BBQ person but yesterday i tried my first ever "Pork Butt" or shoulder as we call it :)

I started off with a full 7kg pork shoulder.
    My rub consisted of coarse salt, black pepper, paprika, cumin, cayenne pepper, mustard powder, brown sugar & white sugar
    My injection, apple juice, apple cider vinegar, water, white sugar, salt & Worcester sauce

I deboned the shoulder, took all the fat off and applied my rub on 1 side, 40 mins i wiped off the excess and applied to the other side.
    I rolled it up very loosely but to keep an even thickness throughout.
    Added my injection throughout and wrapped in cling film.

First i lined my smoker with tinfoil and 2 drip trays.

21chxqe.jpg

I was using hickory wood chunks and apple wood chips, some soaked and some not so as to get as long between adding more wood as i could.

I also had a foil tray over the charcoal with apple cider vinegar and water. The pic of this is more for just showing and was fresh chips put on.

anoobm.jpg

Opened for the first time after 2 hours

j5jl94.jpg

16018x.jpg

I kept the temp in the smoker at about 250f for 6 hours, was very hard to control the temp but managed. I used a meat probe with 1m cable on the rack to tell inside temp.
    Adding wood every 30 mins, used about 2kg hickory chunks and 1kg apple.

After 6 hours of rotating every hour and spraying with apple juice it was ready for the next step.

2zegqqt.jpg

Wrapped it in foil and sat in a tray. Inserted the probe inside now and temp was at 154f, injected it again which brought temp to 150f. Covered it and fresh charcoal (cleaned out full heat box at this point) for the next 3 hours. Monitored the temp to make sure it wasn't climbing too fast and my target internal temp was 190-200f, best for pulled pork according to all American forums.
    2 hours 45 mins later it reached temp.

25k0xaq.jpg

10z2zid.jpg

Left to rest for 45 mins.

Pulled it all, sprayed again with apple juice a few times and added the injection juice from the tray from the last stage (not the drip tray).

2cx8dx4.jpg

Got perfect smoke ring for my first attempt, served it with a red onion marmalade :)

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭rick_fantastic

that looks great....

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Tom75

Last jobs from smoker:
    bacon
    sausage
    pork steak
    turkey breast
    chicken

Did 2 racks of ribs last night and chicken thighs.
    Few too many beers beforehand made me forget to take pics.
    The thighs were amazing, made my own bbq sauce for everything.

120g heinz tomato sauce
    40g brown sugar
    30g onion
    3 cloves garlic
    15ml apple cider vinegar
    15ml Worcester sauce
    1 tsp dry mustard
    cayenne pepper to hot hot you want it, i used about 2g only

Minced my onion with a tiny bit of water and fried it up in a little oil
    Added everything else and reduced it for about 20 mins.

Very easy to make, I know there are far more complicated methods but this one is a great quick and easy way.

I made a very fresh rub for the chicken with sea salt (no anti caking), brown sugar, pepper, garlic granules, mustard powder and lemon zest i dried.

Seared them well on the gas bbq first then an hour in the smoker in foil trays and sauced them and finished them on the racks in the smoker to get a nice finish on them.

Sorry i've no pics but they didn't last long enough :D

Chicken from this evening :)
    I gave these a small injection of chicken stock i had frozen that i reduced down to a very thick liquid to inject.

After trimming and before rub

dh7gw0.jpg

In the smoker, gave them a quick fry on the gas bbq first. I use the probe to give a better reading of actual internal temp in the smoker.
    I smoked with apple wood for 1 hour at 225-240f

qp41hl.jpg

After 1 hour in the smoker i coat them in my BBQ sauce and back onto the gas. I recoat them a few times turning every few minutes.

2a7himb.jpg

30swyty.jpg

Extremely tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭columf

Hi All
    Said I would throw up what I did for my last cook
    Got some belly pork from Tesco with the ribs attached. I cut off the ribs for use at a later date.
    Score the fat side of the belly down to the meat I score mine so when you cut the pork into slices the score is where you cut meaning the crackling on the slice stays intact.
    I made some rub 1/2 cup of salt 1/2 cup of brown sugar 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper onion powder garlic powder and sweet paprika each and then a decent grind of black pepper 1 to 2 level table spoons a lovely aromatic rub suitable for all meats.
    I used some yellow mustard to coat the pork and act as a glue for my rub.Make sure to get that rub between the slits in the skin
    I put mine into a covered tray and left over night in the fridge.

For this cook I was using a weber q 320 gas grill it has 2 burners this is the only gas grill I have ever used my Dad got it years ago the burners are in a strange configuration there is the main burner which runs around the outer edge of the grill at the lowest setting it will go to about 170c then there is another burner which runs down the middle of the grill this will give you lower temps.

I set up my grill as following
    I used hickory chips which I had soaked for 30 mins I put them into a foil tray and covered the try in foil and pierced the foil several times.
    I set my grill to high on both burners and closed the lid.
    I used a roasting tin and filled it with apple juice I then put in a meat rack and rested my pork on the rack. With a meat thermometer
    I put my wood chips at the back corner and my meat was in the center.
    The weber has 2 openings either side of the cooking area I didn't want my smoke going out the side and not over the meat so I made a baffle with some tinfoil it seems to have worked.
    I kept a close eye on the meat for the first 15 20 mins until the skin got nice and crispy then I reduced the temp to between 150c and 170c and let it cook about once an hour I would spritz it with apple juice and if needed fill the pan with some more cider.
    it was a modest piece of meat as it was only a couple of friends, Dad and I, so it cooked in 3 hours. I wrapped it in tin foil and put it into a insulated bag while I prepared the rest

I served it with some grilled corn on the cob and a salad
    for the corn I get them still in the husk so I peel back the leaves and remove the silk I then put the leaves back and soak the corn in some salt and water for 15 mins. I then put them on a hot grill for about 5 minutes a side until they are done.

The pork was amazing and did not last long the knife glided through the meat it was tender moist and rich on the inside nice and crispy on the outside the hickory and apple work so well combined and then the slight sweet heat from the rub. the corn was tender, Juicy and covered in butter and salt as it should be.

The gas grill is not the Ideal way to cook like this but a smoker is beyond my means for now unless some kind person can pint me in the direction of a reasonably priced charcoal smoker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Tom75

Advertisement